V1.88 - first impressions

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

V1.88 - first impressions

Post by montana05 »

While having my first look at the ships with Gallery.OXP I recognized that while most ships got improved some (in my personal opinion) lost:

decommissioned bulk hauler (liners) seems a bit too shiny now
Caduceus lost the organically look

Once again, it was just a first glimpse, mainly to check if adjustments in my WIP will be required

EDIT: The planets look great now, very impressive. Is it just me or did effects like laser fire gain quality as well ?
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: V1.88 - first impressions

Post by another_commander »

Ah yes, I was expecting this post sooner or later. :-)

Old OXP assets are expected to have been designed with the old lighting system in mind. Things like specular color would behave quite differently then compared to now. These assets may require updates to their shipdatas to maintain their visuals. Assets that do not implement their own shaders will use the Oolite core ones by default. This may result in excessive shininess or lack of shininess or maybe unexpected colors etc.

And if that was not enough, the assets that do use their own shaders will have no change whatsoever in 1.88. Griff ships, for example, will look the same as before, unless their shaders get updated to make use of the new lighting system. They look great anyway, but they can look even better if this adjustment is made.

So the main point here is, if you are an OXP creator, check your assets in 1.88. There might be a possibility to make them look tons better and sometimes it could be as simple as adding a gloss entry in your shipdata.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

another_commander wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:30 pm
So the main point here is, if you are an OXP creator, check your assets in 1.88. There might be a possibility to make them look tons better and sometimes it could be as simple as adding a gloss entry in your shipdata.
That is exactly the reply I was worried that I will see. Basically it means that it will be necessary to check all ships and and eventually adjust and/or improve them. Btw. will there be an update of the references and manuals ? I could remember you posted in the past various metal variations but I am not able to find it anymore. :oops: Organic material (including corals) would be interesting as well as, in my opinion, this ships lost the most.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

But before changing textures and/or materials, start with the models and apply vertex normals to get the lighting in Oolite right.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

montana05 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:51 am
Btw. will there be an update of the references and manuals ? I could remember you posted in the past various metal variations but I am not able to find it anymore. :oops:
I would start by having a thorough look at the new lighting system's description here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19881

"Pure" metallic materials are pretty easy to do, actually. You just need to remember to set the diffuse color to black and use a high specular color, which could be also tinted (only metals have this property). A gloss around 0.65 and above, depending on how sharp you want the reflection to be, would complete the setup/
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Looks pretty good so far, no problems whatever. Haven't got too close to the atmosphere yet, at some point I shall try a landing and see what that looks like now.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Arrrrgh! I don't understand the materials stuff at all; I've managed to get (mostly) decent effects in my expansion packs through desperate trial and error. Is there a good, simple guide somewhere, or, er, some sort of troubleshooting team? Still, I suppose I should try out 1.88 before panicking . .
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

@UK_Eliter: If you can be more specific about what parts you don't understand, we might be able to be of assistance. Getting somewhat good looking effects in your OXPs by desperate trial and error means that you did not have a solid understanding of the previous system either, right? If so, it might just be easier to make the mindset switch to the new system once you understand it - it is not really that complicated. Have you had a look at the post I linked above? It contains some information to get you started and also links to other resources on the net for getting additional information or even material specifications that you could take and make use of.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

another_commander

Thanks. No, I did not understand the previous system at all well, either. Nor did I look at the link you provided. I will do so!
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Finally had a chance to look at all the ships I am using, so far only minor adjustments were necessary. I still need to find a solution for the Caduceus and some of the Aquatics ships but it shouldn't be to difficult to figure out within this week.