YouTube playthroughs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: YouTube playthroughs

Post by arquebus »

another_commander wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:55 am
Does the throttle work correctly with other games? It looks like there might be a joystick driver issue there.
It works correctly in every other game I have that allows multiple devices. The only other game I have that doesn't even see the throttle is Freespace 2, which came out before USB 2.0 and doesn't recognize multiple devices at all, anyway.

It would be nice if it worked, but I've gotten used to using my stick hat for throttle, and I have Touch Portal set up on my iPad for all the hotkeys I can't fit on the stick.
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Phew, episode 11 was pretty tense :) I was really suprised at how tough those ships were, you got some pretty decent hits on the baddies but they seemed to just be brushing it off, would have thought they'd have started throwing sparks and stuff, maybe you have an oxp that weakens your guns (or makes the bad guy ships stronger), anyway it's great fun watching these :)
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Griff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:40 am
Phew, episode 11 was pretty tense :) I was really suprised at how tough those ships were, you got some pretty decent hits on the baddies but they seemed to just be brushing it off, would have thought they'd have started throwing sparks and stuff, maybe you have an oxp that weakens your guns (or makes the bad guy ships stronger), anyway it's great fun watching these :)
Thanks!

It's probably something making the enemies stronger, combined with the fact that I'm still using a relatively dinky weapon that I picked up in a bargain bin. I don't know mechanically how NPC ships react to damage - are they shielded, and do the shields recharge if I wait too long to shoot them again? If so, that could also be part of the problem, as my time between hit groups is still fairly low.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

1) Griff (just above) designed the constores which you were admiring. ...and most of the stations which you liked. ...and he designed most of the ships which you liked.

I shouldn't say "which you liked", as it is not just you who likes them. Sorry!

2) Your comments on distances in Oolite: try this:
Cmdr James wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:55 am
Ah, the km, pronounced koom (kuː ʊm) of course! An ancient unit the origins of which are long since lost. Legends tell of prehistoric origins, early scientists trying to express distance in terms of wavelengths of light and indeed some planets, most notably Teceinre, have a celebration to honour the legend which consists of pacing up and down in period costume, holding glass balls (representing ancient light sources) and using a so-called "foot rule" and eyeglass to admire the wavelengths whilst reciting poetry. Claims that this was started by Teceinre marketeers as a way of selling more of their poetry have consistently been denied.
The ludicrous fractions and ratios needed to shoehorn this theory into accepted history or science are however simply not credible and most leading historians hold that it was once defined as a multiple of the average step length of aristos in Old Paris. Sadly through various reformations, rationalisations and standardisation efforts it no longer bears any meaningful relation to its origins and now used mostly by spacers as an indicator of distance generally taken to be the distance a ship would travel in one second when travelling at 0.001 LM or, less formally, half the distance a typical spacer can throw an Ou fruit at standard Isqueder gravity after a few glasses of Tibediedian Arma brandy.
Note that are using a number of the Strangers World oxp's. These change the distances from the Vanilla game where everything is much smaller and closer together.

3) Fuel Scoops. When docked, look at the F4 screen and select Ships Systems>Ship's Library. Instructions are in your ship's manual under Fuel Scoops (you will need External Heat Shielding)
Last edited by Cholmondely on Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

That con store is a masterpiece. Best thing I've seen in the game so far.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Griff's Boa is pretty good too:

I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Oh my god.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

arquebus wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:09 am
Oh my god.

Another of Griff's designs.

Btw, I did enjoy watching your uploads. From your fight in episode 11 I guess that you have either CustomShields.OXP or N-Shields.OXP installed. :wink:
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

I did have Custom Shields installed, but I removed it after that episode. I think I put N-Shields on instead..? I'll have to check. I was informed that perhaps Custom Shields was not the best OXP to have considering my poor combat skills.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

arquebus wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:54 am
I did have Custom Shields installed, but I removed it after that episode. I think I put N-Shields on instead..? I'll have to check. I was informed that perhaps Custom Shields was not the best OXP to have considering my poor combat skills.
Until you got yourself an "iron ass" I personally wouldn't recommend both of them. Space becomes more realistic, but your foes are getting a (lot) more tough. A Night Adder in general isn't a difficult opponent, except suddenly all boosts are activated.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

If you have customshields or n-shields installed, I suggest to also install NPC equipment damage OXP to make it fair again. Otherwise NPC have an unfair advantage.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Good idea!
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

tsoj wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:41 pm
If you have customshields or n-shields installed, I suggest to also install NPC equipment damage OXP to make it fair again. Otherwise NPC have an unfair advantage.
Unfortunately I'm getting a "doesn't have a valid manifest" error when I try to load that one.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

I may have solved it by taking the quotation marks out of the manifest line...? (At least I saw that other OXPs didn't have that, and when I took them out after unzipping the oxz, I didn't get the error again. Remains to be seen whether it actually loaded or not.)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Tip: the really big stations such as the rings, need to be off your scanner before you can witchspace!

Distance from station to allow witchspace jumping varies according to size/mass.

And SG after the name of a ship stands for Sniper Gun
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?