Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

MultiPlayer Proof Of Concept: Oolite Communicator

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: MultiPlayer Proof Of Concept: Oolite Communicator

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:15 pm
Hiran:

just stumbled across this: Multi Player Capability - I have development resources!! (2015)
Interesting. But the hackathon is over, the resources likely no more available. And I checked, but the architecture document is no longer behind that link either.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

While we are back to this topic:

There was a quite good multiplayer flight simulator out about a decade before Oolite emerged. Who played Descent?
I think the whole plot was placed 'indoor' into a mine to not have to render objects too far away.

But: Hardware has become so much more capable these days that this limitation is probably no more, and Oolite somehow also needs to decide what to render and what not.

I found the source code of that old game for Descent and Descent2. What would happen if you took the old engine, maybe widen up the levels and add Oolite models and graphics? Or use the Descent engine to render in-station or planetary missions?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:52 pm
While we are back to this topic:

There was a quite good multiplayer flight simulator out about a decade before Oolite emerged. Who played Descent?
I think the whole plot was placed 'indoor' into a mine to not have to render objects too far away.

But: Hardware has become so much more capable these days that this limitation is probably no more, and Oolite somehow also needs to decide what to render and what not.

I found the source code of that old game for Descent and Descent2. What would happen if you took the old engine, maybe widen up the levels and add Oolite models and graphics? Or use the Descent engine to render in-station or planetary missions?
Heh! And I was only just looking at this: Leaving the Ship (2015)
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:15 pm
Heh! And I was only just looking at this: Leaving the Ship (2015)
You have a special talent for thread necromancy, Cholmondely. When I said there that it would be possible, I was thinking along the same lines as what cbr described.

Capt. Murphy had made his ship test-fly OXP years before. That would store the details of the player's ship when you bought a different one from the shipyard, and if you didn't like the new one, you could return it and have your old ship restored. My idea was to include a surface rover vehicle in the shipyard, which you could rent, drive around the city as cbr described, then return to the shipyard and return to your normal ship.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."