Combat is too hard with a keyboard

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

gilhad
Competent
Competent

Re: Combat is too hard with a keyboard

Post by gilhad »

For me the joystick is essencial and ultimate tool. Playing with only keyboard is terribly difficult (and was in Elite too, but I had simple joystick even back then and did rely on that heavy too).
I started yesterday another session, in Strict Mode (= no OXPs) and with Wire Graphic (real nostalgia :wink: ). So far I was not killed, not used (or even buy) Escape pod and did not reload game (so still Iron Man mode :) ).
I spend lot of time around Lave destroying meteorites and trading with Rock Hermits to be able buy Fuel Scoops. But my Pulse Laser usually just destroyed Meteorites or Boulders, without giving me Splinters to scoop, so I started stealing from Rock Hermist's Worms - I just waited near one, when he used his Mining Laser and reduced Asteroid to Splinters, then I used my higher velocity, scooped them and waited more for him to process another Asteroid.
Soon I got Injectors and Beam laser and was able defend myself somehow, not just run away from pirates (stil I avoid larger groups). Then came first delivery and interstelar trade and Large Cargo and money.
On the end of the session I had Military laser, lot of cheaper equipement, 5 successful deliveries, one missjump with Thargoids (I killed 4 Mother ships and then shot down all kitties, as bounty is 50 Cr, while Aliem Items are more like 40Cr best), full cargo of computers and 2kCr saved for rear military laser. (But got tired and so went to bed). I will continue soon again, to see, how far I could go with one life :lol:

So for me the joystick is way better, than any OXP. (Yes, I usually play with lot of OXPs and thanks to Telescope I got much better idea, how the life around is structured, so I can use the insight even without any OXP.)

While on Elite was possible to just start killing pirates and land only for buying new hardware (beam laser was usually first one), in Oolite that does not work this way. First I need make some money, equip my ship better and then I can start to think about hunting pirates. On the begining is very usefull to be able avoid hits and simply run away (simply = just rolling irregullarry around all 3 axes with full speed (or on injectors, if i have one and some fuel), while generally approaching Station or group of police Vipers, whatever is nearer). Joystick makes precision shooting (both pirates and missiles) a way easier, than just keys, mouse or touchpad.

About landing - I also first align my ship with dock and then speed straight inside, when the angle is good. It works for Injectors too, even for hyperspeed (on Rock Hermits without other ships around). The shorter time I spend inside the tunel, the lower chance is, that I meet somebody there, or that I desync with the Station rotation and hit the wall.
Lady of Fate, we adore you . . .
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

vaxon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:51 pm
Is there? How does it work?
It was introduced to fix the age-old problem of the player being stranded in interstellar space through no fault of their own. You can splash scores of gooks, but if you don't have enough fuel to jump out, it's game over. Next time you're in interstellar space, keep your eyes open.
then shot down all kitties
I always pop inert drones. There are legends of drones re-activating in the hold, which can make a frightful mess of your ship!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vaxon »

gilhad wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:08 am
I started yesterday another session, in Strict Mode (= no OXPs) and with Wire Graphic (real nostalgia :wink: ).
gilhad wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:08 am
I spend lot of time around Lave destroying meteorites and trading with Rock Hermits to be able buy Fuel Scoops.
I usually sell my front laser and start trading right away. In about 3 jumps I can buy the injectors.
vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vaxon »

Cody wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:19 pm
Next time you're in interstellar space, keep your eyes open.
mmm... mysteries ;)

I always keep my eyes open and my wormhole shut. :)
gilhad
Competent
Competent

Post by gilhad »

vaxon wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:42 pm
Lady of Fate, we adore you . . .
vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vaxon »

I'd like to thank everyone in this thread. I've adjusted my tactics based on the advice and information gathered here and managed to improve my rating to 105. Eventually, I got killed by Thargoids in the witch space, but that's only because I decided to risk everything and deviated from my original tactics.
vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vaxon »

Well, going ironman again using the new tactics:
  • Try not to get hit and use aft military lasers and fuel injectors most of the time.
    If the pirates don't get killed, they flee or use their missiles from a distance which makes them less dangerous.
  • Deal with one enemy at a time.
  • At close quarters combat maneuver at half speed to avoid being hit by some kamikaze pirate or a missile.
  • Always flee if it's getting to hot.
I prefer to summon Thargoids at short witch-space jumps instead of fighting pirates.
It's much more fun and my rating improves much faster.
Thargoids don't have missiles and they're quite big and easier to hit from a distance.
Always use fuel injectors and aft lasers agains the Thargoids.
Got to watch the fuel level, though. Once all the warships are destroyed, it's Christmas.
Dozens of dead robo-fighters are left there to be destroyed and give my rating a significant boost.

Got assigned to the constrictor mission so far with the Competent rating of 263.