Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Terminological Exactitude: Hyperspace, Witchspace & Interstellar Space

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Terminological Exactitude: Hyperspace, Witchspace & Interstellar Space

Post by Cody »

The lighting in IS is weird due to the lack of a sun. As for the gooks... who knows?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

It’s riddled with Thargoids because they're attracted by the harmonics of a collapsing wormhole. It's like smearing yourself in jam and going for a walk, then wondering why everywhere is full of wasps.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Nice!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:27 am
On the subject of galactic jumps: are they classed as witchspace jumps? They are subtly different.
If I attempt a galactic jump too close to a station, Oolite tells me the witchspace jump has been aborted. That doesn't feel right.
If, as you argue, regular jumps are jumps in a witchspace tunnel through interstellar space from one star to another, then presumably galactic jumps are identical but from one star in one galaxy to another in another.

What in-game differences are there? Just the lack of time-recalibration on arrival. Am I wrong?

Now, if one goes back to earlier versions of Oolite, the cabin temperature "cooled down" while travelling through witchspace, even though the laser temperature didn't, and the energy banks/shields did not recharge.

It seems to me that a decision was made by our developers that the second and third effects (or lack thereof) indicated a timeless-transit in the tunnel which should also be applied to cabin temperature changes.

Again, I can't see how galactic jumps take no time, but witchspace jumps do. The distance is much further, the tunnel effects (Vanilla/BGS) are identical. Perhaps an elapsed time element should be added to galactic jumps.

Question: is it possible to "oxp" a recharge/temperature cool down for witchspace jumps?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:56 pm
Again, I can't see how galactic jumps take no time, but witchspace jumps do. The distance is much further, the tunnel effects (Vanilla/BGS) are identical. Perhaps an elapsed time element should be added to galactic jumps.
Whilst presumably much further in real space, how do we know that the distance is further in witch space?
We can infer that it might be but inference it remains.

Consider that elite had no such issues (no clock for a start) and that having timed jumps in oolite facilitated contract strategies and also encouraged more exploration. There was no such benefit to be had by adding it to galactic jumps and so it wasn't added.

So if it's a purely gameplay addition then how to handwave the lore around travel? Well, however you like would be my suggestion.
For example we have a formula that we use withn a 'galaxy' but maybe it no longer works when traversing the distances between 'galaxies' - e.g. it's mass not distance that slows travel the most

Personally, I'd prefer that all jumps were near instantaneous and that other methods were emplyed re contracts and exploration.