New ship, Naval Energy Unit

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

3DH
Competent
Competent

New ship, Naval Energy Unit

Post by 3DH »

Translator:
I haven't played for a long time and I don't remember some things. For example, is it possible to somehow transfer the equipment of an old ship to a new one? If not, where can I buy the Naval Energy Unit?

Is the Boa Class Cruiser the best ship I can buy from Oolite?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: New ship, Naval Energy Unit

Post by Cholmondely »

3DH wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:54 pm
Translator:
I haven't played for a long time and I don't remember some things. For example, is it possible to somehow transfer the equipment of an old ship to a new one? If not, where can I buy the Naval Energy Unit?

Welcome back!

I'm no expert on this.

I do understand that one can only buy the NEU if it is already included with a new ship which you are buying - ie you cannot buy an NEU all by itself for your current ship.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

You would have to make changes to your save-file to transfer your NEU to another ship.
In effect, you would switch to another ship in your save-file, instead of buying it.
That depends. Of the core player ships (other than the Cobra MKIII)... probably.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

If the equipment item doesn’t transfer automatically to a new ship, then your out of luck in the base game. However, the Equipment Storage OXP allows you to store equipment and install it on another ship, so there is a way to do it using expansions.
3DH
Competent
Competent

Post by 3DH »

Thanks for the answers. I don't want to use OXP and I don't want to modify the save file either. I have another question. How often do the offers in stores change? I am asking because on the old game save I saw a Boa Class Cruiser + NEU available for purchase in Xevera. Now there is Boa but no NEU.

So it's not up to date anymore?
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Naval_Energy_Unit
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

3DH wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:31 am
Thanks for the answers. I don't want to use OXP and I don't want to modify the save file either. I have another question. How often do the offers in stores change? I am asking because on the old game save I saw a Boa Class Cruiser + NEU available for purchase in Xevera. Now there is Boa but no NEU.

So it's not up to date anymore?
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Naval_Energy_Unit
I've been doing much of the work editing the wiki over the past year. But I try not to tamper with what I know I'm ignorant about. Never earned the NEU - or bought a new ship! I just bounce around the galaxy in decaying cobras!

If I understood what you wrote, you saved the game with the NEU'd Boa for sale and it had been sold when you restarted, but another Boa was on sale instead. Which is what one would expect, no?

What do you think needs changing on our wiki page?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
3DH
Competent
Competent

Post by 3DH »

Sorry Cholmondely, I didn't understand everything. Anyway, I found my dream ship with NEU in Geonbi:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cool!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

3DH wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:13 pm
Sorry Cholmondely, I didn't understand everything. Anyway, I found my dream ship with NEU in Geonbi
Not cheap!

You might have noticed that there has been a lot of discussion of different keyboards and the problems with playing Oolite on some of them.
Can I just ask: which keyboard do you use? AZERTY? QWERTZ? Another one?

And how good are the translations of the wiki and of this bulletin board?

Reference: Language
Comments wanted:
3DH
Competent
Competent

Post by 3DH »

I'm using the qwerty keyboard, but I'm using a more Dualshock 4 controller. By the way it's nice that you added docking in the controller configuration.

As for the translation, I won't say anything because my language isn't there.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

3DH wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:56 pm
I'm using the qwerty keyboard, but I'm using a more Dualshock 4 controller. By the way it's nice that you added docking in the controller configuration.

As for the translation, I won't say anything because my language isn't there.
I see the DualShock 4 offers vibration feedback. Have you tried out the jitter handling option with BGS? Is it the same thing?

And what is your language? Is it one we should be worrying about? The list of languages on the wiki Language page is purely based on the languages for which there is some sort of support. There are not many, and the support is pretty feeble...

Docking was added some time ago (presumably by a_c_ , getafix or phkb). Phkb is now looking at expanding the controller/joystick mapping possibilities yet again, to include all the various key-commands!
Comments wanted:
3DH
Competent
Competent

Post by 3DH »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:44 am
I see the DualShock 4 offers vibration feedback. Have you tried out the jitter handling option with BGS? Is it the same thing?
I do not have any vibration on the DS4. I don't even want to. I never liked it.
I haven't tried BGS. The Oolite core alone is enough for me.
And what is your language? Is it one we should be worrying about? The list of languages on the wiki Language page is purely based on the languages for which there is some sort of support. There are not many, and the support is pretty feeble...
Polish.
Docking was added some time ago (presumably by a_c_ , getafix or phkb). Phkb is now looking at expanding the controller/joystick mapping possibilities yet again, to include all the various key-commands!
Cool. It would be even better if there were a combination of buttons.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

3DH wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:23 pm
Polish.
There are a number oxp's written by Poles: Useful MFDs, Engine Trails, Laser Colors, Elite Ranks, Standalone Font, Chupacabra HUD, Numeric HUD, Cyan HUD, & Vimana HUD (my personal favourite).

Zireael allegedly started playing Oolite to teach himself English. There is a rumour that he programmed all his pirates to speak in Received Pronounciation (an aristocratic pronounciation), whilst his police vipers spoke with a cockney accent. OSH still drops in from time to time. Gnievmir appeared a year ago, gave us his Vimana HUD and then disappeared again!
Comments wanted:
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Yes and no.
For taking on those lucrative long-haul freight contracts, a definite yes. The BCC has a looooooot of cargo room, which the Cobbie simply lacks.

How Ever! It is really big, kinda slow, and totally does not turn on a dime. An easy target for pirates.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

The Boa Class Cruiser is hard to dock cleanly because it is so large.
But it is reasonably maneuverable and slightly faster than supposed "fighter" types like Fer-de-Lances, Geckos, Kraits, and Morays.
While it may be easy to hit, it is really tough with all the standard game add-on equipment.