Habitable Main Planets

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Habitable Main Planets

Post by stranger »

In resent 1.6.0 update I fixed cosmetic issue with planets having forest in description. In some cases planets with "vast dense forests" or "rain forests" looks like arid planets. Now such arid planets reclassified as having temperate humidity and has green continents instead yellow with greenish tint.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

stranger wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:15 am
In resent 1.6.0 update I fixed cosmetic issue with planets having forest in description. In some cases planets with "vast dense forests" or "rain forests" looks like arid planets. Now such arid planets reclassified as having temperate humidity and has green continents instead yellow with greenish tint.
I've put up the beginnings of a wiki page for all this at http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Habitable_Main_Planets.

Questions: I'm unsure what the following means (from the end of the Overview section).

*Small agricultural planets with TL < 4 have too low an air pressure to permit any outdoor activity without pressurized suits. Due to a new legend such planets are mining worlds, but it is a different story.
*More information about the PlanetEngine will be found in the relevant topic.

Does new legend refer to new Oolite lore? Or some sort of labelling system inside the Oolite programme? What is this different story?

What is the PlanetEngine? Is it some sort of sub-programme within the Oolite programme? Or something inside an .oxp? Where is this relevant topic?

We've finally starting inoculating our elderly against the dreaded virus here in the UK (my elderly parents should get it next week!). Hope all is well over there in Siberia and that you and yours are safe and well!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:07 pm
Does new legend refer to new Oolite lore? Or some sort of labelling system inside the Oolite programme? What is this different story?
I have OXP with redefined economic rules. Presented only in Roolite community yet. I feel it will be good indeed to officially present it in the nearest future. Oolite community has skilled coders and it is stupid to ignore valuable help to improve it.
According to new economic rules planets with archaic TL (TL = 0...3) AND too small to have dense atmospheres has no possibility to plant enough crops to sell it and has no proper TL to produce high-tech industrial goods. So the main activity for such worlds will be mining operations. There are other differences with vanilla economic model too, but it will be good to present it in planned topic for this OXP.
Cholmondely wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:07 pm
What is the PlanetEngine? Is it some sort of sub-programme within the Oolite programme? Or something inside an .oxp? Where is this relevant topic?
PlanetEngine was initially realized using FileMaker DB to calculate physical properties of planets - just for curiosity. Exoplanets are one of my lovely themes in science news. Later I realized PlanetEngine algorithms using JavaScript - partly in Sun Gear's AstroLibrary and partly in Planetary Systems. So it is mostly inside OXPs indeed. Part of PlanetEngine is still presented in FileMaker DB format only - I used it to generate planetinfo.plist for improved Habitable Main Planets. Still planning to write relevant topic, sorry :oops:

We have some troubles due to this damn virus. It is hard to call doctor to visit to home - emergency case only like trauma or acute disease. Hope we'll survive it well.
Khabarovsk is not part of Siberia. It is in Russian Far East. :wink: