Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Have You Died Yet?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Have You Died Yet?

Post by capt.Pirk »

Ok, I thought I would take simulation to a new level.
I decided that, if I should die then I must start from scratch!
After a few attempts I have progressed really well, with only one scare :)

Current stats:-
Rating: Harmless(2)
Credit: 5,238.5 CR

Ship Spec: ( Cobra MK III )
Large Cargo Bay; ECM; W/Drive Injectors; Adv. Compass; Multi-Target Sys (NG!); Docking Computer; Foward Pulse Laser.

----------- Break Down -----------

1) Sell mounted weapons before anything else! (missiles)

2) Use extra cash for trading goods.

3) When (eventually) you have 400 CR after full cargo capacity
trade, buy large cargo bay.

4) Steer clear of bad systems and 'rake it in!' :D

Personally, I headed for trade between Diso and Leetsi for a long while. Only once did I have to immediately hyperspace back due to 'savage attack'. So, if in doubt have enough fuel to hyperspace out of trouble!
Currently I am between Relaes and Zasoer systems. Nice and close (cheap fuel runs), Average Agri and Ind. markets..

Caveat: I do have the 'extra space station types' OXP.
This means that the Diso/Leetsi systems both have 'TransHab' type staitions, i.e. Geo-stationary line up with entrance is not an issue :)

ToDo: Buy the super shield enhancement next....
Last edited by capt.Pirk on Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

Sorry to diverge from the original theme of your thread but I'd thought I'd relate the following...

Been working away at cargo contracts, got myself a Josher with an extended cargo bay, 60t of space with a passenger berth. Finally got a good enough rep to start shifting precious metals and took on a contract to move 600kg of gold about 55LY for 11k profit! Woo hoo!!

All is going to plan, I jump into each system along the way, head straight to the sun and avoid any potential combat, fill the fuel tanks by scooping what I need and jump to the next system. Obviously meaning, no save at any point...

35 mins or so later (real time :wink:), I have arrived at the destination system. I jump in system right up to the station but decide that I haven't manually docked for a while so I'll give it a go... got very close to the station but decided I was fed up with waiting and couldn't be bothered to line things up correctly so hit C....... and reacted too slowly to stop the docking computer ramming the station with my ship!!!!

Oh bother I said. "Game Over" the screen said.
I thought.. :shock: :( :evil: :evil: :roll: :cry: :oops: :shock: :shock:

Oh well, speed auto docking for me from now on... :wink:
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by capt.Pirk »

Nice plan! Shame about the docking though. I would have been pretty p155ed at that :cry: ( :) ).

Me,? I guess I'm just too old school; Back and forth, back and forth, back...

A good point you make about hyperspacing to your target system (deviate course). This works very well. I tend to 'dip down' and start local jump mode, before bringing myself slowly on target. Sometimes you can get right up to the Orbiting station! :D

Failing that, the injectors are an excellent choice for the impatient and well worth the investment.
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

capt.Pirk wrote:
A good point you make about hyperspacing to your target system (deviate course). This works very well. I tend to 'dip down' and start local jump mode, before bringing myself slowly on target. Sometimes you can get right up to the Orbiting station! :D
Yeah, I do the same but when I'm running a contract I won't bother docking until I get to the destination system. It's (I'm assuming) quicker and you get more money for early deliveries, at least with passengers. So I just jump into a system and head straight for the sun. :)
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by capt.Pirk »

Uncle Reno wrote:
I do the same but when I'm running a contract I won't bother docking until I get to the destination system. It's (I'm assuming) quicker and you get more money for early deliveries, at least with passengers. So I just jump into a system and head straight for the sun. :)
Well, taxi'ing is a different matter. Yes of course you want to be as direct as possible, but, you have to decide risk versus profit errosion..
I am refering to detouring within a planetary system itself, not planetary system waypoints that are a means to an end (i.e. passenger delivery).
FYI, I now have military foward laser mount, extra energy bank, shield boosters AND a maintainance carried out on my ship!
:) :)

Still, I am harmless (now 3 ) with 898.3CR remaining.
Right now life is good. I've avoided trouble and trouble (for the best part) has avoided me.

Now I am born. For the free and fair trader, you have my respect. For the offender and fugitive you will risk my wrath.
The journet begins.... (Amen, but I'm not a religious type! Lol)
Last edited by capt.Pirk on Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

capt.Pirk wrote:
Uncle Reno wrote:
I do the same but when I'm running a contract I won't bother docking until I get to the destination system. It's (I'm assuming) quicker and you get more money for early deliveries, at least with passengers. So I just jump into a system and head straight for the sun. :)
hmm .. I wouldn't assume that if I were you.... I don't think the game code is that intricate to deal with such nuances (yet)...
Actually he's right, and it is.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by capt.Pirk »

aegidian wrote:
capt.Pirk wrote:
Uncle Reno wrote:
hmm .. I wouldn't assume that if I were you.... I don't think the game code is that intricate to deal with such nuances (yet)...
Actually he's right, and it is.
Sorry mate! When you replied, I chnged my reply also ! Lol
capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by capt.Pirk »

Ok, it's humble pie time :oops:
Inspite of clocking another two kills (pirates), a Super Cobra sliced through my enhance shields and extra energy unit like knife through butter...
You won't be suprised to learn that I WILL be using my last save... :lol:

Oh well, nice idea. Didn't work in '84. Didn't work today..
Adult? You gotta wonder! :)
NoSleep
Commander
Commander

Post by NoSleep »

Oolite is not a runthrough game, unlike...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSlPDiDPDcc
This is pretty incredible (no saves)(click full screen and watch it like a film!).
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

I think we need a new game mode, sort of like "Strict Mode" - a "One Life" mode.

When you die in "One life" mode, your save game gets deleted!
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

There has been a similar tread about it but for some reason that was never suggested. I like it! It's kind of 3 levels of difficulty then!
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

NoSleep
Commander
Commander

Post by NoSleep »

winston wrote:
I think we need a new game mode, sort of like "Strict Mode" - a "One Life" mode.

Survivor Mode
capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by capt.Pirk »

winston wrote:

Strict mode. Now there's a thought. :)
Maybe I'll try again as such. I might look at temporarily moving out some OXP's as well.
My Cobra was loaded to the hilt. It should've faired better.. :?