Non-English Keyboard Problems

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Non-English Keyboard Problems

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:01 pm
I think we spoke about some documentation for the vanilla game that users should be familiar with before looking at OXPs.
The first paragraph about MFDs and the first paragraph about primable equipment already directs users towards OXPs. Is that really necessary?
Could we, for beginners, focus on what is possible without OXPs and just describe how to use the existing HUD and primable equipment?
But the fact is, we can’t guarantee the user will start with zero OXPs and learn the game from there. Plus, there is no core game equipment (outside the tutorial) that use either MFDs or primable equipment. Issues with how to use both only happen after OXPs are installed, and if someone is struggling with either, the first stop for many will be the core game documentation, and at the moment the only thing the OoliteRS PDF does is point them to the wiki and the forum (which should be helpful in the end, but not much in the immediate sense.) By adding this extra page, we’re at least acknowledging and documenting the primary methods OXPs will use to add equipment to the player ship.

Having said that, starting with an opening paragraph about OXPs in general, with a gentle warning to be careful with their use, might be beneficial.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:53 pm
But, Hiran, when you joined this board your issues seemed to be with all the OXP stuff. And, much more importantly, you are not alone in that. The old model of starting with Strict and the Tutorial was fine for those who came to Oolite from Elite, and understood that approach (those of us of elderly mien and wizened countenance). Nowadays, teenagers come along and download whatever they like - I rather doubt that dear old Mausnoab Williamston was hunched over a BBC four decades ago launching from Lave. If we are too strict in this regard, will they go elsewhere? Will we end up scaring away those who come and look?
I agree here. But I did not think too much about OXPs. I struggled getting along, and eventually saw some OXP list recommended for beginners. That's where I collected almost all of the plugins I have installed today. But what does it matter? We need to describe how to operate the equipment. And if priming equipment is important, let's describe that. Does it really matter if the list of primeable equipment at that time contains 5 or 500 entries? I guess it is the same with HUDs.

Up until today I have no clue what the vanilla game would be. And I switched to the Vimana HUD based on someone's recommendation. I do not even know whether all the other HUDs would be more of my taste - and it is not important. The more I get along with what I have the better I can make use of it. Right now I am getting exited about the fact that maneuvering and even fighting pirates is possible with the basic ship - whereas in the beginning I was just an easy target. Did I load too many OXPs in my favour? Did I tweak my wallet too much? Did I buy too much of the grand equipment?

Having had all that almost from day one did not make me a successful pilot. But the hints how to prime equipment and use it helped a lot more.

Hence I'd focus more on how to use the stuff than to point pilots to long lists that they still may explore at some later point in time.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:55 pm
hiran wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:01 pm
I think we spoke about some documentation for the vanilla game that users should be familiar with before looking at OXPs.
The first paragraph about MFDs and the first paragraph about primable equipment already directs users towards OXPs. Is that really necessary?
Could we, for beginners, focus on what is possible without OXPs and just describe how to use the existing HUD and primable equipment?
But the fact is, we can’t guarantee the user will start with zero OXPs and learn the game from there. Plus, there is no core game equipment (outside the tutorial) that use either MFDs or primable equipment. Issues with how to use both only happen after OXPs are installed, and if someone is struggling with either, the first stop for many will be the core game documentation, and at the moment the only thing the OoliteRS PDF does is point them to the wiki and the forum (which should be helpful in the end, but not much in the immediate sense.) By adding this extra page, we’re at least acknowledging and documenting the primary methods OXPs will use to add equipment to the player ship.

Having said that, starting with an opening paragraph about OXPs in general, with a gentle warning to be careful with their use, might be beneficial.
What? There is no primeable equipment or HUD in the core game? Then I stand corrected. The page would be useless without OXPs...
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Primable equipment and MFDs are facilitated by the core game, and are used (almost) exclusively by OXPs.
My cloaking device is in the primable list, and I could make a case for including one MFD in the core game.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cody wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:55 pm
My cloaking device is in the primable list
Thanks Cody, I'd forgotten about the cloaking device. OK, one piece of core equipment, but most players won't see that item for quite a long time after starting, so OXP's will have almost certainly come first.
Cody

Post by Cody »

phkb wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:18 pm
I'd forgotten about the cloaking device.
So had I - had to run the game, go check, then do a hasty edit.
phkb

Post by phkb »

I've also done a bit of tweaking to pages 1 and 2 of the guide: OoliteRS page 1_2.pdf

Summary of changes:
Page 1:
1. Put the "|" symbol in, rather than Shift + "\", to hopefully make the function clearer to non-QWERTY keyboard users. Not necessarily easier to use, but clearer at least.
2. Changed the font for instances of "I" (capital i) to make it clearer what it is and more distinct from the "|" symbol.
3. Added the reverse functions for cycling MFDs and selecting MFDs.
4. Added the sort/filter keys for the commodities market
5. Added all the F7 keys (Home, End, left and right).
6. Rejigged the layout to have space for the Planetary Data section.
7. A few small font and layout tweaks.

Page 2:
1. Updated the HUD and missle image screen shots
2. Added a screenshot snippet for ship ID recognition.
3. Added a reference to "Primed Equipment".
4. Rejigged the layout to have space for the "Primed Equipment" section.

Once again, feedback welcome. Let me know if any other core-game keys are missing or inadequately described.

Given what these pages are trying to do (provide a quick reference), I'm not sure how much further we should take it. There's probably scope for a different document, like a tutorial in printed form, that takes the player through each screen in detail, with all relevant keys described and with screenshots to aid in understanding (kind of like what you can get for E:D here). That document could also walk through the expansion pack manager interface, tips and tricks, perhaps a subset of some of the combat related info from the wiki, that sort of thing.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cody wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:51 am
There is another way. Go to the wiki http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Index_ ... _Equipment
Sort by expansion, then scroll to the expansion named Oolite 1.90.

Yes, the core game contains a very small amount of equipment. BTW, how would one detect whether it is 'primeable' equipment?
phkb

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:19 am
BTW, how would one detect whether it is 'primeable' equipment?
If the equipment item has a script property set, it’s primable.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:38 am
BTW, how would one detect whether it is 'primeable' equipment?
If the equipment item has a script property set, it’s primable.
Ack. I will add an indicator for primeable equipment. :-)
Cody

Post by Cody »

There is another way.
I think you misunderstood - I had to check if I had my cloaking device set as primable in my game.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:51 am
So the vanilla game CD is primable?

I noticed that they are available through several OXPs (which might make it primable, even if the Vanilla does not).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Yes! The cloaking device is a special case. Time was, it couldn't be repaired and mine took an early hit.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

BUMP!!

As an additional goal, can those with non-UK/US QWERTY keyboards have a look at the Oolite Reference Sheet keyboard guide and point out the key combos that don't work in your environment? If nothing else, if we can identify the problematic keys, we can highlight them in some way on the keyboard guide and provide some more commentary to help players overcome them.

phkb , July 2021
Oolite Reference Sheet is here: Oolite Reference Sheet
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?