How to prevent the game from creating /home/user/GNUstep and oolite-saves directories?

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

gipi
Harmless
Harmless

How to prevent the game from creating /home/user/GNUstep and oolite-saves directories?

Post by gipi »

I've moved the game to ~/Downloads/OOLITE (I keep all games in that folder), and it runs fine, it just creates nigh empty folders in my home folder when I start it up, is there a way to stop this? I managed to prevent it from creating ~/GNUstep/Library/DTDs by editing the check in the oolite-wrapper file, but I can't figure out how to prevent it from creating the other two.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: How to prevent the game from creating /home/user/GNUstep and oolite-saves directories?

Post by Cholmondely »

Welcome to the dreaded boards! Just hope that you enjoy the game (if not the folders) as much as the rest of us!

No idea, sorry, but one of our beatific and benevolent boffins should be able to lend a hand...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: How to prevent the game from creating /home/user/GNUstep and oolite-saves directories?

Post by hiran »

I'm for sure not a boffing and far from beatific. And what I mention now is not based on knowledge but on what I see in my milky crystal bulb...
But I have seen exactly the behaviour you mention when running Oolite on Linux.

Oolite has been created for the Apple Mac and then ported to other platforms. That means the developers chose a framework available on multiple platforms so the codebase stays platform agnostic. So they decided to build Oolite on top of GNUStep.
It is baked in, you cannot remove it without big fuss.

So the question you raise could be translated into "can GNUStep be configured to not create these default folders?" or "how can I tell GNUStep where to store data?". Unfortunately I do not have an answer to that. Maybe someone else on this forum, or someone from the GNUStep mailing list can help.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite