Sun Gear

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Sun Gear

Post by stranger »

Sun Gear 3.9.0 - fixed error in name of variable, preventing display sun spectrum on F7 System info page.
Issue with DH ANC compatibility is not fixed yet, planned to next update.
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

Replacing colors of all Zaonce neighbors in 7 LY radius to RGB values - no errors after ANC activation, sun color error after jump to Lave. It is logical: after jump new systems with problem HSB colors will enter 7 LY radius.
So the next logical step is complete refactoring of all 2048 entries in planetinfo.plist.
Seems we have solution.
Just for curiosity: what is reason to use color values of suns in 7 LY radius to initiate ship re-orientation before hyperjump?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

stranger wrote:
what is reason to use color values of suns in 7 LY radius to initiate ship re-orientation before hyperjump?
The color of the "star" visual effect displayed when the jump starts, at the centre of the target brackets, is toned to be correct for the actual destination sun color.
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

The simplest answer is sometimes right answer :D
My assumes were - color numbers used as input values to generate pseudo-random vector direction for ship-reorientation or so.
Thanks!
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

Sun Gear 4.0.0

Sun database rewritten. Sun colors declared in RGB color space.
Fixed issue with DH ANC.
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Not sure how others have fared with 4.0.0 but I have found that although it fixed the previous issue with Advanced Nav Comp, the new version plays a little sluggishly and I also found quite pronounced stuttering of the forward view when torus drive is engaged.
This also did some very strange things with the estimated travel time in my navigation MFD which continually fluctuates up and down :?
I have kept the Latest.log from this session in the hope that it may yield some clues as to what may be going on, I can upload this to my MEGA account and send a link if you are interested in looking at it?
O.C.T.D (Oolite Crash Test Dummy) Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm......
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

@Damocles Edge
Looking your latest.log would be interesting in any case. Maybe there are some OXPs potentially conflicting with Sun Gear in your game configuration. Not sure I'll find it, but without latest.log we have no any useful info.
Estimated time en-route (ETE) based on assumption of constant Torus velocity = 32 * player.ship.maxSpeed. AFAIK since Oolite 1.80 space is flat far beyond Sun Gear redefined scale, but maybe there are some non-linear effects in proximity of sun or planets. Hope another_commander will provide more detailed answer. I'm using Warp Drive, integrating onto Hard Way, to modify player.ship.maxSpeed during cruise on Torus. So recalculating ETE values are part of game for me. Think in terms of jet currents, influencing ETE of air liners on trans-oceanic lanes.
Hmm... are you using Norby's Torus to Sun? It will give described picture - "framed" flight on Torus and ETE floating readings.

@another_commander
Reading in EliteWiki, Planetinfo.plist
Sun radius - a number between 1000 and 1000000.
Remembering it was the same for Oolite 1.77.
Is upper limit is actual yet? My largest suns in Sun Gear are up to 1 060 000. Is it technically safe?
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

stranger wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:25 pm

Hmm... are you using Norby's Torus to Sun? It will give described picture - "framed" flight on Torus and ETE floating readings.
Yes I am.

I have also sent you a pm containing a link to the Latest.log file.

Cheers
O.C.T.D (Oolite Crash Test Dummy) Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm......
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

Damocles Edge wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:23 am

Yes I am.
Bingo!
In vanilla systems distance between main planet and sun can be too low to notice "framed" motion. Torus to Sun intended to explore vast solar systems.

Hard Way is a bit too radical for casual gamer, but it has Warp Drive with smooth Torus flight.
Plan to convert it onto OXZ later.

Thanks for feedback!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

@another_commander
Reading in EliteWiki, Planetinfo.plist
Sun radius - a number between 1000 and 1000000.
Remembering it was the same for Oolite 1.77.
Is upper limit is actual yet? My largest suns in Sun Gear are up to 1 060 000. Is it technically safe?
The system setup code contains this:

Code: Select all

// clamp the sun radius
if ((sun_radius < 1000.0) || (sun_radius > sun_distance / 2  && !sunGoneNova))
{
	OOLogWARN(@"universe.setup.badSun",@"Sun radius of %f is not valid for this system",sun_radius);
	sun_radius = sun_radius < 1000.0 ? 1000.0 : (sun_distance / 2);
}
So it is basically bigger than 1000 but how big depends on the planet-sun distance and it can't be more than half of it. In any case you get a log warning if you try to exceed any limits and the game will clamp the value after warning you anyway. Technically you should be safe.

