Help Install on MX Linux, please

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

user2357
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Help Install on MX Linux, please

Post by user2357 »

Thanks, Commander_X

PM'ing you the libraries.
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Well, from the looks of it, you should be picking what's needed/expected from the installation.
Did you have the chance to check if OpenGL works on your system? E.g. what happens if you run "glxgears" (as the player user) in your terminal, do you see them munching in their window?
user2357
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by user2357 »

Thanks, Commander_X.

glxgears works fine. I get around 60fps, on average, from the three red, green and blue gears.

However, I don't quite understand what you mean by "picking what's needed/expected from the installation"...?
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

user2357 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:45 am
[...] However, I don't quite understand what you mean by "picking what's needed/expected from the installation"...?
That mainly means that Oolite installation provides for libraries your system might either not have, or not have the adequate versions, and the listing confirms it (the ./oolite-deps/lib/ prefixed libraries).
Ok, let us try to bootstrap Oolite from command line, and see if this makes any difference (and I must admit, that depending on if/how this fails, my suggestions might reach to an end):

Code: Select all

cd
cd GNUstep/Applications/Oolite
ESPEAK_DATA_PATH=./oolite.app/Resources LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:./oolite-deps/lib oolite.app/oolite
If this ends with the same behavior as before, and no difference in what Latest.log (again, in ~/.Oolite/Logs folder) file reports, then our attempt to fix it through this approach might have reached an end.
So once you run the above set of commands, please report back what happened, and also push my way the contents of the ~/.Oolite/Logs folder through PM (shouldn't be more than two files).
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

I installed MX Linux in a VM (quite the struggle!), and my first launch gave me a similar message with yours, and an almost identical Latest.log file (besides the detection of graphics, and timestamps, of course).
It turns that the fix is to "switch" the espeak library from the OSS/ALSA/Jack (?) enabled one, to the pulseaudio version. Here's how*:

cd
cd GNU/Applications/Oolite/oolite-deps/lib
mv libespeak.so.1 libespeak.so.1.original
ln -s libespeak.so.1.pulseaudio libespeak.so.1
Once you've done this you should be able to launch the game.
Hope this helps.

[*] This might be documented somewhere, or a similar method.
user2357
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by user2357 »

Whoo-hoo! ...and Yee-hah! :D I have now just launched successfully from Lave Station on MX Linux.

Your solution is now documented here, at least (with a slight typo corrected: 'GNU' -> 'GNUstep').

cd
cd GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite-deps/lib
mv libespeak.so.1 libespeak.so.1.original
ln -s libespeak.so.1.pulseaudio libespeak.so.1
Thank you, once again, Commander_X, for all your effort for my sake. You certainly seem to know your way around a Linux Oolite. <o
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Whew, good job!
user2357 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:43 am
[...] Your solution is now documented here, at least (with a slight typo corrected: 'GNU' -> 'GNUstep').[...]
Good catch!
[...] Thank you, once again, Commander_X, for all your effort for my sake.[...]
You're welcome!
[...] You certainly seem to know your way around a Linux Oolite. <o
"Seem" I'd wager it's the right word here -- I'm using pulseaudio since just couple of months, and this was a one time setting in category "set it and forget it" :)
Hah, if I didn't hit it some some time back, I wouldn't even be in the position to hit it right now (even with pulseaudio), because due to some MIDI "needs", I installed Jack2 (the new user I created on my system in order to check, ran through without the change, just fine). So this would've been another way for you to overcome your issue -- installing the Jack2 library.
user2357
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by user2357 »

I like little uncoincidences like that: you just happening to have the experience to help me at the right time in the right way. It's like the Universe is saying, 'You're on the right track. Keep on doing what you're doing.' :wink:

Jack2?... When I search for 'jack' in synaptic package manager, it says I already have libjack-jackd2-0 ver 1.9.12.dfsg-2 (latest version) installed... Just want to be sure that I know what you're saying. ('jack2' is apparently not available anywhere in the MX Linux repositories.)
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

user2357 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:58 am
[...] Jack2?... When I search for 'jack' in synaptic package manager, it says I already have libjack-jackd2-0 ver 1.9.12.dfsg-2 (latest version) installed... Just want to be sure that I know what you're saying. ('jack2' is apparently not available anywhere in the MX Linux repositories.)
When I didn't have it at all, Oolite would start, music/effects played well, but no "computer" voice (this dragged me into switching the provided libespeak library in "deps").

It could happen so that there might be some compatibility layer for jack2 (and which libespeak needs by default) that is not packaged by default in your case? Considering my cultivated ( :mrgreen: ) lack of skills for synaptic/apt-get/rpm/yum, I think this is all I can say about this.

Some of the libraries in the "oolite-deps" folder can be considered way outdated from a "current/last" version perspective, but that's the case with how the games/game engines work -- if it's not broken ... :-D
user2357
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by user2357 »

OK. Yeah. It's possible that MX Linux could be missing some compatibility with jack2 which libespeak might require, then.

...but libjack-jackd2-0 is the 'jack2' you were talking about...? Googling 'jack2 audio', the https://jackaudio.org/downloads/ page just calls it 'JACK 1.9.14' (for Linux), which seems to agree with the latest version number that MX Linux's synaptic gave me for libjack-jackd2-0... I'm going to assume it's the same thing. (Apparently, they're working on 'linking the repositories for Jack1 and Jack2'. I presume that, when they succeed, they'll change the name again...)

...Not that I need it, at the moment. Oolite is running fine now. ...but for future reference, perhaps, and so that other commanders, with a similar lack of experience and knowledge to our own, might have a clearer (or alternative) path to the solution. :)
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Yup, 1.9.14 is the version I have installed here.
I cannot say I know too much of the inner works of the software, but it seems it has somehow been revamped from what they call "JACK1 design" (see their README.rst).
Although I didn't compile it myself, the way Slackware (my Linux distribution) provides the packages, is not split by "runtime", "dev", and whatnot -- it's just an all-in-all installation of the "original" source code.
If there is anything left over in the way some other distros are providing the package, again, I'm not aware very clearly.
user2357
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by user2357 »

OK. Thanks, Commander_X. I really appreciate all your effort and feedback. Right on, commander. <o
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Commander_X wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:51 pm
Did you have the chance to check if OpenGL works on your system? E.g. what happens if you run "glxgears" (as the player user) in your terminal, do you see them munching in their window?
Having just had a draining evening of trying to get Oolite working on Fedora 34, I think HOPE I'll remember that "glxgears" thing in the future. 4 new distros lined up for this afternoon's consideration.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")