New ship, Naval Energy Unit

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: New ship, Naval Energy Unit

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Switeck wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:31 am
...slightly faster than supposed "fighter" types like Fer-de-Lances, Geckos, Kraits, and Morays.
I'd be hard pressed to call the Ferdy and Moray fighters, in the classic sense. The Ferdy has a low profile, but it's totally an overpriced underperformer. And the Moray? As a flying submarine, it's in a club all it's own.

Kraits and Geckos are supposed to be fighters, yeah, but like most of the core fighters, they're lacking in performance. Only the Asp and Constrictor are in the zone so far as fighter performance goes. And the Viper Interceptor... is that one in the core shipset? I know it's in Griff's oxp shipset.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:03 pm
And the Viper Interceptor... is that one in the core shipset?
Short answer: yes!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Kraits and Geckos are supposed to be fighters, yeah, but like most of the core fighters, they're lacking in performance. Only the Asp and Constrictor are in the zone so far as fighter performance goes. And the Viper Interceptor... is that one in the core shipset? I know it's in Griff's oxp shipset.
OXP ships put things in a different scale.

But in any case, Thargoids and Thargons are faster than almost anything short of a missile...so I guess that means only the Constrictor is a true fighter!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Switeck wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:37 am
OXP ships put things in a different scale.

But in any case, Thargoids and Thargons are faster than almost anything short of a missile...so I guess that means only the Constrictor is a true fighter!
hehe, Good point!

But the Thargs have technological superiority over GalCop, and easily outclass anything Galcop can muster.

OXP superships aside of course.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

And ultimately it comes down to people's play style whether the Boa Class Cruiser is "fast enough".
Even few add-on ships have its combination of some speed and 100+ TC cargo capacity.

While it looks ideal to do cargo contracts, actually the "best" ship for that is the Python...since it is cheaper and the main reason for doing them is to make enough credits to buy a better ship.
Once I got a Boa 2, I was only doing Gold/Plat/Gem cargo contracts other than very quick other contracts that didn't "clutter" my cargo bay for long.