Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Player ship decals

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:19 am
Another decal for that Wiki page, Cholly. That's a late-model Griff multi-decal Cobra MkIII (four decals - both flanks, tailpipe, belly).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Player ship decals

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:22 am
Cholmondely wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:19 am
Another decal for that Wiki page, Cholly. That's a late-model Griff multi-decal Cobra MkIII (four decals - both flanks, tailpipe, belly).
So I can only make out the dragon/serpent I'm afraid. But are not 5 enough for the page? 3 of Griff's and two others? What is a "late-model" Griff? I don't understand how his many OXPs fit together - and the wiki pages don't explain.

*Is there an OXP with a selection of decals for people to choose from?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody

Player ship decals

Post by Cody »

I posted that to demonstrate the belly decal, which isn't shown in the other images. The ship is actually the griff_HP_CobraIII_multidecal_player (where HP=high-poly). With all Griff's multi-decal Cobras, the player can create their own decals (up to four, as mentioned above - both flanks, tailpipe, belly), rather than using Griff's default decals, which is what I have done (though I'm only using three, atm), thus:

Any image one can find/create can be used as a decal, as long as they're sized appropriately (256x256, 512x512 etc)
For the multi-decal Cobra, it's four in a strip (1024x256). To quote Captain Beefheart: "Lick my decals off, baby!"

The Green Gecko on that page is a special edition, with custom decals and paintjob by Staer9 and Griff.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Player ship decals

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:27 pm
I posted that to demonstrate the belly decal, which isn't shown in the other images. The ship is actually the griff_HP_CobraIII_multidecal_player (where HP=high-poly). With all Griff's multi-decal Cobras, the player can create their own decals (up to four, as mentioned above - both flanks, tailpipe, belly), rather than using Griff's default decals, which is what I have done (though I'm only using three, atm), thus:

Any image one can find/create can be used as a decal, as long as they're sized appropriately (256x256, 512x512 etc)
For the multi-decal Cobra, it's four in a strip (1024x256). To quote Captain Beefheart: "Lick my decals off, baby!"

The Green Gecko on that page is a special edition, with custom decals and paintjob by Staer9 and Griff.
What about if I post the decals instead? Then people can copy and use them...
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody

Player ship decals

Post by Cody »

Why would anyone want to use another player's decals? They're a very personal thing, like nose art on planes, and should be specific to one's own ship. With gazillions of images available on the internet, which even basic graphics software such as MS Paint will easily crop/resize to the required dimensions, why not create your own? And learn how to do a little bit of ship personalisation along the way? Griff's player decals default set are little more than placeholders, there to demonstrate what you can have.

If someone wants to spend the time creating a pool of decals from which a player could choose, then fine! But it is really so straightforward to create your own 'unique' decals, and much more satisfying. Again, I ask why? <shakes head in bewilderment>

England have just lost a test match which they should have won, and I'm feeling pissed-off, so please do not simply post my decals!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Re: Player ship decals

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:22 pm
Why would anyone want to use another player's decals? They're a very personal thing, like nose art on planes, and should be specific to one's own ship. With gazillions of images available on the internet, which even basic graphics software such as MS Paint will easily crop/resize to the required dimensions, why not create your own? And learn how to do a little bit of ship personalisation along the way? Griff's player decals default set are little more than placeholders, there to demonstrate what you can have.

If someone wants to spend the time creating a pool of decals from which a player could choose, then fine! But it is really so straightforward to create your own 'unique' decals, and much more satisfying. Again, I ask why? <shakes head in bewilderment>

England have just lost a test match which they should have won, and I'm feeling pissed-off, so please do not simply post my decals!
I can see the point in a coat of arms, but this decal business is just not my culture I'm afraid! Can I presume then that there is no OXP with a collection of these things?
Comments wanted:
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Player ship decals

Post by Griff »

I think there might be a thread somewhere where users posted decals, i can remember daddyhoggy posting some he created photographing the light from a torch that i used on a sidewinder oxp, hmm actually it might just be somewhere in the 'shaders outpost' mega thread.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Griff wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:40 pm
I think there might be a thread somewhere where users posted decals, i can remember daddyhoggy posting some he created photographing the light from a torch that i used on a sidewinder oxp, hmm actually it might just be somewhere in the 'shaders outpost' mega thread.
Thanks. If I find it, I'll link it in to the wiki page as a resource.

Edited to add: found 10 posts by Daddyhoggy mentioning "Sidewinder" & "Griff". None had any images.
Last edited by Cholmondely on Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:33 pm
I can see the point in a coat of arms...
A decal is not unlike a coat of arms. Take my purple one (also my avatar at times) - a variant of the eight-fold path, with a celtic flavour.
That could very easily be my personal coat of arms! I found the basic design on the internet, and personalised it.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:53 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:33 pm
I can see the point in a coat of arms...
A decal is not unlike a coat of arms. Take my purple one (also my avatar at times) - a variant of the eight-fold path, with a celtic flavour.
That could very easily be my personal coat of arms! I found the basic design on the internet, and personalised it.
Fair enough. I've tended to associate them with tattoos or advertising..
Comments wanted:
Cody

Player ship decals

Post by Cody »

Fly a Griff Cobra, and you could have your avatar/escutcheon proudly displayed on your ship.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:00 pm
Fly a Griff Cobra, and you could have your avatar/escutcheon proudly displayed on your ship.
If my combat skills were up to snuff, I'd happily attach my funeral hatchment, as gazetted by yours truly. Alas, I'd be inviting trouble and in pretty short order end up with my hatchment on a wooden lozenge over my catafalque in the cathedral of Giles the Creator in Greater Walsingham. Not fair to poor old Araminta, or the in-laws. I'll stay in mufti, methinks...

Now, if I can only brush up my skills a tad...

But I'll have to get somewhere with the old Hermitage first. Confounded thing has a Black Market. I've shut it down twice and it keeps on popping back up again, like a weed. Also, when I nip out to do a bit of mining, I find that the asteroids get blasted into splinters, minerals and the occasional chunk of gold. When I scoop them up, they mysteriously transmogrify into minerals - even the gold! I've this exciting looking extractor back on the rock which is supposed to process the splinters, but Araminta never gets to press the button!
Comments wanted:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:20 pm
If my combat skills were up to snuff, I'd happily attach my funeral hatchment, as gazetted by yours truly.
Stuff and nonsense, old chap! Wear your coat of arms proudly - win, lose, or draw!
And have the Lady Araminta tie her favour round the muzzle of your laser!
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Player ship decals

Post by phkb »

Confounded thing has a Black Market. I've shut it down twice and it keeps on popping back up again
sounds like a bug. I’ve removed the Black Market from the starting scenarios for the next release, but it should stay deactivated if you’ve done that. I’ll investigate.
I find that the asteroids get blasted into splinters, minerals and the occasional chunk of gold. When I scoop them up, they mysteriously transmogrify into minerals - even the gold!
That sounds like an OXP is interfering with standard mining processes. If I can’t identify which one I might need to see your OXP list to work out the possibilities.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:49 pm
Thanks. If I find it, I'll link it in to the wiki page as a resource.

Edited to add: found 10 posts by Daddyhoggy mentioning "Sidewinder" & "Griff". None had any images.
I gave us some bad keywords, sorry about that :oops: , good news though, i managed to find the thread i was thinking of, plus another one of DH's with some experimental glowing textures :D

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8118
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8208

Annoyingly photobucket have gone and watermarked the images since they were originally posted :evil: