Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Elite Dangerous Navigation System

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander Mick
Competent
Competent

The Elite Dangerous Navigation System

Post by Commander Mick »

Has anybody suggested this yet? I playing the game now, and I'm utterly lost, because I tired a together start to the game that starts me with no Witch-Space fuel. I busy looking for one of those floating fuel stations and believe I'm doing by just trial and error, blind luck and not having any.....

BTW, is asking for stuff that was this useful from anther game such as ED allowed. I'm not sure?
Right on Commander!!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: The Elite Dangerous Navigation System

Post by Cholmondely »

Commander Mick wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:39 pm
Has anybody suggested this yet? I playing the game now, and I'm utterly lost, because I tired a together start to the game that starts me with no Witch-Space fuel. I busy looking for one of those floating fuel stations and believe I'm doing by just trial and error, blind luck and not having any.....

BTW, is asking for stuff that was this useful from anther game such as ED allowed. I'm not sure?
Can't see why not. But should this thread not be in Board index > Trouble with Trumbles > Outworld ?

Maybe ask a moderator to move it there? (Click ! "Report this post" at the top).

The only problem, is finding someone who can answer your question (as is true of so many of the other posts here... ).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Commander Mick
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Mick »

I don't see why not either, Since Oolite already has allowed of stuff that made Elite cool. Not sure about the "Trouble with Trumbles " thread as well.
Report my my own post.....we'll see.
Right on Commander!!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Commander Mick wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:01 pm
I don't see why not either, Since Oolite already has allowed of stuff that made Elite cool. Not sure about the "Trouble with Trumbles " thread as well.
Report my my own post.....we'll see.
Just to emphasise the point: this BB has many early posts hoping for the emergence of E:D, many pre-launch posts talking about what should be in it, and many posts analysing faults etc. Many of the people who used to be active here (and might get shirty about introducing Star Wars ships for example) are now active in E:D instead. Ditto with our wiki which includes sections on Classic Elite, Frontier, FFE and E:D
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

What aspect of the E:D navigation system are you missing? Or put another way, what were you struggling with exactly in your hard mode start? The option that starts you with no fuel is a super hard start and a challenge for anyone, but there are techniques to get cash with no fuel (shooting asteroids being the primary one).
Commander Mick
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Mick »

phkb wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:51 pm
What aspect of the E:D navigation system are you missing? Or put another way, what were you struggling with exactly in your hard mode start? The option that starts you with no fuel is a super hard start and a challenge for anyone, but there are techniques to get cash with no fuel (shooting asteroids being the primary one).
The whole Navigation thing that shows you significant places you go to in a system and the neighbouring systems and makers showing you what direction they are in.

Maybe requiring some sort of scanner that scans the system and nearby systems.

I just wanted to find a floating fuel station to fill up on, I already had 300 credits to spend so money wasn't a problem.
Right on Commander!!
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Commander Mick wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:14 am
The whole Navigation thing that shows you significant places you go to in a system and the neighbouring systems and makers showing you what direction they are in. Maybe requiring some sort of scanner that scans the system and nearby systems. I just wanted to find a floating fuel station to fill up on, I already had 300 credits to spend so money wasn't a problem.
No help for scanning any nearby systems as they do not exist in game until you jump into one of them. As for the system you are currently in you need the ADVANCED SPACE COMPASS to do exactly what you are looking to do. Might be a bit difficult to purchase the A.S.C. given your very hard start and thereby limited funds.

FUEL STATIONS AND FUEL SATELLITES are OXP/OXZ based. All relevant information about them can be found on that Wiki Page.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Commander Mick
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Mick »

Nite Owl wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:05 am
The whole Navigation thing that shows you significant places you go to in a system and the neighbouring systems and makers showing you what direction they are in. Maybe requiring some sort of scanner that scans the system and nearby systems. I just wanted to find a floating fuel station to fill up on, I already had 300 credits to spend so money wasn't a problem.
No help for scanning any nearby systems as they do not exist in game until you jump into one of them. As for the system you are currently in you need the ADVANCED SPACE COMPASS to do exactly what you are looking to do. Might be a bit difficult to purchase the A.S.C. given your very hard start and thereby limited funds.

FUEL STATIONS AND FUEL SATELLITES are OXP/OXZ based. All relevant information about them can be found on that Wiki Page.
Advanced Space Compass, I forgot about that one and I do use that OXP.......and I also use the Fuel Stations and Fuel Satellites OXP. I think I'm able to use that with normal start....
Right on Commander!!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Commander Mick wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:42 am

Advanced Space Compass, I forgot about that one and I do use that OXP.......and I also use the Fuel Stations and Fuel Satellites OXP. I think I'm able to use that with normal start....
Doesn't Telescope Extender do this? Distant dockables/beacons appear as dimmed flags on the edge of your scanner - and as green ID-able dots in the sky.

On scanner - see faded green flags at 11 o'clock and at 3 o'clock
On viewscreen - see green dot on left (above the Coriolis) - it is a beacon for the red/brown station just above.

Telescope costs 500₢, the Extender adds another 500₢

Comments wanted:
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:35 pm

Doesn't Telescope Extender do this? Distant dockables/beacons appear as dimmed flags on the edge of your scanner - and as green ID-able dots in the sky.

On scanner - see faded green flags at 11 o'clock and at 3 o'clock
On viewscreen - see green dot on left (above the Coriolis) - it is a beacon for the red/brown station just above.

Telescope costs 500₢, the Extender adds another 500₢
Telescope (you do not need the extender for that) shows the beacons in the system, so any station that has a beacon (of has a buoy with a beacon) will be shown... that's why Telescope is the first equipment I buy in any start (I have higher priority equipments, like Fuel Scoops, but they are not available at Lave, unlike Telescope...). Its MFDs will list the closest ones - they are configurable through an option in Station Interfaces (F4), and I recommend spending the time to do so.