Anyone here who wants to guide a total noob?

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

MaxPushups
Harmless
Harmless

Anyone here who wants to guide a total noob?

Post by MaxPushups »

hi! im new to this awesome game but ive had quite a hard start getting things done, to cut to the chase i'm basically looking for someone who can basically mentor me on how to play this game properly and progress, i'm available on discord : MaxPushups#9661
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Anyone here who wants to guide a total noob?

Post by Cholmondely »

MaxPushups wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:45 pm
hi! im new to this awesome game but ive had quite a hard start getting things done, to cut to the chase i'm basically looking for someone who can basically mentor me on how to play this game properly and progress, i'm available on discord : MaxPushups#9661
Never heard of discord, sorry!

Welcome to the merry throng!

Tips:

1) Tutorial. This is good (although would be interested if you had any criticisms)
2) OoliteRS.pdf which comes as part of the game download (search for it). I printed it out when I started with Oolite a year and a half ago and found it invaluable.
3) Mr Gimlet - also part of the game download - advice for just qualified pilots!
4) Wiki help pages: docking, combat, pirates, trading etc

Why not see what you think of those, and tell us what you're trying to do and then we can come up with more suggestions.
Last edited by Cholmondely on Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:13 pm
Never heard of discord...
All hail Eris!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

MaxPushups wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:45 pm
A little more:

1) My technique
Personally speaking, unlike Cody above, I'm useless at combat. So I run a lot!
Starting at Lave, I load up on food/textiles/wine and fly east to Zaonce. Sell everything, buy fuel, buy computers/machinery etc and then fly further east to Isinor. Then bounce between Isinor and Tionisla until I've kitted out my ship. Then I go exploring. You will quickly learn to recognise orbital stations from a distance, so you will know where to aim for. You can make good profits buying gold/platinum/gems from Rock Hermits if you can find any (usually in asteroid clusters - adding Icesteroids can make them a little more visible from a distance). Beware pirate-infested rock hermits!

Market Observer is vital to seeing where/if you are making profits (unless you prefer pencil and paper).

Ship Upgrades: since I'm running from pirates, witchfuel injectors are invaluable. If you are a combat-type, they also help in dog-fights.

2) Possible Issues:
Pirates. As mentioned above, my combat skills are too ghastly to tackle these McNasties. When I arrive at Zaonce, I turn at 90º from the planet, whizz along for 20 seconds or so and then turn back towards the planet. This usually avoids the McNasties. It usually avoids mass-lock scenarios too!

If you find Isinor too pirate-infested you can either (i) download Galactic Navy which turns Isinor into a naval base with lots of pirate-zapping naval types sitting at the witchpoint beacon, or (ii) download Paddling Pool from the in-game Expansions Manager which changes the political complexion of the region west of Lave to something much safer. You then have to get over there!

Docking. If this is a pain, have a look at the OXP list at the bottom of the Docking Computers wiki page for gubbins that appeals. Or redo the in-game tutorial (lesson #7).

3) Next steps
Once you have the basics of the game worked out, you can then start deciding how you wish to tailor your ooniverse with the choice of 1000+ oxp's that are out there!

Have a look at Career Options and see if any appeal.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Get clear of the arrival point as fast as you can - that's the most common place to run into pirates, and more tend to arrive if you stay near the buoy.

Get in close if you have to dog-fight and do a lot of manoeuvring, if you try to fight at long distances it just gives your enemies a clear shot without having to manoeuvre too much or worry about hitting their friends.

Fuel injectors are the most useful add-on until you get a ton of cash, and if you have them there's a neat trick you can play with jump drive; hold the fuel injector button down once you're jumping, and if you get mass locked you will get a few seconds of higher than usual speed coming out of jump, which you don't get if you press the button after you are massed locked - that can be a big help in getting past an ambush.

Ordinary missiles aren't very useful unless you run into relatively incompetent pirates, most have countermeasures, so if you're short of cash for buying fuel injectors it may be worthwhile selling off a missile or two. Replace them when you can, but don't worry too much about being down a couple, if you need to fire all missiles you're probably going to die anyway.

Once you have more money look at better lasers, shields, power supplies, etc.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Did anybody come to help on Discord?
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:27 pm
Probably this message is a hoax. If that person really wanted help he/she would have monitored this thread.
So this is a lure into another forum. Which could be a wormhole into a better universe. Or worse. We do not know.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:04 pm
Probably this message is a hoax. If that person really wanted help he/she would have monitored this thread.
So this is a lure into another forum. Which could be a wormhole into a better universe. Or worse. We do not know.
There are better universes?
Comments wanted:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:18 pm
I certainly hope so, if this one is the best, I don't want to have even a look at the others. :D
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:07 am
I certainly hope so, if this one is the best, I don't want to have even a look at the others. :D
Have you been reading Leibniz again?
Comments wanted:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:33 am
montana05 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:07 am
Have you been reading Leibniz again?
While I do read Leibniz once in a while, this comment was just based on my cynicism. Hopefully there is a universe with fewer morons walking around on planet Earth. :roll:
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cody

Post by Cody »

There are many universes, some huge, others tiny. The Ooniverse could be called a "pocket universe".
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

hiran wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:04 pm
IMHO, Discord is faaaaar from the better universe. Like Twitter and Facebook, it's a best avoided dimension of suffering and misery.
...But that's just one mad old Lizard's opinion.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

I'm on Discord, and on Oolite's Discord server from time to time, but the request wasn't sent through that portal. I think they were asking for someone on Discord to reach out to them using their ID (which would be similar to making a phone call).
Cody

Post by Cody »

There's an Oolite Discord? My only experience of Discord is the Alliance Space Guard channel.