Oolite for Raspbian Buster Version

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

HighlanderMM
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Oolite for Raspbian Buster Version

Post by HighlanderMM »

Does anyone know how to get a hold of a working Oolite version for the latest Raspbian Buster version. I have a Raspberry Pi 400 and would love to get this game for it but it is not available on the repositories. I downloaded the Linux 64 bit version but just errors when I try to run it after installing it.

/home/pi/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/oolite-wrapper: 69: /home/pi/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/oolite-wrapper: ./oolite.app/oolite: Exec format error

Erk. It looks like Oolite died with an error. When making an error
report, please copy + paste the log above into the report.

(Press Ctrl-C to continue)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Oolite for Raspbian Buster Version

Post by another_commander »

I believe you will need to compile it from source if it is not available in the repository. The oolite.org linux version is built for Intel/AMD processors and, if I am not mistaken, the Raspberry Pi features an ARM one. This would explain the inability to run the oolite.org version and the error message about an executable format error.

General information for building can be found at the project's wiki and github pages.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

HighlanderMM wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:29 am
Does anyone know how to get a hold of a working Oolite version for the latest Raspbian Buster ...
Just to say: Welcome! Hope you get everything sorted out and then start to enjoy!

Cholmondeley
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

another_commander wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:37 am
I believe you will need to compile it from source if it is not available in the repository. The oolite.org linux version is built for Intel/AMD processors and, if I am not mistaken, the Raspberry Pi features an ARM one. This would explain the inability to run the oolite.org version and the error message about an executable format error.

General information for building can be found at the project's wiki and github pages.
That is correct. Raspberry is on ARM. I’m looking forward to hear how it goes, @HighlanderMM :)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

HighlanderMM wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:29 am
Does anyone know how to get a hold of a working Oolite version for the latest Raspbian Buster version. I have a Raspberry Pi 400 and would love to get this game for it but it is not available on the repositories. I downloaded the Linux 64 bit version but just errors when I try to run it after installing it.

/home/pi/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/oolite-wrapper: 69: /home/pi/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/oolite-wrapper: ./oolite.app/oolite: Exec format error

Erk. It looks like Oolite died with an error. When making an error
report, please copy + paste the log above into the report.

(Press Ctrl-C to continue)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Did it work?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I believe you will need to compile it from source if it is not available in the repository. The oolite.org linux version is built for Intel/AMD processors and, if I am not mistaken, the Raspberry Pi features an ARM one.
So... if I had a device with a MediaTek processor running a form of Debian, I'd need to compile Oolite from source on that device... right?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cody wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:14 am
I believe you will need to compile it from source if it is not available in the repository. The oolite.org linux version is built for Intel/AMD processors and, if I am not mistaken, the Raspberry Pi features an ARM one.
So... if I had a device with a MediaTek processor running a form of Debian, I'd need to compile Oolite from source on that device... right?
An alternative would be to take other hardware (like our normal amd64 platforms) and cross-compile Oolite such that it runs on ARM. But that one is probably more difficult than just compiling on the target hardware directly.

Another possibility is to use the Raspberry versus an Intel based ODROID but that may fail the requirement of running on Raspbian Buster...

And while we are setting up Github Actions to automatically build the beloved project, there is https://github.com/marketplace/actions/arm-runner...
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite