When Playing Elite-A, another BBC Micro Emulation for Elite.......

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Commander Mick
Competent
Competent

When Playing Elite-A, another BBC Micro Emulation for Elite.......

Post by Commander Mick »

In this game your flying a Adder instead of Cobra Mark Three and you start with 500 Credits. This is it here....

http://bbcmicro.co.uk//jsbeeb/play.php? ... ssd&noseek

Playing in a browser. I just restarted the game after starting the game doing a textile (8 tons, because that's all a Adder can take.) run from Lave to Leesti and after I docked and sold all my textiles with a profit of roughly one credits difference. I brought a fuel scoop and accidently pressed f12 going back to the dos emulation starter screen. I then refreshed the page to play again and with my 200 of my 500 credits I brought a I.F.F. System. Not really knowing what that is, I use Google and still don't know.

Anybody know enough about this version of the game to know what this is and how to use it?
Right on Commander!!
Cdr. Jettison
Average
Average

Re: When Playing Elite-A, another BBC Micro Emulation for Elite.......

Post by Cdr. Jettison »

From the Elite-A Hints page:
The first hurdle is ship identification. The Large Cargo Bay has been replaced by an IFF device which allows identification from the scanner image. When your possess one of these useful items the scanner club's colour depends upon the type of vessel. The categories are:
  • Official - Space Stations, Vipers, some shuttles, Escape pods (appear yellow)
  • Legal ship - Mostly traders, some shuttles and some bounty hunters (appear green)
  • Illegal vessel - Pirates, Thargoids, some bounty hunters (appear green/red)
  • Missile - (appear yellow/red)
  • Debris - Cargo canisters, Alloys, Lumps of rock (appear green/yellow)
Without the IFF device you have to be careful. The only sure way to know is to wait and see if you are attacked as now even some small fighter craft are innocent. When ships appear in groups an educated guess can be made. The ships in a group usually start off in a line. If they diverge rapidly then they are probably pirates, but groups of Police Vipers breaking off and heading for the planet do the same thing. Groups of trader craft and freighters may behave in a similar manner but their poor maneuverability gives them away. You follow this method of identification at your peril although when you meet large groups of ships at Anarchy rated planets — shooting first and asking questions later may be your only chance of survival.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cdr. Jettison wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:35 pm
From the Elite-A Hints page:
The first hurdle is ship identification. The Large Cargo Bay has been replaced by an IFF device which allows identification from the scanner image. When your possess one of these useful items the scanner club's colour depends upon the type of vessel. The categories are:
  • Official - Space Stations, Vipers, some shuttles, Escape pods (appear yellow)
  • Legal ship - Mostly traders, some shuttles and some bounty hunters (appear green)
  • Illegal vessel - Pirates, Thargoids, some bounty hunters (appear green/red)
  • Missile - (appear yellow/red)
  • Debris - Cargo canisters, Alloys, Lumps of rock (appear green/yellow)
Without the IFF device you have to be careful. The only sure way to know is to wait and see if you are attacked as now even some small fighter craft are innocent. When ships appear in groups an educated guess can be made. The ships in a group usually start off in a line. If they diverge rapidly then they are probably pirates, but groups of Police Vipers breaking off and heading for the planet do the same thing. Groups of trader craft and freighters may behave in a similar manner but their poor maneuverability gives them away. You follow this method of identification at your peril although when you meet large groups of ships at Anarchy rated planets — shooting first and asking questions later may be your only chance of survival.
From that explanation it sounds like Identification Friend or Foe
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Commander Mick
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Mick »

thanx...
Right on Commander!!