Strange key repeat issue following Manjaro update

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Strange key repeat issue following Manjaro update

Post by Damocles Edge »

Several days go my Linux distro (Manjaro) had quite a large update (if memory serves it was between 600-700 meg).
Anyhow it appears that since that update my Oolite (1.86) is suffering at times from a diminished key repeat issue.

For example if I am hold "i" to inject away, injectors will engage for around 8 seconds and then cease until I release "i" and depress it again.
The same is true at times of holding shift to repeatedly tap "N" to cycle through equip rather than activate using "n", I will sometimes get equipment activating even though shift is held down.
Sometimes piloting the ship seems to suffer from the same issue, especially if I am holding up or down to bring ship about 180 degrees, I will find that my course change halts part way through until I release the key and then depress again.
As yet I haven't noticed anything else suffering from this behaviour (just Oolite) I just wanted to ask if any other users of Manjaro or indeed any other Linux distro has experienced any similar problems with Oolite?
Last edited by Damocles Edge on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.C.T.D (Oolite Crash Test Dummy) Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm......
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: Strangle key repeat issue following Manjaro update

Post by Norby »

Is the problem persists with another keyboard, or with different repeat/sec settings?
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Thanks for the suggestion Norby.
It didn't look like a keyboard / keyboard settings issue (but then I remember lots of instances in the past where I discounted an explanation because it was too obvious - to my folly).
So I have tested with an alternate keyboard (packed up my cherry and replaced with a spare Logitech :( ) No change there - aside from being less pleasant to type on.
I have also tried doubling the keyboard repeat speed from 20 to 40 with no change in behaviour regarding Oolite.

Ahh - knock me down with a feather - the distro update gods must be spying on me - my little update icon has just lit up red which means more updates are waiting.

I'll update again and try running Oolite again in case the updates make any difference.

Will post back once done.

Thanks again.
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Apologies for the delay in reporting back.
After a couple of batches of updates, kernel updates amongst them I still have the odd behaviour present.
The odd thing that I have noticed is that the ship will circle by holding climb or dive, but if another key is depressed it revokes the held key after around 4 seconds.
I've tried another save game just in case it was something to do with the python commander ship which I am currently using but alas found the same issue with a previous game in which I have a cobra mk 4.

I'll try my alternate LTS kernel to see if it makes any difference and report back.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

At last resort buy a gamepad - keyboard-like usage but different interface so should workaround the problem.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

You could also try doing a test with an older version of Oolite (say, 1.84 or 1.82) and seeing if the problem persists.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Older versions of Oolite are available here - and just to check: you are using a Linux Oolite from here, yes?

Ahh yes, Oolite 1.65 - I remember it well.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Cody wrote:
Cody wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:27 pm
...and just to check: you are using a Linux Oolite from here, yes?...
@Damocles Edge
Could you check that you get the same behavior when running Oolite using the oolite.org package?
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Sorry I have been away from Oolite for some time (not like me).

Subsequent updates to my Manjaro rig have not addressed this strange issue, but I have learned to adjust my Oolite play (key depression sequence) to allow for it.
I can confirm that I am using the oolite.org package 1.86 (have been ever since I found that the distro install of Oolite scattered files between home and root partitions).

It's got me foxed because I know that my Oolite install hasn't changed (aside from oxp's) so therefore it must be something that has changed with the updates to my Manjaro install.
Rolling back to an older version of Oolite sounds quite a chore and I would guess that it probably won't resolve whatever the issue is (as 1.86 was previously running just fine for a long time).

Many thanks to everyone for their input and ideas.

Apologies once again for being away for so long.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Nice to here that you have adapted your handling.
I hope this doesn't affect your dog fighting or evasive maneuvers, though. :wink:

I will try to replicate the issue. Please, share some info about your Manjaro installation.
Talking about 64bit Manjaro distro, right?
XFCE, KDE or GNOME desktop environment?
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Getafix wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:03 am
Nice to here that you have adapted your handling.
I hope this doesn't affect your dog fighting or evasive maneuvers, though. :wink:
At times it does - but not too often - Python's don't dogfight too well, so I prefer to keep my quarry at a distance.
Getafix wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:03 am
I will try to replicate the issue. Please, share some info about your Manjaro installation.
Talking about 64bit Manjaro distro, right?
XFCE, KDE or GNOME desktop environment?
I use XFCE 64bit (can't see there being many folks at all using 32bit).

Cheers
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Damocles

Are you using a Lenovo computer? It's been revealed recently that Lenovo computers - well, some ThinkPads at least - have very buggy keyboard firmware. (And that might fit some experiences I have had on my Linux - Linux Mint 0 ThinkPad, though I play Oolite only on my Windows desktop.)
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

UK_Eliter wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:56 pm
Damocles

Are you using a Lenovo computer? It's been revealed recently that Lenovo computers - well, some ThinkPads at least - have very buggy keyboard firmware. (And that might fit some experiences I have had on my Linux - Linux Mint 0 ThinkPad, though I play Oolite only on my Windows desktop.)
No - I'm using an Asus mobo in my rig.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Strange key repeat issue following Manjaro update

Post by Getafix »

Sorry for the delay Damocles. RL got in the way and also did not manage to natively boot your OS to replicate the case (VM is not helping with devices issues).
I hope I'll have some feedback soon on that matter. I'll be back. (add a strange accent) 8)
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Strange key repeat issue following Manjaro update

Post by Damocles Edge »

My thanks for your efforts Getafix :)