Galactic Almanac OXZ - Full Version 0.93 (Updated 04.05.24 - Now on the Expansion Manager)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Re: Galactic Almanac OXP - Full Version 0.7 (Updated to 0.7 on 09.06.22)

Post by LittleBear »

The conflict is unavoidable really as Planetary Compass will name all the planets with the name of the system ie: Lave II, Lave III etc and you can't really have two packs naming the planets and moons. Although In System cargo delivery has planetary compass as a requirement, this is only because it's script gets the names of the planets in the local system by reading the names assigned by the planetary compass script with this code:

Code: Select all

this.$scanSystem = function()
    {
    this.$planetNameList = worldScripts["planetaryCompass_worldScript.js"].planetNames;
    this.$planetList = worldScripts["planetaryCompass_worldScript.js"].stellarArray;
    }
However, it isn't really necessary to make in system cargo delivery dependant on another OXP as the check for planets in the system can be internally in the same why spara's in-system distances does (or the way the Almanac does it with the this.nameplanetsandmoons function.

I think copying and pasting the planets function from either the Almanac or Planetary Compass would do and avoid the dependancy. But that really needs an update to Strangers World.

BTW have you had a chance to give 0.7 a proof read for the new mission text?
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Galactic Almanac OXP - Full Version 0.7 (Updated to 0.7 on 09.06.22)

Post by Cholmondely »

LittleBear wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:41 pm
BTW have you had a chance to give 0.7 a proof read for the new mission text?
"random_station_names_12_news" = "The mysterious double ... The Xexdian Technical Support Team ...";
Should this be Xexedian?
"random_station_names_16_news" = "We apologise ... furry humanoid abord an...
\n\n... to the Zanoce system ...";[/color]
Should these be aboard & Zaonce? (one presumes Zaonce rather than Zarece)
"random_station_names_17_news" = "It would ... Tionisla Chronical managed ...\n\n...into Zanoce at ... the Chronical didn't ...";
Should these be Chronicle & Zaonce?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
re:
"random_station_names_18_news"
Have you had a good look at Library.oxp & GalCop Missions?
Library's F4 screen PAD has pages for GALCOP, Guilds & Infos (and some juicy medals tucked away inside the .oxp folder).
GalCop Missions provides a Reputation and Awards page on the F4 screen.

You might find point in tweaking one of them in connection with 18_news... - and also invoking Home System's effects for Lave...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Re: Galactic Almanac OXZ - Full Version 0.8 - Now on the Expansion Pack Manager (Updated to 0.8 on 07.07.22)

Post by LittleBear »

Converted to OXZ format and now available on the Expansion Pack Manager.

Full Version 0.8 - 07.07.22. This version converts the expansion to OXZ format, fixes a compatibility problem with the Interface Reordering OXP (solution by PHKB) and corrects some typos and spelling errors.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Galactic Almanac OXZ - Full Version 0.8 - Now on the Expansion Pack Manager (Updated 07.07.22)

Post by Cholmondely »

Umm - currently on that mission of yours. Your sense of humour, Sir LittleBear, is evil. I think that there is no other description which truly fits.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Galactic Almanac OXZ - Full Version 0.8 - Now on the Expansion Pack Manager (Updated 07.07.22)

Post by Nite Owl »

Been giving your work the once over as is my usual procedure when something new is released in a final form. It is taking lots of time to do so given the size of the main JavaScript file but that time is well spent. Why it is time well spent is due to the incredible number of clever, witty, and time framed references buried in the names you have chosen for things, it is truly amazing. Well done.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Just to say, I'm currently visiting Venice, and visiting the Merchant of Venice orbital station was a thrill! As was docking at Ockham's Razor!.

I've just finished bringing the shrubbery back to Zadies and hope to present a full report of typos in due course!
Comments wanted:
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Galactic Almanac OXZ - Full Version 0.8 - Now on the Expansion Pack Manager (Updated to 0.8 on 07.07.22)

Post by cag »

pm...
"Better to be thought a fool, boy, than to open your trap and remove all doubt." - Grandma [over time, just "Shut your trap... fool"]
"The only stupid questions are the ones you fail to ask." - Dad
How do I...? Nevermind.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

pm...
Comments wanted:
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

What is the conflict list for this? I had the beta installed but now I see that the EPM version is brown and has a conflict with something installed. (So it must have been conflicting before, too?)
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:42 pm
What is the conflict list for this? I had the beta installed but now I see that the EPM version is brown and has a conflict with something installed. (So it must have been conflicting before, too?)
Conflicts with Planetary Compass (which then breaks the In-System Cargo Delivery from Stranger's World). Otherwise, LittleBear seems to have twisted himself into knots to make this oxp compatible with everything else out there...
Comments wanted:
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Ah, that's a bummer, but I get it. Need to decide now which one I want to keep...
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

The almanac duplicates the code in Planetary Compass as this OXP only names moons (but not planets or stations), so you don't really need both as the Almanac will deploy all of Thardoids names to moons but in addition names the other objects in the system.

You can play with both installed if you need to, but Planetary Compass won't do anything as it will be overwritten by the almanac code.

The only snag with both installed is then when you first load up a save game Planetary Compass will name the moons so you'll see two beacons for each moon one with the Planetary Compass name and one with the Almanac . Once you've made a hyperspace jump then everything is only named by the Almanac, but you will get this double naming the first time you launch from a saved game.

I could take out the conflict for the next version and just add a warning message, but if you tweak the manifest.plist to comment out the conflict like this:

"conflict_oxps" = (
	{
	//"identifier" = "oolite.oxp.Thargoid.PlanetaryCompass";
	//"description" = "Conflicts with Planetary Compass as both OXZ name moons. The names from the Moon Packs are therefore incorporated into the Galactic Almanac OXZ.";
	}
	);	
} 
The you can play with both installed if you wish. It would be better really though to tweak In-System Delivery by getting its list of moons and planets from the entities in the system in the same way In System Taxi does.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

LittleBear wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:22 pm
The you can play with both installed if you wish. It would be better really though to tweak In-System Delivery by getting its list of moons and planets from the entities in the system in the same way In System Taxi does.
I'd much rather do as you suggest, but as a dumb pilot I've found that any attempt to use intelligence or common sense to tweak code immediately leads to problems I'm incapable of tackling... (despite much effort by Phkb - or even yourself - to educate me). It only seems to work when each minor jot and tittle is given to me on a silver platter (rather frustrating, despite Arabella's preference for silver platters).
Comments wanted:
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

I'll replace it with a warning for V0.9, but you've just got to add the \\

The manifest ends like this:

"conflict_oxps" = (
	{
	"identifier" = "oolite.oxp.Thargoid.PlanetaryCompass";
	"description" = "Conflicts with Planetary Compass as both OXZ name moons. The names from the Moon Packs are therefore incorporated into the Galactic Almanac OXZ.";
	}
	);	
}
If you add the \\ to each line so it now looks like this:

"conflict_oxps" = (
	{
	//"identifier" = "oolite.oxp.Thargoid.PlanetaryCompass";
	//"description" = "Conflicts with Planetary Compass as both OXZ name moons. The names from the Moon Packs are therefore incorporated into the Galactic Almanac OXZ.";
	}
	);	
}
Then it'll run with Planetary Compass installed.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Finally had time for some extensive testing with the Galactic Almanac installed. All went well with the following exception. It popped up every so often in Mr. Latest Log.

[script.javaScript.unrootedTimer]: ----- WARNING: Timer <OOJSTimer 0x491c0b50>{nextTime: 171, interval: 1, running, function: almanacupdateDistance} is being garbage-collected while still running. You must keep a reference to all running timers, or they will stop unpredictably!
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon