Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

MultiPlayer Proof Of Concept: Oolite Communicator

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: MultiPlayer Proof Of Concept: Oolite Communicator

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:12 pm
hiran wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:51 am
So I checked my game settings, and I can see "Spoken messages: off" in grey, similar as "Voice" and "Gender". But I cannot change the values - the cursor will just skip the grey settings. What may I be missing?
These options are set on a per-save basis, so they are greyed out at the intro screen menu. Once you start your game they should become accessible.
Confusing, but confirmed. Once in the game I can change the settings and hear the messages. :-)

It is fun to keep flying without having to look at another window due to comms and spoken messages. TTS may get especially interesting when we have multiple users sending chat messages very quickly. So probably it should be configurable by the user whether messages should be spoken or not.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:47 am
the first common mission of delivering a massive amount is good.
I just stumbled across this thread here. I've not read it all, but there do seem to be one or two useful ideas tucked away inside it.

Eg:
Selezen » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:57 am
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:23 pm
hiran wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:47 am
the first common mission of delivering a massive amount is good.
I just stumbled across this thread here. I've not read it all, but there do seem to be one or two useful ideas tucked away inside it.

Eg:
Selezen » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:57 am
There are actually. :-)

Since our last session was successful (technically) we discussed how to add more realism. For that I am back to the drawing board as I first need the concepts, then an implementation thereof. Will let all of you know where there is something worth testing again.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

There is a new version available (both as directly installable files and as Virtualbox appliance). Check the first post for download links.

Contained in the new version is a feature that players can deposit cargo at any station - for their own future use or for other players to retrieve them.
This allows players to interact without having to be online at exactly the same time.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:57 am
There is a new version available (both as directly installable files and as Virtualbox appliance). Check the first post for download links.

Contained in the new version is a feature that players can deposit cargo at any station - for their own future use or for other players to retrieve them.
This allows players to interact without having to be online at exactly the same time.
Great! Looking forwards...
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:07 am

You might want to go for the torrent now already. Do not understimate the download time...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:34 am

You might want to go for the torrent now already. Do not understimate the download time...
Downloaded the torrent link. Should I download the zip or the tar.gz version of Oolite Communicator.

And you will need to remind me what to do with them, sorry!

Why not re-edit and put this information in the first post in this thread (if it's not too much of a pain)?
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:54 pm
hiran wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:34 am

Downloaded the torrent link. Should I download the zip or the tar.gz version of Oolite Communicator.

And you will need to remind me what to do with them, sorry!

Why not re-edit and put this information in the first post in this thread (if it's not too much of a pain)?
The zip file is for Windows, the tar.gz for Linux/Mac. If you know how to install that beast.
The torrent is just the configuration file for your Transmission application to download the appliance. And this is the download that takes the time...

Not sure if I can edit the first post - have to run now.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Current report on this project.

The Oolite Communicator now functions allowing players in their own ooniverses to communicate with each other (text) and to secrete goodies in warehouses in the main station orbitals for each other.

Current Issues: Works fine for Linux. Windows and AppleMac, not yet.

Hiran is currently trying to add more functionality.
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:34 am
Current Issues: Works fine for Linux. Windows and AppleMac, not yet.

Hiran is currently trying to add more functionality.
I agree to the issues. I do not agree too much on more functionality.
We should somehow get people capable or running the stuff on Windows and MacOS and rule out issues and workarounds. Hopefully then the user base will grow, and then it makes sense to add more stuff.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Oolite Communicator AppleMac version

Needs Terminal

1) Download
A version of Java needs to be installed (details in ReadMe file) and need Developer version of Oolite with Debug console.

My Hiran folder (with old versions of Oolite Communicator inside) is located here: /Users/accountname/Desktop/Hiran

2) Unzip
Using the Terminal programme (AppleMac utilities folder - F4 button) unpack the Oolite communicator distribution (from the downloads folder) into my Hiran folder:

accountname@Fulls-Air Hiran % tar -xf ~/Downloads/OoliteCommunicator-1.0-20211221-202253-macos.tar.gz

3) Configure
Using Terminal, look inside this new version of Oolite Communicator:
accountname@Fulls-Air OoliteCommunicator-1.0-20211221-202253 % ls

You should see this:
Communicator_Logo_Icon.png readme.txt
OoliteCommunicator.oxp run.cmd
configuration.properties.sample run.sh
dist

Now run the Oolite Communicator from inside Terminal:
accountname@Fulls-Air OoliteCommunicator-1.0-20211221-202253 % ./run.sh

Configure the Oolite communicator. You need the details of an XMPP account and password - and a nickname. Test it to see if it works!

