Best distro to use

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

kcallis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Best distro to use

Post by kcallis »

Normally, I use Arch Linux for most of my machines, but for some reason, I have had an issue with building 1.88-1 under Arch. So I grabbed an old i5 desktop machine and figured that I would drop linux on the machine and then load oolite. This machine has 8G of RAM and a GT635 graphic card. I am am only interested in playing oolite (I knew I shouldn't have started reading Drew Wagnar's OOlite Series again), so I am looking for a distro that is light on requirements (I would rather not install Ubuntu, Mint or any other heavy desktop driven distos), but allows for easy installation of not only oolite, but easy install of nvidia drivers as well.

Any suggestions for a distro that fits the bill?
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Best distro to use

Post by Damocles Edge »

I have been using Manjaro with XFCE desktop for a number of years now and have found it fine for my purposes though I suspect that even though it is based on Arch, probably won't be what you're looking for.
I haven't used any of them but perhaps one of the community releases (OPEN BOX / AWESOME / BSPWM / BUDGIE / I3) maybe more agreeable to what you are looking for https://manjaro.org/download/

Hope this may be of some help
O.C.T.D (Oolite Crash Test Dummy) Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm......