Oolite: A British Phenomenon?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

TGHC wrote:
Living in Berkshire and at 56 the second oldest oolite player, so far........
TGHC
You're only 2 years younger than my Dad :-)
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Heh, he comes from a fine generation! ...from what I can remember... :lol: :lol:

I have to say that TGHC did make me feel a little less wierd for still being into games like Oolite! Anyway, at least we won't get bored when we get our pensions in a couple of years... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
eddyp
Competent
Competent

Post by eddyp »

cultist wrote:
i am romanian of origin...elite was here also,but most of us didn`t care for it
That's a lie :D I am also Romanian and I played it on a Spectrum clone
p3bbl3s
Harmless
Harmless

Played elite thru the decades too....

Post by p3bbl3s »

I've been playing Elite since the spectrum, then the amiga, the PC, and now oOlite, have to give big props to Giles for his hard work even if he did do it on a mac :wink: :wink:

Unlike a lot of other players i dug frontier too, i liked the more realistic flight and the very populated solar systems, didn't care much for the mission stuff and never got around to F:fe.

this one is great and shows a lot of potential, unlike a lot of the other clones that seem to get started and never finished.

Sooo Thanks Giles and Team good work on keeping a classic game alive for these newer puters!

Pebbles
Judebert
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Judebert »

Thank you, p3bbl3s! I too loved the Frontier physics, systems, planet landing, and missions on my Amiga 3000. I also loved the vector graphics on my C64: it made it easier to see and hit the target at extreme range. :twisted:

However, I'm overjoyed that Giles took on (and continues to work with) this outstanding project. It's an excellent reimagining, instead of a simple clone. And the OXPs make a big difference.

Once I've actually cleared ou the rest of my projects (ha, ha... I kill me), I'll try my hand at some OXPs.
FlyingBlind
Above Average
Above Average

Post by FlyingBlind »

I'm just getting back into Oolite after several months' hiatus (the sailing season is winding down.)

I'm American, found the game in 1985 when I bought my used C-64. Loved it then, and always hoped to find it again in the Mac World. Last November, I stumbled across Oolite as a free download from the Apple website.

Giles, the improvements and upgrades in V1.65 are very good!

Now, if I can just remember how to do things here in this BB.

Dan
Oolite? Is that like Bud Lite?
johnsmith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by johnsmith »

I'm what you earthlings would call a small furry creature from Alpha Centauri. Though I live in London at the moment. I've been a big fan of Elite since the 1980s. It so reminds me of home. Sniff...
cmdr drayton
Above Average
Above Average

Post by cmdr drayton »

But are you a REAL small green furry thing from Alpha Centuri? And while you're at it, have you seen my towel, I seem to have lost it.
Godspeed gentlemen, ladies, and small green furry things from Alpha Centuri
ThargoidKiller
Poor
Poor

Post by ThargoidKiller »

I'm Manx - Pretty rare!

Discovered Elite for my rubbish Acorn Electron ( ambitious parents in 'you can learn to program and become a sucess' christmas present shocker )
in 84 or 85.
Had it for Amiga, which I still get out of the attic ocasionally for retro giggles.

Found Oolite last week, played a bit and love it.

/me goes to ebay to look for Electrons for sale
SHIELDS LOW!!!