Cool OXPs for celestial objects

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Cool OXPs for celestial objects

Post by Cholmondely »

As regards sorting out OXPs/OXZs, I created a master OXP folder.

Inside are several others: most crucially, aliases for the AddOns & ManagedAddOns folders.

But also several others, Unwanted OXPs, Not Yet! OXPs, Opened OXPs (for reference for tweaking), Untweaked original OXPs, Historic OXPs (for using with version 1.77), etc.

So once inside the first folder, it's a doddle to just move things around to where I want them.

Binary Stars: see discussion on the Geography page in the wiki
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<chuckles> You should see the Temp folder in my Elite partition - not only OXPs, but plists, scripts, alt splashscreen, etc!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:56 am
<chuckles> You should see the Temp folder in my Elite partition - not only OXPs, but plists, scripts, alt splashscreen, etc!
So what sorts of things have you modified? Confess!!
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:43 am
As regards sorting out OXPs/OXZs, I created a master OXP folder.
But also several others, Unwanted OXPs, Not Yet! OXPs, Opened OXPs (for reference for tweaking), Untweaked original OXPs, Historic OXPs (for using with version 1.77), etc.
I have oolites on different machines, each installation has his own unique addon folders ( one minimal, one expanded) and a minimal oxz collection.
The main addons folder is currently again nearing the 20gb, which means it is getting zipped and archived and i start over... matrix style
wannahavefun12

Post by wannahavefun12 »

Say why can't I sell my Torus to Sun drive after purchase?

Also is there a catalog where I can see all the info about planets, moons and star of a particular system? I am using Habitable Main Planets, Moons, Planetary Systems, and Sun Gear.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

wannahavefun12 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:54 am
Say why can't I sell my Torus to Sun drive after purchase?
A lot of equipment wasn't created with being able to remove it later in mind. Especially older equipment items. The Equipment Storage OXP can provide some of what you need, though - you can store and then sell of stored equipment items.
Also is there a catalog where I can see all the info about planets, moons and star of a particular system? I am using Habitable Main Planets, Moons, Planetary Systems, and Sun Gear.
Can't help you with this one - I don't run those OXP's by default and I can't do testing at the moment.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

If you are running the Equivalent Stranger's World suite instead, yes! The Advanced System Data MFD gives you either a planetary summary or solar information depending on what you have selected in your ASC. Or lunar information if docked at a lunar spaceport.

But SW would lose you the stations for extra planets and give you other stations instead which are dedicated to research or mining and have limited markets for trade.

Or, if you look at the Random Names for Stations thread, that will eventually do it for you - but LittleBear has yet to upload his newer version with that capability. He's busy dotting i's & crossing t's at the moment!
From his OXP thread:
Last edited by Cholmondely on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Have you checked the Wiki?
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_planet_list
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

wannahavefun12 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:28 am
1) Different size and colour of stars
2) Actual distance of stars
3) Multiple planets
4) Different size and texture of planets
5) Orbital motion of the planets
6) Gas giants w/ and w/o rings
7) Moons
8) Pulsars
9) Nebula and gas clouds
10) Multiple stations on multiple planets.
So! What's the verdict?
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Just wondering about nebulae as seen from other systems.

The Diso.oxp & Tianve.oxp place very vibrant nebulae in the skies of their systems.

I cannot imagine that these would be invisible from the neighbouring system. Is this finessable in Oolite? Would one have to place weaker versions in the neighbouring systems inside those .oxp's - and can one orient them in the neighbouring skies to be in the right direction?

(The very atmospheric Manual Witchspace Alignment & Deep Horizon Advanced Navigation Computer always seem to point the witchspace tunnel in the same direction - eg at the sun in Ararus when jumping to Ensoreus.)
Comments wanted:
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

If my understanding is correct then no, this is not possible. The reason being is that the only system that exists within Oolite, as far as the code is concerned, is the one you are in. The system you are in is generated just prior to your Witchspace jump into it hence the slight delay before the countdown reaches zero, at least there is a slight delay on my machine. Once the jump is complete the previous system you were in is removed from the game's memory. Like in the original Highlander movie "There can be only one". So system A cannot say to system B "Hey there is a great looking nebula over here, please render it in your system too". It would be great if this were possible but it would require that every system within the jump distance, and possibly even further, be rendered simultaneously and remain constant. A coding nightmare and probably just a tad of a computer hog.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Nite Owl wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:33 pm
If my understanding is correct then no, this is not possible. The reason being is that the only system that exists within Oolite, as far as the code is concerned, is the one you are in. The system you are in is generated just prior to your Witchspace jump into it hence the slight delay before the countdown reaches zero, at least there is a slight delay on my machine. Once the jump is complete the previous system you were in is removed from the game's memory. Like in the original Highlander movie "There can be only one". So system A cannot say to system B "Hey there is a great looking nebula over here, please render it in your system too". It would be great if this were possible but it would require that every system within the jump distance, and possibly even further, be rendered simultaneously and remain constant. A coding nightmare and probably just a tad of a computer hog.
Fair enough! But might Tianve.oxp affect other systems in the region and place a smaller version of its nebulae in their skies? And would it make sense geographically (ie the direction...).

From the Rough Guide to Tibecea:
The renowned Palazzo Disieti is without doubt the most luxurious hotel on Tibecea, renowned amongst the epicures. The Disieti died of assassination a half century ago, and their palace was taken over by cousins who had no use for it. The entrance hall is of polished black marble, lit by silver chandeliers and surrounded by silver mirrors, reflecting the light back to the centre of the hall. The ceiling was painted by Arbuthnot of Digebiti, and represents the heavens immediately above at the time of painting. Tianve's famous pulsar can just be made out with the unaided eye, as can Ceesxe.

Is this possible in Oolite?
Comments wanted:
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Additional Planets SR and Planetary Systems aren't compatible with one another, so a question: is there a general consensus as to which is better to use? (I realize that Planetary Systems is newer/more recently updated.)
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:50 am
Additional Planets SR and Planetary Systems aren't compatible with one another, so a question: is there a general consensus as to which is better to use? (I realize that Planetary Systems is newer/more recently updated.)
Planetary Systems is part of Strangers World. Stranger has devised a much more scientific/realistic version of Oolite. Hence the MFD and the rejigging of the suns and the planets (and the economies too if you go for SW Economy).

AP-SR is designed to look good. And it uses the stations which got sidelined and lost.

I started with AP-SR and then after nattering with Stranger eventually took the plunge. More difficult, but more realistic. I enjoy it, and it is now my default game. The planetary settings in AP-SR do look nicer, but the constant repetition of their geometry eventually did me in (too unrealistic for your humble servant)!

If you are newish to Oolite/Elite you might prefer to stick with AP-SR. If you are well acclimatised, then you might find PS more to your liking! try them both and see!

I don't think that too many of the regular correspondents here have tried both (the full version of Stranger's World is quite involved).
Comments wanted: