(WIP) Hermitage

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: (WIP) Hermitage

Post by phkb »

More thinking: The other issue you encountered is the impact of buying regular ship equipment. Each time you do, there is a time penalty, simulating how long it would take to install said piece of equipment. But things on a RH are processed on a day-to-day schedule, so if you purchase an expensive piece of equipment, a lot of time can pass, and if multiple days pass, things get processed at the RH for each day.

There's no way I can prevent that time jump, but maybe having a "Welcome" page when you start a scenario (or purchase a RH) to highlight pitfalls like these might be useful.
Prester John
Competent
Competent

Post by Prester John »

phkb wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:27 pm
More thinking: The other issue you encountered is the impact of buying regular ship equipment. Each time you do, there is a time penalty, simulating how long it would take to install said piece of equipment. But things on a RH are processed on a day-to-day schedule, so if you purchase an expensive piece of equipment, a lot of time can pass, and if multiple days pass, things get processed at the RH for each day.

There's no way I can prevent that time jump, but maybe having a "Welcome" page when you start a scenario (or purchase a RH) to highlight pitfalls like these might be useful.
Do as you can.
I aggree with your idea of : Easy, Normal, Hard and Nightmare Owner options. At least, methinks the Easy and Normal Options would be playable for someone like me, specially the Easy one.
The Explorer/Trader option is working good, for as far as I've tried. You just need big money, a multi-purpose ship witrh minerals, alloys and radioactives to make it. So, no worry from this side. See? Something is working, nonetheless. :P :lol:
Prester John
Competent
Competent

Post by Prester John »

o.O
O.o
… no news …
… good news? ...
phkb

Post by phkb »

Well... some...
But not enough for a release yet. I really want to have a good play session with all the adjustments, but I'm just not getting any good time with my dev machine.
Prester John
Competent
Competent

Post by Prester John »

phkb wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:01 am
Well... some...
But not enough for a release yet. I really want to have a good play session with all the adjustments, but I'm just not getting any good time with my dev machine.
…. *eats fingernails* I am not anxious, I am NOT ANXIOUS!!! ***
phkb

Post by phkb »

OK, it's probably not as tested as I wanted to make it, but I'd rather save your fingernails.
v0.6 is now available (link in the first post). In this version:
  • Tweaked specs of Adder Miner to have slightly more cargo with a slightly lower top speed.
  • Reworked the start game scenarios, reducing the options to 3 (Easy, Medium and Hard).
  • Added some commodities to the storage of newly acquired stations.
  • Added gloss values to ships.
I'm still considering all the other suggestions above and how best to improve things. Keep 'em all coming!

I might have to add a wiki doc soon, too...
Last edited by phkb on Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
JiCeyCraft
Above Average
Above Average

Post by JiCeyCraft »

I have modified your "start choices" lightly. Instead of 1,000 credits, I increased it to 1,000,000. Why? Because we're not talking about a Ship, we're talking about a STATION. Because, IMHO, a Station is worth more than a Ship.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Welcome aboard, commander!

I'd be interested in hearing back on how your game progressed when starting with so much. What choices did you make, what strategies did you follow, that sort of thing.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

JiCeyCraft wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:37 am
I have modified your "start choices" lightly. Instead of 1,000 credits, I increased it to 1,000,000. Why? Because we're not talking about a Ship, we're talking about a STATION. Because, IMHO, a Station is worth more than a Ship.
Welcome to the merry throng!

I was not aware that one could buy orbital stations as well as rock hermits. Well done, sir!

... but is it any fun?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:01 pm
I was not aware that one could buy orbital stations as well as rock hermits.
Well, from this OXP's perspective, it's only giving you the opportunity to buy a Rock Hermit. I'm not aware of another OXP that allows the purchase of other stations.
Cholmondely wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:01 pm
but is it any fun?
That's the big question with this OXP, and something that I can't test for myself at the moment as I'm in the middle of RL things (moving house) so my play time has been curtailed quite a bit.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

According to Tony Honoré (All Souls, Oxford), Full Ownership involves the rights to buy, to sell, to change etc. ... and to destroy ... Station Self Destruction Codes .oxp
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:35 pm
and to destroy
For a RH, lasers will work as well. (Note to self: need to make sure player-owned RH's that are destroyed stay gone, and maybe in 3-6 months time are replaced by an NPC owned one).
JiCeyCraft
Above Average
Above Average

Post by JiCeyCraft »

Before posting my poensum, I want to signal that's me Prester John. I was not very satisfied with this nickname, so I created an other account : JiCeyCraft, like JeanClaudeCraft (I'm french!). That said, let's start.

I may have found a solution that could solve every kind of the problems mentioned before.

The Rock Hermit we would want to be the owner would not be necessarily active. We could activate it when we take really possession of it.
We could receive, in the Owner Pack we chose, an activation device we could use before boarding the RH. Let's say it would be a kind of "R.H. ignition equipment" we would use. We would have to target the Rock Hermit and "shoot" at it to wake it up (it would use 1 energy bar of your Ship for that). :wink:

That way, when we get the Owner Pack, we are not forced to hurry and take control of the R.H. We can peacefull wait for the right moment to make it so, Ensign. For instance : have better equipments for your ship... :wink:

Now, let's talk about financials. If this *points up* could be done, indeed 1,000,000credits is wayyyyyy too much, you're right. :lol: Let's say 10,000 credits would be enough. Let's not forget we're talking about inheriting a Rock Hermit with a ship.

Speaking of ship....
In this new concept of owning a Rock Hermit, it becomes evident that resources would be critical for managing your "home". You would have to leave to get them. a Cobra MKIII is the one we seek. Or, if you have something better than the Adder and between the Adder and the Cobra MKIII, you tell me.

We have talked about how to take possession of our property
Now, we should have an Option to shut down the Rock Hermit because we have to travel. This case implies there is no personal on board. Simply, let's use the "device" I talked of before and it is done : R.H. is sleeping. And we can go on our adventure/business.

If THIS can work, then there would be 1 choice of difficulty : normal difficulty.
And, yes, we could have, like before, 1 R.H. per Galaxy.

What do you think of that?
I'm maybe not lucky but I work hard and smart to compensate.
Trust AND Honesty are The Two Main Conditions for a Solid Friendship.
JiCeyCraft
Above Average
Above Average

Post by JiCeyCraft »

8) *looks*
Nothing since some time...
"Abandon ship" :?: :?: :?:
I'm maybe not lucky but I work hard and smart to compensate.
Trust AND Honesty are The Two Main Conditions for a Solid Friendship.
phkb

Post by phkb »

*phkb is ruminating*