As for the other question about torus speed, it is a variable one. Once the nearest object to player goes beyond 4 x scanner range, torus speed factor starts increasing from its standard value of 32. The increase is given by the formula hyperspeedFactor = 32 * sqrt(distanceOfNearestObject/(4*ScannerRange)) and has a cap of 1024.
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

@another_commander

Thank you for explanation! This is valuable info.
I has observations that travel time on Torus is less than calculated from 32 * player.ship.maxSpeed. Now I have confirmation.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Sounds like a fun OXZ. Interesting to see folks still use ANC. :)
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

Sun Gear 4.1.0

Improved function of rough calculation of main planet temperature (still have some discrepancy with more complex calculation of planet temperature by Planet Engine).
Really not critical improvement - rough formula is used only to select main planet texture in my OXP not presented yet.
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

Sun Gear 4.2.0

Tweaking runaway greenhouse trigger in PlanetEngine - effect leading to transition Earth-like planets onto hellish Venus like planets with superdense overheated atmospheres.
Runaway greenhouse effect is never realized for main planet, but it has influence on appearance and properties of Terra class planets in Planetary Systems.
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Sun Gear's Advanced System Data MFD

Post by dybal »

Greetings!

It's a holiday down here and I have been spending the time "scratching some itches"... hunting down things that have been bothering me in my ooverse.

When I cycle through the available MFDs to set a given position on the HUD I get across one that lists the planets in the system, and if I select the sun as my target on Space Compass it shows some interesting data about the sun... I could not see it in the list of MFDs on the F4 (docked) screen entry from HUD Selector to make it "permanent" in my screen, so I bought MFD Fast Configuration but it didn't help (with this...it saved a lot of work setting up my screen): when the MFD set I defined for green condition loads that system data MFD isn't displayed.

I dug around a bit, found its equipment name (EQ_ADVANCED_SYSTEM_DATA_MFD), put some log messages into MFD Fast Configuration, and found that MFD was loaded into the MFD set and MFD Fast Conf is setting it when the set is activated.... but the MFD isn't shown until I cycle through it manually with ';'

So I searched more and found that this OXP created that MFD, and if I change the reflow parameter in the setMultiFunctionText to true (it's false in the OXP code) it is displayed correctly. If I take it out (it's optional) or use false the MFD data isn't output until that MFD is manually cycled-in.

That's undocumented behaviour from setMultiFunctionText, perhaps a bug in the core game code...

But as a work-around, using true in reflow works :lol:

In solar_system_data.js:

Code: Select all

this.$starPage = function()
        { 
    var w = worldScripts.AstroLibrary;
        var info = system.info;
        var catNum = " " + galaxyNumber + " " + system.ID;
    if (system.info.sun_radius)
                {
        var sunRadius = system.sun.radius;
                }
    var sunDistance = player.ship.position.distanceTo(system.sun).toFixed(0);
    var sunRelDistance = (sunDistance/system.sun.radius);
    var solarWind = w.$astroLib_SolarWind(sunDistance);
    var solarActivity = 10 * info.corona_flare;

var output = "Catalog number: " + catNum + "\n"
                        + "Spectral class: " + this.$spectrumText + "\n"
                        + "Radius: " + this.$solRadius.toFixed(2) + "\n"
                        + "Mass: " + this.$sunMass.toFixed(2) + "\n"
                    + "Luminosity: " + this.$solLuminosity.toFixed(2) + "\n"
                        + "Solar activity: " + solarActivity.toFixed(2) + "\n"            
                    + "Main planet period: " + this.$localYear.toFixed(2) + " days" + "\n"
                        + "Sun distance: " + sunRelDistance.toFixed(2) + " R" + "\n"
                        + "Solar wind flux: " + solarWind.toFixed(2) + " LY/min" + "\n\n";

//this.self.setMultiFunctionText("EQ_ADVANCED_SYSTEM_DATA_MFD", output, false);
    this.self.setMultiFunctionText("EQ_ADVANCED_SYSTEM_DATA_MFD", output, true);
        }

this.$planetPage = function()
    {   
    var output = this.$planetOrbitInfo;
    //this.self.setMultiFunctionText("EQ_ADVANCED_SYSTEM_DATA_MFD", output, false);
    this.self.setMultiFunctionText("EQ_ADVANCED_SYSTEM_DATA_MFD", output, true);
    }