I crashed the ooniverse

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: I crashed the ooniverse

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:16 pm
Let's see what Mr. Code has to say about this...
[...]
The speed you obtained is only a fraction of what could be achieved. And it is all by design.
Oh, wow. Thank you for digging that far. So what I did is definitely within the specs. :oops:

Can I also ask why the destroyer offers me to fly (without torus) with 300, sometimes even 600 [units?] when it is documented to fly .2 LMs? Is this changed by addons I may have, or by experience or...?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

hiran wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:31 pm
Oh, wow. Thank you for digging that far. So what I did is definitely within the specs. :oops:

Can I also ask why the destroyer offers me to fly (without torus) with 300, sometimes even 600 [units?] when it is documented to fly .2 LMs? Is this changed by addons I may have, or by experience or...?
That I don't know. Maybe the OXP (or even another OXP) has a script that affects speed, or you have a specific variant of the ship with higher maximum speeds etc. Maybe you are using injectors even? Using them boosts speed by 7x.

Cody wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:34 pm
And in IS, even that ludicrous speed will get you precisely nowhere... yes?
Right, you'll always be in the system, but millions of kilometres away from the nearest planet.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:09 am
hiran wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:31 pm
That I don't know. Maybe the OXP (or even another OXP) has a script that affects speed, or you have a specific variant of the ship with higher maximum speeds etc. Maybe you are using injectors even? Using them boosts speed by 7x.
That is a surprise for me as well. After all, when I accelerate from 0 first I run with the standard drive, then the fuel injectors kick in (I have something called cruise mode which means I do not have to press/hold 'i'). But when I press 'j' to activate the torus drive either I get the 'mass locked' message, or the fuel injectors get deactivated. Thus I expected thez have no further impact on my speed.

It seems the Ooniverse is a complex entity of it's own and it is worth being investigated and checked out. After all not all the rules we know from our universe are applicable there...
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

I updated http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Torus_Drive so next time I raise this question people can simply tell me to RTFM. ;-)