Units of Measurement

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

commander_STyx2909
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Units of Measurement

Post by commander_STyx2909 »

I second this post. "km" is a bit odd to display. Could be anything else, like "ku" where 'u' is "unit", whatever length it is. :wink:
And yes, that koom unit might work too, just state it in the doc and references :mrgreen:
Asus K61ic, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia GT220M (1Gb VRAM), OpenGL renderer version: 3.3.0 ("3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.108").
Ubuntu 20.06. :mrgreen:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cmdr James wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:55 am

... and indeed some planets, most notably Teceinre, have a celebration to honour the legend which consists of pacing up and down in period costume, holding glass balls (representing ancient light sources) and using a so called "foot rule" and eyeglass to admire the wavelegths whilst reciting poetry. Claims that this was started by Teceinre marketeers as a way of selling more of their poetry have consistently been denied.
But the population of Teceinre are red insects!

Teceinre

Government: Democracy
Economy: Rich Agricultural
Technology Level: 8
Population: 4.0 Billion
(Red Insects)
Productivity: 16000 MCr
Planet Radius: 5898km

Square that one, Cmdr James!!

(And Merry Christmas too, while we're at it!)
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

stranger wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:21 am
Well, you are US astronaut. As military pilot you have 6000 hours or so in your flight log, so measuring distances in nautical miles (1 NM = 1852 m), speed in knots (1 kt = 1 NM per hour or ≈ 0.52 m/s) and climb rates in feet per minute (1000 feet per minute is ≈ 5.08 m/s) is a part of your nature. As citizen you are driving your car using statute mile (1609 m) as distance unit and speed in miles per hour (1 mph ≈ 0.447 m/s). It is a part of your nature too. Working for NASA and planning to take part on expedition to ISS you have special education in engineering, so metric system is part of your nature too. You Russian colleagues, military pilots too, uses kilometers as distance unit, kilometers per hour as speed units and meters per second as climb rate. But they have one advantage – using the same distance and speed units driving they cars. That’s not all. You wife call you to by dozen eggs for lunch and to return home at seven at the latest. Damn! Just another Babylonian units, and it is part of your nature too!
No any versta or parasang, please! Metric system is not ideal. But it is lesser evil. We have ten digits and trained to calculate in decimal system. :D
Some of us have Russian wives - for whom we set up the SatNav to read in kilometres (and convert it's database of speed limits to km/hr, so I get warnings of exceeding a 113km/hr speed limit) while the car itself reports speeds in miles and consumption in miles per litre.
Don't worry, the mile-users will eventually die out, or go to shiver in the dark in caves.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")