Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Brilliant but broken...

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Brilliant but broken...

Post by Cody »

A thought occurs: am I allowed to use "sniggers" these days? An auto-censor would probably reject it, for obvious reasons.

Sometimes I wish for an auto-censor. I'd have it set so every time someone types "launch" it'd change it to "lunch".
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:47 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:38 pm
No more, no less. And no {'s either. Not one.
You need a single “{“ right at the beginning of the file, before anything else, and a single “}” right at the end. Otherwise Oolite won’t recognise it as a plist file.
Thanks. I added both, Oolite seems not to have rejected the plist, but seems not to have implemented it either.

I'm much more concerned about the curly parentheses. I get this particular error message all the time. And then the OXP does not work (See SIRF thread: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 05#p278905)

How can Oolite say that there is an unexpected one at the beginning of the file when there are none in the file?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody

Post by Cody »

<grins> Does it work if you use the entire descriptions.plist, with just that one line edited?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:25 pm
<grins> Does it work if you use the entire descriptions.plist, with just that one line edited?
I've so far failed to break open my copy of Oolite to do that sort of thing. In the AppleMac, everything is secreted away to stop people being able to look at things. Nanny knows best. Apple won't even let you open an application which they have not sold you without forcing you to go through all sorts of idiotic procedures. Such as Oolite, Gimp, Freedroid, etc.

Fascists, in a word.

The early AppleMacs were superb. System 6. System 7. It's been downhill on rollerskates ever since.

But I should be able to get it if I root around in GitHub.
Last edited by Cholmondely on Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody

Post by Cody »

How very Jobsian!
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:11 pm
Cody wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:16 pm
Drop a copy of the core descriptions.plist into your personal Config folder, and tinker... thus:

Code: Select all

"number-group-separator"	= ",";
Tried it, no joy yet, tinkering will commence! I already have one or two ideas...

Thanks for the tip!
I'm getting this again:
21:21:54.764 [plist.parse.failed]: Failed to parse /Users/accountname/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns/Config/descriptions.plist as a property list.
Unexpected character { at line 1

What is it with these curly parantheses?

I popped the descriptions.plist in the config folder in my AddOns folder, just as Cody said.

The descriptions plist has just this "number-group-separator" = ","; in it.

What are these curly parantheses that Oolite is wittering on about? Where are they? Is it some sort of fetish or crazed paranoia?
I checked a different path on my system that should relate to the one you mentioned:
/.../GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite
but can only find a ManagedAddons folder - no Addons. So I am guessing you are playing around with addons not installed by the Expansion Manager.

But then within AddOns you have Config - would there not be a directory for the addon name? Where does the file you have come from? Is it something that you typed yourself? Also the error message looks strange for the given file content. How come the parser complains about an unexpected curly brace when there is none in the file?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:31 am
I checked a different path on my system that should relate to the one you mentioned:
but can only find a ManagedAddons folder - no Addons. So I am guessing you are playing around with addons not installed by the Expansion Manager.

But then within AddOns you have Config - would there not be a directory for the addon name? Where does the file you have come from? Is it something that you typed yourself? Also the error message looks strange for the given file content. How come the parser complains about an unexpected curly brace when there is none in the file?
It's dear old Cody...

some time back he suggested creating a Config folder within my AddOns Folder and putting a shipdata-overrides.plist in to re-jig my Rock Hermits (tunnel, beacon etc).

this was another such suggestion for the same folder.

It's easier than an oxp, and boy is it easier to tweak...!

But yes, the curly brace business is quite bizarre.
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:32 am
hiran wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:31 am

It's dear old Cody...

some time back he suggested creating a Config folder within my AddOns Folder and putting a shipdata-overrides.plist in to re-jig my Rock Hermits (tunnel, beacon etc).

this was another such suggestion for the same folder.

It's easier than an oxp, and boy is it easier to tweak...!

But yes, the curly brace business is quite bizarre.
I take it then that all .plist files should actually be a dictionary even if the Oolite error message is indicating a list.

And indeed the behaviour on MacOS can vary - check out this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Property_list#History
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Milo wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:13 am
A good idea to consolidate a list like this. You noted only one as having no license (Galactic Navy), does that mean the rest are under CC?

Torus Field Monitor is a handy concept, however if you have an MFD that displays your ship's speed numerically, you may notice that it increases as you get farther away from other objects and decreases as you near them (to a point). Whenever your Torus speed is holding steady, you are within 4x scanner range of something. It doesn't tell you if that something is in front of you or off to the side, though.
You were spot on, as usual. I've gone through the list adding all the license & year details from the .oxp's & their wiki pages. I should have thought of that myself!

The Torus Field Monitor probably works. I downloaded it to prise it open for the ReadMe - Alaric produced at least 2 earlier versions, and when you look at his work, you can see that he was hoping to build on the idea - lots of new equipment, etc. Did you ever try SOTL Altmap? When the boojums approach with their Torus drives, they glow with a lambent sheen - most impressive!
Comments wanted:
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

phkb wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:47 pm
You need a single “{“ right at the beginning of the file, before anything else, and a single “}” right at the end. Otherwise Oolite won’t recognise it as a plist file.
One would think that in an ideal world, this would be documented somewhere, probably wherever a "plist" is defined.
But having lived in the Real World (TM) for slightly more than three-score days and ten, that expectation gets modified to it being documented in a post in Czech, on a Chinese bulletin board run off a Raspberry Pi powered from a solar panel whose heliostat is set to follow the Moon.

Also, I do hope that 0x00 0x7B 0x7D produces something horribly different from 0x7B 0x00 0x7D when being read as a plist. HCF or worse.

Why am I thinking of Whitespace.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
Cody

Post by Cody »

RockDoctor wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:59 pm
But having lived in the Real World (TM) for slightly more than three-score days and ten...
I do so hope that's a typo!
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Cody wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:33 pm
But having lived in the Real World (TM) for slightly more than three-score days and ten...
I do so hope that's a typo!
Emphasis added.
Remember, in Wellington's words, I'm a geologist, and a few million days here or there is pretty much negligible.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

Why am I thinking of Whitespace.
https://gitlab.com/tsoj/whitespacechess
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

As well as the Broken OXP's, there are also the unfinished OXP's such as Amber Moon Chronicles, The Collector, HIMSN, Hotrods OXP, Cloud City OXP, Colonization, Final Capital, New Deal etc.

Can anybody help supply names of unfinished oxp's for the list?

Amber Moon Chronicles

Cloud City

Colonization

Final Capital

New Deal
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Found SimonB's Ubertharg and added it to the list.

Also put up a wikipage for it with Amah's instructions for fixing it.

I presume that they work!

Comments wanted: