Mouse Zeroing Behaviour on Mac

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Paladin Tux
Competent
Competent

Mouse Zeroing Behaviour on Mac

Post by Paladin Tux »

Hello!!!

So I recently “upgraded” to a mac, and I immediatly noticed that the mouse controls send me spinning wildly around! From my experience on the windows version, right clicking the mouse instantly kills all yaw and pitch (centering the mouse). On the Mac however, I don’t get any of this. A “right” click (I’ve programmed the right side of the mouse to the secondary button), instead locks any mouse movement, but doesn’t actually center the mouse, hence leaving me continually rotating like a washing machine in my Adder. Is this behaviour normal for the Mac version, or am I doing something wrong? Or this a bug? Is this a feature? Or something else entirely....?

Currently running 1.88 on Mojave 10.14

Thanks in advance
Now with 100% less Wonderworm!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Mouse Zeroing Behaviour on Mac

Post by another_commander »

It seems like there is somewhat different handling for the right mouse button on the Mac. Can't test anything without a volunteer though. Would you be willing to try the tomorrow's nightly build if I attempt a fix (or at least try to make it behave like the Windows/Linux port)?
Paladin Tux
Competent
Competent

Post by Paladin Tux »

Yeah sure! I’d be willing to do that, though it might take me a while to get back to you.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

OK, change committed. Please be aware that due to technical reasons it might take a few days for the Mac nightly to be generated. You should keep an eye on the releases of the nightlies repository on github.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Oolite Nightly Build (2019-03-24) is now updated with the relevant Mac release.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Paladin Tux
Competent
Competent

Post by Paladin Tux »

Just downloaded it, and it works pretty well! I click the secondary button, and once it releases the mouse re centres itself. It works over while in flight, and on all the interface screens (centres the cursor.)
I don’t want to sound pedantic, however I noticed that the centring occurs once I release the mouse button, not immediatly once I press down on the button. This is unlike the Window’s and Linux versions, were I get an affect immediatly on pressing the button (without having to release it). Either way, thanks for the great work another_commander!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Paladin Tux wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:20 am
Just downloaded it, and it works pretty well! I click the secondary button, and once it releases the mouse re centres itself. It works over while in flight, and on all the interface screens (centres the cursor.)
I don’t want to sound pedantic, however I noticed that the centring occurs once I release the mouse button, not immediatly once I press down on the button. This is unlike the Window’s and Linux versions, were I get an affect immediatly on pressing the button (without having to release it). Either way, thanks for the great work another_commander!
This is because I used the button-up handler to do the centering. I can retry with tomorrow's nightly, using the button-down handlers and that should in theory make the behavior exactly the same. It will need one more test from your side though.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

another_commander wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:47 am
Paladin Tux wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:20 am
...I noticed that the centring occurs once I release the mouse button, not immediatly once I press down on the button...Either way, thanks for the great work another_commander!
...It will need one more test from your side though.
@Paladin Tux: Just when you thought that you would get away with a single testing activity! :D
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Paladin Tux
Competent
Competent

Post by Paladin Tux »

Welp. All in the name of progress! (I guess...)
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

Oolite Nightly Build (2019-04-04) is now updated with the relevant Mac release, featuring mouse down centering.
Paladin Tux
Competent
Competent

Post by Paladin Tux »

Just tested it, and works like a charm! Mouse behaviour is exactly like how I remember it from Windows/Linux. Thanks for the work guys! And if need be, I’m always happy to do more testing, it wasn’t too bad after all :D :D :D