Law: Legal Consequences

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Law: Legal Consequences

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:21 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:15 pm
... the Navy is too important to bother with such minutiae (and the ships should ignore it too unless there is a massive bounty involved)
This is how it should be!
Quite agree! But can we get Oolite to do it? Do we have sufficient shades of grey when applying the purple police colouration to ships on the scanner?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

This also applies to Galactic Navy command stations, despite that fact that their ships do! I'm not sure that this makes much sense. Maybe a Galactic Navy override could address the issue. Either the Navy is too important to bother with such minutiae (and the ships should ignore it too unless there is a massive bounty involved), or the stations should have a similar aegis to the main orbital system.
The original GN ships have a scan class police but customized AI's and therefore usually don't care about crimes. The stations on the other hand got a defense group and do scan ships approaching them.

My modification changed the scan class to military and gave bounties per ship script.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:52 pm
Quite agree! But can we get Oolite to do it? Do we have sufficient shades of grey when applying the purple police colouration to ships on the scanner?
I think part of the point has been missed. Oolite simply does whatever the OXP tells it to, there is nothing stopping two people from implementing a navy OXP and having them behave differently. For example one may decide that military police are police and enforce law the other may decide military police do not care about "normal" laws.

This is by intent, one player may chose to play in a starwars themed oonverse another with complex legal systems and another direct from the 80s without so much as filled vector graphics. The whole idea that things should be standardized is a minefield; questions such as whether the navy enforces law has no real canon behind it and its up to the OXP and or the player to decide how their ooniverse acts.

We could of course "fix" an OXP to do as we wish but one mans fix is another mans bug.
The Main orbital system station has a much closer relationship with GalCop than other GalCop aligned stations do. That's why they have a meaningful aegis and report to GalCop on what happens within it.
But thats only how things are now. According to canon (if my memory serves) there should be multiple "main" stations each with an aegis, and its only a matter of time before an OXP works out how to do this elegantly.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cmdr James wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:23 am
Cholmondely wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:52 pm
...Oolite simply does whatever the OXP tells it to...
...The whole idea that things should be standardized is a minefield...
The Main orbital system station has a much closer relationship with GalCop than other GalCop aligned stations do. That's why they have a meaningful aegis and report to GalCop on what happens within it.
But thats only how things are now. According to canon (if my memory serves) there should be multiple "main" stations each with an aegis, and its only a matter of time before an OXP works out how to do this elegantly.
Sorry - I was unclear. I was trying to sum up the situation in the Vanilla game. This hopefully might spur one or two people on to experiment.

But as for oolite simply doing whatever an oxp tells it to...
Cholmondely wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:31 am
Returning to the theme!

Summary of the State of Play so far.
Disembodied wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:51 am
It might be easier to list what can't be changed ... here's my attempt at such a list (which of course is only as accurate as my own knowledge and understanding, so I wouldn't rely on it):

1) You can't assign new functions to new keyboard presses.

2) You can't change the fundamental physics of Oolite spaceflight.

3) You can't (directly) give a ship a range of more than 7 light-years in one jump.
phkb wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:16 pm
4) You can't directly reference and/or assign a script to a character.

5) You can't detect when the player changes the selected menu item on a mission screen. (You only know they selected it if they press "enter" while it's selected)

6 ) The only keypress that can be "read" from a mission screen is "enter": ie. from a standard mission screen with a simple menu, you can't for instance, determine if the player presses "shift-X', or "alt-P", or even simpler ones like "q", "w", "e" etc. You can read a line of entered data on a mission screen with a specific setting (the "textEntry" property of the runScreen parameters object), but you can't interact with individual key presses.

(Renumbered from Phkb's original)
What about the following:

a) Putting a second sun in a solar system (can one create something like a sun and place it even if the game code won't call it a sun)?

b) Have more than 256 systems in a galaxy?

c) Introduce a 9th galaxy into the game

d) Have a 3-D galaxy

e) Change the behaviour of commodity prices so that they do not simply range between the two poles of poor agricultural & rich industrial:
ie create something needing a mainly industrial system (eg medicine) which would be cheapest in mainly industrial systems and then get more expensive as one moved out to the poor agri & rich ind at the ends of the economic spectrum.
From: What "can" be changed without re-compiling? (this was the last attempt at a summary, the discussion went further).
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:53 am
From: What "can" be changed without re-compiling? (this was the last attempt at a summary, the discussion went further).
When it comes to police/law, nearly everything could be changed.

There are several customized station AI's, "GN" or "Seedy Space Bars" are only 2 of them. Therefore, you can script a similar behavior like the main station for any station.

Thargoid had a "Search & Destroy" AI, basically attacking everything in scanner range with a bounty. There are corrupted vipers who suddenly change the AI and decide to attack instead of protect you.

The way I see it is that you got GalCop police and local police, both not always following the same laws and therefore react different.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:59 pm
When it comes to police/law, nearly everything could be changed.

There are several customized station AI's, "GN" or "Seedy Space Bars" are only 2 of them. Therefore, you can script a similar behavior like the main station for any station.

Thargoid had a "Search & Destroy" AI, basically attacking everything in scanner range with a bounty. There are corrupted vipers who suddenly change the AI and decide to attack instead of protect you.

The way I see it is that you got GalCop police and local police, both not always following the same laws and therefore react different.
I could not agree more!

So this is built into GN, you say. How impressive! But is this also true for Commies, Dictators, & Feudal paradises? One presumes that there is no local police force in an anarchy!
Comments wanted:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:38 pm
I could not agree more!

So this is built into GN, you say. How impressive! But is this also true for Commies, Dictators, & Feudal paradises? One presumes that there is no local police force in an anarchy!
Well, not exactly, the S&D Ai is part of the Aquatics ships, the space bars are bounty hunters/assassins so mainly react to bounties. Corrupted police was part of my GN XT, there was a mission to hunt them down.

Commies and Dictators have customized AI's (pretty sure about that) but I need to have a look to tell you what's the difference. Anarchies might have mercenaries hired by GalCop to support the outnumbered forces there. At least that was my concept for the CWC (mercenaries) module of GN XT. :roll:
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Sorry - I was unclear. I was trying to sum up the situation in the Vanilla game. This hopefully might spur one or two people on to experiment.
In that case you are worrying about thnigs which you dont need to. There is only ever one station, there is no such thing as a local police force and there is no navy.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Cmdr James wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:44 pm
In that case you are worrying about things which you don't need to. There is only ever one station, there is no such thing as a local police force and there is no navy.
Of course.

But if I add simple oxp's which don't twiddle with legal behaviour (eg Superhubs, Zieman Habitats, Sothis, Redspear's planets with PAGroove's extra stations, etc), the behaviour is presumably as I described.
Comments wanted: