(WIP) Hermitage

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: (WIP) Hermitage

Post by phkb »

Yes, the lack of any other oxp in the log has me really confused. Until all the OXPs appear there, Hermitage has no chance of running.
Balisongdalo
Competent
Competent

Post by Balisongdalo »

Do you know where I can find the oolitestarter log? I did a fresh oolite install and yet hermitage cannot load after a manual install on the addon folder in the oolite directory. All of my oxp's are now through oolite starter app, installing too many oxp's on the expansion manager crashes my game. I've also installed all dependent oxp's for hermitage, etc.
"Proof is in the eyes man, when you know, you know"
Flying the D.T.T. War Lance
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Balisongdalo wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:19 pm
Do you know where I can find the oolitestarter log? I did a fresh oolite install and yet hermitage cannot load after a manual install on the addon folder in the oolite directory. All of my oxp's are now through oolite starter app, installing too many oxp's on the expansion manager crashes my game. I've also installed all dependent oxp's for hermitage, etc.
OoliteStarter writes logs to $HOME/.Oolite/Logs/oolite-starter.log, so (on Unix) the files reside just besides the Oolite logfiles.

Could you mention your OS and the directory paths you configured in OoliteStarter?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Balisongdalo
Competent
Competent

Post by Balisongdalo »

I'm on windows 10 and installed on the D:/ drive for oolite and oolitestarter.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Balisongdalo wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:10 pm
I'm on windows 10 and installed on the D:/ drive for oolite and oolitestarter.
That is one step forward.
Now what is the exact path you installed Oolite in?
What are the paths you configured in OoliteStarter? Did you just scan for Oolite? Then OoliteStarter for sure guessed a bunch of directories for you. What is configured there?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Balisongdalo
Competent
Competent

Post by Balisongdalo »

I installed on D:\oolite\ooliteapp for the main directory and for oolitestarter it's set to D:\oolitestarter. I didn't scan for oolite, I clicked on the oolite versions tab and configured from there to show where my main oolite directory is located.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Balisongdalo wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:58 pm
I installed on D:\oolite\ooliteapp for the main directory and for oolitestarter it's set to D:\oolitestarter. I didn't scan for oolite, I clicked on the oolite versions tab and configured from there to show where my main oolite directory is located.
Make sure you have the latest version of Oolite Starter. Version 0.1.23 had a bug that was messing up the Managed AddOns folder. It's fixed in v0.1.24.

Because of that bug, you probably have a folder structure that is creating confusion. Check to see if you have a D:\oolite\oolite.app\Library\Application Support\Oolite\ManagedAddons folder. If you do, that was from OoliteStarter doing the wrong thing. The easiest thing to do would be to delete that entire structure (ie. from D:\oolite\oolite.app\Library and down). The correct folder structure is D:\oolite\oolite.app\GNUstep\Library\ApplicationSupport\Oolite\ManagedAddons (note the lack of a space in "ApplicationSupport").

You will then need to go into OoliteStarter (v0.1.24 - very important) and delete the existing config pointing at your Oolite instance, and recreate it.

And if that seems like too much work, it might just be easier to uninstall both Oolite and OoliteStarter, delete any leftover folders, and then reinstall both of them. A clean install might be the best thing at this point, and less likely for there to be residual impacts from the OoliteStarter bug.

However, I'm concerned you're getting a crash when trying to use the Expansion Manager. Before you use OoliteStarter again, but after you've fixed the folder structure issue, go into Oolite and the Expansion manager, and just download 1 OXP, then return to the main menu. Do you get a crash?
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

JiCeyCraft wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:34 am
8) *looks*
Nothing since some time...
"Abandon ship" :?: :?: :?:
Just because I didn't see it 4 years ago doesn't mean it's not thought provoking to me today. (I accidentally went "fugitive" today, so went around barging into space stations without docking clearance, seeing what I got from a "Station Self-Destruction Code". Then I landed on a planet, hoping for bigger things ...)
A hypothetical "this RH is not accepting visitors" machine isn't exactly complex : you have radar(-a-like) on your approach tunnel ; you have a selection of "reaction wheels" of the big and chunky variety (with Hubble-plus grade bearings) ; when closed for business, hook the approach radar to the reaction wheels, and whenever a visitor gets within 100m of the approach tunnel mouth you slew the entire vessel/ rock on one of the reaction wheels by standing on the brake. Add a randomiser, and some warning lights (red are already used by Pirate Coves, so ... amber?) visible from all points within (say) 10km ... and you're cooking with gas.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
phkb

Post by phkb »

Just in case my lack of progress on this OXP appears as though I have abandoned it, I'd like to assure you it isn't abandoned. It might be a far way down the stack of things on my list at the moment, but this is one I am planning on returning to. In fact, I've already got some largish changes in my current build that I haven't released yet as I really want to sit down and *play* it, rather than being in a regular cycle of tweak/release/tweak/release/etc.

Here's the version history for this unreleased version 0.8.11
  • Added a life support load property to several upgrades, indicating how much load they will place on the Life Support system.
  • Added "Power Grid", "Life Support Load", "Service Levels" and "Processing" menu items to Management page.
  • Added an MFD with critical station info to help with monitoring of your station while in space.
  • Life Support issues now related to current service level, reliability of the unit and load.
  • Reactor and Life Support operational resource consumption is now based on utilisation.
  • Tweaked processing resources for reactors and life support units.
  • Tweaked techlevel for space extensions.
  • Added a hangar as a item in the facilities list, with a variable power draw based on the number of ships stored.
  • Added an administration hub as an item in the facilities list, with a variable life support load based on the number of contractors/defenders/guards currently employed.
  • Fixed calculation for the maximum number of ship berths in your personal hangar.
  • Tweaked number of hangar spaces available with the different space expansions.
  • Transports can no longer be scheduled if you don't have enough credits to pay for it.
  • Removed costs from life support units, replaced with operational resource requirements.
  • Removed costs from distilleries, weapons manufacturing, narcotics processing, refineries, reactors and market capacities.
  • Moved upgrade info from readme.txt file into separate text file to reduce readme.txt file length.
  • Changed Cobra Mk1 model and texture to Griff's HPC Cobra Mk1.
  • Changed Mamba model and texture to Griff's HPC Mamba.
  • Changed Sidewinder model and texture to Griff's HPC Sidewinder.
  • Removed dependency on Griff's Station bundle OXP.
  • Remove shipdata-overrides.plist.
  • Made compatible with New Cargoes 2.0
  • Some code refactoring.
  • Made more compatible with "SW Economy".
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

RockDoctor wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:27 pm
JiCeyCraft wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:34 am
8) *looks*
Nothing since some time...
"Abandon ship" :?: :?: :?:
Just because I didn't see it 4 years ago doesn't mean it's not thought provoking to me today. (I accidentally went "fugitive" today, so went around barging into space stations without docking clearance, seeing what I got from a "Station Self-Destruction Code". Then I landed on a planet, hoping for bigger things ...)
A hypothetical "this RH is not accepting visitors" machine isn't exactly complex : you have radar(-a-like) on your approach tunnel ; you have a selection of "reaction wheels" of the big and chunky variety (with Hubble-plus grade bearings) ; when closed for business, hook the approach radar to the reaction wheels, and whenever a visitor gets within 100m of the approach tunnel mouth you slew the entire vessel/ rock on one of the reaction wheels by standing on the brake. Add a randomiser, and some warning lights (red are already used by Pirate Coves, so ... amber?) visible from all points within (say) 10km ... and you're cooking with gas.
I really wish I understood what you are trying to say here. I've now read it through 4 times.

Is it something to do with shutting down a Rock Hermit?

We currently have the abandoned RHs from Spicy Hermits OXP. And then there is Phkb's rather natty sequence here in Hermitage when you approach your own avuncularly inherited RH and open it up (one of my particular favourites!). In each case the docking door is "welded shut" so you only bounce, not dock. There is yet another with Stormrider's (unfinished) Amber Moon Chronicles discovery.

Just because I didn't see it 4 years ago doesn't mean it's not thought provoking to me today.
- is this to do with "Hermitage OXP" rather than shutting down Rock Hermits?
radar(-a-like)?
"reaction wheels" of the big and chunky variety (with Hubble-plus grade bearings)?
hook the approach radar?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:48 am
I really wish I understood what you are trying to say here. I've now read it through 4 times.
Is it something to do with shutting down a Rock Hermit?
JiCeyCraft had, indeed been talking about some sort of OZP for playing in the Ooniverse as a "Rock Hermit Owner", and seemed to be thinking about how to deal with those circumstances when you had to go to a trade post of some sort for various supplies. Which would mean locking the door on the RH - but non-destructively.
I came across the post after searching for some info about Station Self-destruction codes (I'd been trying them after landing on planets - sadly no big fireworks, but I think the first time it changes the name of the planet's space port. But not subsequent times. Since we've got stars that go nova (G2, IIRC), a pulsar in G1 ... blowing up a planet and the associated debris storm might be "fun" for suitable values of fun.
I also recalled at least one "case" from SF where the practical impossibility of boarding a ship without the cooperation of the vessel's pilot(computer) was discussed. All the "resisting" pilot needs to do is change their velocity vector or orientation at random, to prevent docks from aligning, et voilá - no boarding. At least not until someone does a "space jump" with magnetic boots (are Ooniverse hull materials ferromagnetic?) and a rope, to drag the recalcitrant one into the police dock. Or, if you're Star Trek, without a special effects budget, invent a "tractor beam".

The Ooniverse physics engine introduces random jinks into the path of unpowered objects such as alloy plates. I'm sure there's a justification for that, but "meh". Space stations etc also have a slightly tumbling (or precession?), whose underlying logic I've never figured out. (Tumbling, or precession? - I remember the headaches that cause astronomers studying the light curve of `Oumuamua ; I don't understand the physics well enough, but it's a real world problem.) The slightly erratic motion of the docking slot was there in Elite, and not enough to stop people actually entering - but it sure raised the difficulty a lot!

For a mechanism to make your RH un-enterable while you're "taking care of business, elsewhere" ... well, I put both ideas together into a mechanism which was mechanically cheap (you'd need most of this gear anyway), physically realisable, and potentially entertaining (what goodies could you steal if you could break into an unmanned, but generally "in business". What happens if the owner comes back while you're rifling his/ her/ it's/ their safe?

I haven't actually taken much interest in the OZP "ecosystem" of RHs until now (I'm getting bored with blowing up Pirate Coves!), so I'm starting to take an interest in them now. And the mechanism I suggest sounds the sort of level of complexity that my programming skills might conceive of attacking. But ye ghods - that JavaScript dialect looks verbose!

From the silence, I guess that JiCeyCraft has shuffled off this Ooniversal Coil. Mis-jumped into interstellar space, or something.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")