Mac Newbie problem with BBC keyconfig.plist

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

tenorman1971
Above Average
Above Average

Mac Newbie problem with BBC keyconfig.plist

Post by tenorman1971 »

So I've switched to a Mac, having played Oolite for ages on Linux, and I have no idea how to get the keyconfig.plist in the right place (amongst other things). The latest Mac version from the website simply has one folder containing the app, with another folder called Extras and one with Documentation. I found the BBC key layout .plist and have tried putting it into the Extras folder, creating an AddOns folder and putting it there, putting it in the same folder as the app itself. I even created an Oolite folder in ~/Library/Applications Support (because there wasn't one) and made an AddOns folder in that and put the keyconfig file there - still nothing. I'm running Mojave.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Mac Newbie problem with BBC keyconfig.plist

Post by Disembodied »

In the folder where the game is, place the keyconfig.plist in AddOns / Config / keyconfig.plist (make the folders if you need to).
tenorman1971
Above Average
Above Average

Post by tenorman1971 »

Tried that - no joy. I've restarted the game each time holding down shift. Is that the general way to update still?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Sorry, I'm talking nonsense. Right-click (ctrl-click, if you haven't enabled right-clicking) on the Oolite.app, and select "Show Package Contents". This will produce a folder called "Contents". Place the keyconfig.plist in Oolite.app/Contents/Resources/Config/keyconfig.plist.
tenorman1971
Above Average
Above Average

Post by tenorman1971 »

Cool - thanks. That worked. Now, anyone know how I can transfer all the OXP info from my Linux saved games to continue on the Mac? Is that possible, or am I starting from scratch again.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

You should be able to create a folder called AddOns in the same folder as Oolite.app, and put all your OXPs there.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

I think this one deserves to be stickified.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
tenorman1971
Above Average
Above Average

Post by tenorman1971 »

Disembodied wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:08 am
You should be able to create a folder called AddOns in the same folder as Oolite.app, and put all your OXPs there.
Actually, looking back they're mainly OXZ added using the expansion manager in game. Is there any way of transferring this data, or do I just add all the same packages manually? (I hadn't realised quite how many I'd added over the years.)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

tenorman1971 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:09 am
Disembodied wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:08 am
Actually, looking back they're mainly OXZ added using the expansion manager in game. Is there any way of transferring this data, or do I just add all the same packages manually? (I hadn't realised quite how many I'd added over the years.)
That's a bit beyond me, I'm afraid … I suspect you'll have to add them all in manually.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Disembodied wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:04 am
tenorman1971 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:09 am
That's a bit beyond me, I'm afraid … I suspect you'll have to add them all in manually.
I think the secret lies within Oolite-manifests.plist.
If you copy this file and all the OXZs, it should do the trick.
I don't know where this is located for Mac, though.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]