Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

In-game keyboard configuration

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: In-game keyboard configuration

Post by Cholmondely »

What will be the effect on the .oxp's which introduce new key-press combinations?

Camera Drones
n + v

Galactic Hyperdrive OXP
F6 + F6 + F6 - view of next galaxy with destinations marked

New Cargoes (original version)
F8+F8+F8 or F2 + F8 - access to menu

Okti's Long Range Scanner
F6 + F6 + F5 - access to Scanner menu

OXP Config
F2 + F7 - access to menu

Stranger's Planet Land (on landing)
F3 + F7 - view of port
F4 + F7 - view of port terminal
F5 + F7 - view of planet/moon landscape
F8 + F7 - view of city/station
F6 + F7 - system data screen

Are there any other OXP's I've missed?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Slartibartfast
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Slartibartfast »

Hello

-- Keyboard / Linux(Ubuntu)

Because i didn't know how Oolite "reads" the keyboard - i made a short test.
--> short bash-script

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
setxkbmap -option caps:none
xmodmap -e "keycode 66 = space "
-- this maps space onto the Capslock-key

then started Oolite
on the entrance screen -- i chose "View Ship Library" -> ( "press space to leave " )
-- i pressed "Capslock" instead -> works

2nd test:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
setxkbmap -option caps:none
xmodmap -e "keycode 66 = Greek_OMEGA"
result -> ωωωωω ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

-- so something like this should be possible
----- "Quirium-Mine" reacts on "ω" / Energy-Bomb on "Ω" / means "Capslock" or "Shift Capslock"
----- ---- if Oolite has Omega in his "namespace"

=> https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Xmodmap/
sorry -- only german - but i think there is an english side anywhere

matthias
Oolite 1.91 / Imp. Trader ( slighly modified :wink: ) on Lubuntu 22.04 LTS on AMD64 2x 3800+ ,
ATI Radeon R7240 XFS / Samsung TV 40" 1080p
C-Media CMI8738 / Yamaha RX-V575 / DIY-Speaker
Logitech Attack3 & standard german keyboard
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

is it possible to add in something to configure the damping/precision control? i'm still finding the ship handling awful compared to how the Beeb ship responded, the damping should - IMHO - be both different for ships of varying sizes and agilities, and configurable by a pilot, the way cars can be remapped and adjusted to improve handling. a search lead me to the Ctrl key thing, but seriously...can anyone actually use it in combat? i use the Beeb configuration and my fingers don't bend that way. a far more logical suggestion to me would be to use the Caps/scroll lock, so you flick it on when you get a red status, and turn it off after. you really shouldn't hav eto try and combat keeping one finger awkwardly stretched over pressing on a key.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Killer Wolf wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:43 pm
is it possible to add in something to configure the damping/precision control? i'm still finding the ship handling awful compared to how the Beeb ship responded, the damping should - IMHO - be both different for ships of varying sizes and agilities, and configurable by a pilot, the way cars can be remapped and adjusted to improve handling. a search lead me to the Ctrl key thing, but seriously...can anyone actually use it in combat? i use the Beeb configuration and my fingers don't bend that way. a far more logical suggestion to me would be to use the Caps/scroll lock, so you flick it on when you get a red status, and turn it off after. you really shouldn't hav eto try and combat keeping one finger awkwardly stretched over pressing on a key.
Have you seen Keyboard Cobra?

If you want to change the rock and roll of your ships, have a peek at the innards of Hard Way (read the bit about Warp Drive)

Edited to add: Tsoj's remap of his Keyboard (just below) is found here
Last edited by Cholmondely on Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

a search lead me to the Ctrl key thing, but seriously...can anyone actually use it in combat?
I use it in almost every combat situation, I find it very useful for small targets. My keyboard layout is configured such that it is very natural to use it (I use the right Ctrl key, and it is right beside the arrow keys, which I use for speed (up, down), laser (right), and ECM (left)).
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:28 pm
What will be the effect on the .oxp's which introduce new key-press combinations?
Theoretically, nothing. If the keypress worked before, it should work after. But testing always helps.
Slartibartfast wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:43 pm
-- Keyboard / Linux(Ubuntu)
Not being a native Linux speaker, I can't comment too much on these options. If you can reconfigure the keyboard before you get into Oolite, and it works for you, that's great. The idea behind this update is that you should be able to configure the keyboard without needing to do funny things to the underlying keyboard config. However, I've stayed away from making use of things like the Capslock, Numlock and ScrollLock keys. One reason is that the capslock is used by Oolite for a particular purpose (switching on/off the camera controls on the external view), and another is, by their nature, these keys are toggles, which work differently to all the other keys. I'm sticking with the standard keys for now - things are complicated enough as it is!
is it possible to add in something to configure the damping/precision control?
The goal of this update was to add keyboard settings inside the game itself, not to change what any of those keys does, or how it works. The idea of using one of the toggle keys for that function sounds like a great change, but it needs to come after we've got our existing controls working successfully as part of this update.
Slartibartfast
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Slartibartfast »

Hi Admiral
things are complicated enough as it is!
!!! big miss understanding !!

the simple trick ( mapping "Space" to "Capslock" ) should show, that
no scancode is used by Oolite/Linux -- thats all

the "Capslock/Omega" example -- should describe further possibilities

matthias
Oolite 1.91 / Imp. Trader ( slighly modified :wink: ) on Lubuntu 22.04 LTS on AMD64 2x 3800+ ,
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Slartibartfast wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:51 pm
the simple trick ( mapping "Space" to "Capslock" ) should show, that
no scancode is used by Oolite/Linux -- thats all
Ah! Well, with this update, Oolite *will* be using scancodes, that are then translated into a unicode value.
Slartibartfast
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Slartibartfast »

Hi
Oolite *will* be using scancodes, that are then translated into a unicode value.
oh man! -- a lot of work :shock:

slartibartfast
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:15 pm
i have, it just changes the yaw/roll values, which i've done myself. that doesn't help much - it slows your manoueverability in combat and makes it worse in trying to get a bead on enemies in dogfights when you're in close and zipping all over the place. what i want is agility but damping the result far faster than the stock game does.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Killer Wolf wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:58 am
what i want is agility but damping the result far faster than the stock game does.
You can try using "flight-arrow-key-precision-factor" = [0.05 ... 1.0] in .GNUstepDefaults to adjust the damping speed.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:15 pm
i have, it just changes the yaw/roll values, which i've done myself. that doesn't help much - it slows your manoueverability in combat and makes it worse in trying to get a bead on enemies in dogfights when you're in close and zipping all over the place. what i want is agility but damping the result far faster than the stock game does.
After playing Oolite for a bit, I eventually bought a HOTAS. It transforms my game, very much for the better. More enjoyable, much more immersive, and more control over my movement for combat (not that I'm much good at it, but it definitely helps me). Ever thought about giving a joystick (or some such) a go?
Last edited by Cholmondely on Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Joysticks and splines: customisable precision control. Cholly - that HOTAS link seems to go nowhere.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:03 am
Joysticks and splines: customisable precision control. Cholly - that HOTAS link seems to go nowhere.
It does now. Thank you!
Comments wanted:
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

another_commander wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:05 am
what i want is agility but damping the result far faster than the stock game does.
You can try using "flight-arrow-key-precision-factor" = [0.05 ... 1.0] in .GNUstepDefaults to adjust the damping speed.
hmm, i'm not seeing that, just some "humbletrash" entries and save directory etc.