[Solved] Problem with the Saitek X52 joystick under Gentoo linux.

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Amon2501
Competent
Competent

Re: Problem with the Saitek X52 joystick under Gentoo linux.

Post by Amon2501 »

Unfortunately there`s no luck. I`ve googled that github`s user`s driver yesterday night myself and read that discussion. It seems like that user was only interested in disabling the LEDS (which actually made by just disconnecting and then reconnecting the device again). But I`ve tried installing that driver just now and nothing was changed(even after reboot). Still the only buttons i could map in Oolite were not higher than 16`s. Could you please advice me a free game for linux which have a joystick buttons remappin feature, so i could test that behaviour in another game? If there`ll be only the 16 buttons available too, than that`s the driver/kernel`s issue for sure, if not, then that`s probably the oolite itself.
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

My understanding from that message thread was that everything *else* went good, besides the LED handling.
But as you said, it seems that he didn't commit those changes -- I guess he only handled them to that user in order to get some testing in advance (I've met this practice in other cases), which never concluded.
Unfortunately, as I mentioned, I'm not too much of a joystick user, so any advice from my part could be only "theoretical". I'm not sure about any other game, but it seems that there are a jscal and a jstest utility to help with calibration, remapping, and testing of a joystick. It could also be that a more recent kernel could know more about specific joystick devices than an older one.
And one last thought -- it could also be that Oolite only provides joystick-wise what SDL offers, which in SDLv1's case could be quite "behind".
Amon2501
Competent
Competent

Post by Amon2501 »

Today i`ve tried the gog version of X3 Reunion. and the joystick buttons worked fine there. Same kernel, same sdl, same everything, and also X3 R is a way older game than oolite. So it seems that the source of the problem is either the oolite itself either some libs it`s using. Keeping in mind that the windows version showed no problems, then it`s probably the libs or the way it handles the buttons events particularly in linux. But what`s next to figure out the problem?
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

[Solved] Re: Problem with the Saitek X52 joystick under Gentoo linux.

Post by Getafix »

Could you, please, try renaming the libSDL-1.2.so.0 distributed with Oolite (path should be something like Oolite/oolite-deps/lib) to libSDL-1.2.so.0.oolite and retry?

EDIT
If you installed Oolite as root the default filepath is /opt/Oolite/oolite-deps/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0
or else the filepath is ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite-deps/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Amon2501
Competent
Competent

Post by Amon2501 »

Getafix wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:45 pm
Could you, please, try renaming the libSDL-1.2.so.0 distributed with Oolite (path should be something like Oolite/oolite-deps/lib) to libSDL-1.2.so.0.oolite and retry?

EDIT
If you installed Oolite as root the default filepath is /opt/Oolite/oolite-deps/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0
or else the filepath is ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite-deps/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0
WOW! That worked! You`re cool, now everything works fine. I can assign any button of my joystick.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Amon2501 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:00 pm
Getafix wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:45 pm
Could you, please, try renaming the libSDL-1.2.so.0 distributed with Oolite...
WOW! That worked! You`re cool, now everything works fine. I can assign any button of my joystick.
Nice! 8)
Now go get them Thargons! :D
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]