Then find where you have hidden your Developer Version of Oolite, and enter the details in the bottom box of OoliteCommunicator.

Save these details. If everything is hunky-dory, it will save. If you have been sabo-scupper-taged by the demon Ebortsa, it won't.

4) Play
Quit. Restart. Watch for the two green connected indicators in the bottom corners (change from red/blue). The right hand one will not turn green until Oolite is started up (it must start up after Oolite Communicator starts up, due to the eccentricities of Oolite itself).
Last edited by Cholmondely on Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Oolite Communicator Windows version

Needs windows cmd (command shell)

1) Download
As mentioned in the ReadMe file, Java & the Oolite Developer version (with the Debug console) need to be downloaded & installed.

Then download the windows version of Oolite Communicator

2) Unzip and tuck away
From the Downloads folder, unzip this to (eg) C:Users/Lenovo/Document/Hiran

3) Configure
Doubleclick Run file inside the Oolite Communicator folder.

Configure the Oolite communicator. You need the details of an XMPP account and password - and a nickname. Test it to see if it works!

Then find where you have hidden your Developer Version of Oolite, and enter the details in the bottom box of OoliteCommunicator.

Save these details. If everything is ship-shape and Bristol fashion, it will save. If you have been sabotaged by the Witchspace Lobster, it won't.

4) Play
Quit. Restart. Watch for the two green connected indicators in the bottom corners (change from green/blue). The right hand one will not turn green until Oolite is started up (it must start up after Oolite Communicator starts up, due to the vagaries of Oolite itself).
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Report on most recent session: 21st December 2021

AppleMac: Problems with OC:Oolite interface
Windows: Works!
Linux (Ubuntu): Works!
Linux (Debian): Works!

Warehouse: works: one can store commodities for retrieval by self - or leave for another player, who needs not be logged on at that time.
Messaging: works: one can message other players

We currently need more victims - ideally with ideas about what else we can get up to...
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Just tried to start up the Developer Version of Oolite - and the Debug Console will no longer show itself.

I'm not sure if it is relevant to Nexus, but just in case it is...

The latest.log showed:

Code: Select all

11:16:54.836 [searchPaths.dumpAll] +[ResourceManager logPaths] (ResourceManager.m:2240): Resource paths: 
    /var/folders/6s/ysb64pns7r3472gl73j4zsnc0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/2A7827D8-6C5C-40FF-8959-26A444833B91/d/Oolite 1.9TR.app/Contents/Resources
oodles of .oxp's
    ~/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns/Debug.oxp
oodles of .oxp's
11:17:04.037 [debugSupport.load.success] -[OODebugController init] (OODebugController.m:95): Debug Bundle loaded successfully.
11:17:04.038 [system] (null): Warning: +[NSStream getStreamsToHost:port:inputStream:outputStream:] is deprecated since OS X 10.10. Please use +[NSStream getStreamsToHostWithName:port:inputStream:outputStream] instead.
11:17:04.059 [debugTCP.send.warning] -[OODebugTCPConsoleClient(OOPrivate) sendDictionary:] (OODebugTCPConsoleClient.m:396): Error sending packet header, retrying.
11:17:04.069 [debugTCP.disconnect] -[OODebugTCPConsoleClient(OOPrivate) breakConnectionWithMessage:] (OODebugTCPConsoleClient.m:666): No connection to debug console: "Connection to debug console failed: 'The operation couldn’t be completed. Connection refused' (outStream status: 7, inStream status: 7)."
11:17:04.086 [debugTCP.send.error] -[OODebugTCPConsoleClient(OOPrivate) sendDictionary:] (OODebugTCPConsoleClient.m:424): The following packet could not be sent: {
    "Oolite version" = "1.90";
    "packet type" = "Request Connection";
    "protocol version" = 65792;
}
11:17:04.293 [debugTCP.disconnect] -[OODebugTCPConsoleClient(OOPrivate) breakConnectionWithMessage:] (OODebugTCPConsoleClient.m:666): No connection to debug console: "Connection to debug console failed: 'bad stream.' (outStream status: 0, inStream status: 0)."
11:17:04.293 [debugTCP.connect.failed] -[OODebugTCPConsoleClient initWithAddress:port:] (OODebugTCPConsoleClient.m:172): Failed to connect to debug console at address 127.0.0.1:8563.
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Hiran:

just stumbled across this: Multi Player Capability - I have development resources!! (2015)
Comments wanted: