[Beta] Release of Telescope 2.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Beta] Release of Telescope 2.0

Post by arquebus »

Fantastic! I'm glad you found the fix! (I'm also glad I wasn't crazy!)
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

arquebus wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:51 pm
And here's the log:
The version of Station Options in your log, station_options.Cholmondely.oxz, is an old, one-time version to get Cholmondely up and running and should be replaced.

for Telescope version 2.0, use:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dzz9ayq1e0jhv ... s.oxz?dl=0

for Telescope version 1.15, use:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vusqo0pwx3ckj ... s.oxz?dl=0
"Better to be thought a fool, boy, than to open your trap and remove all doubt." - Grandma [over time, just "Shut your trap... fool"]
"The only stupid questions are the ones you fail to ask." - Dad
How do I...? Nevermind.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

I've replaced them all with the ones you just linked! I think I actually had a more recently updated station options, but somehow ended up with the .Cholmondely version again.
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:03 pm
hiran wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:00 pm
Is there some download link that I could use? The expansions manager only covers Telescope 1.15...
This is cag's most recent version:
New Station Options: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hq2cka2jwy59r ... .oxz?dl=0
arquebus wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:58 am
I've replaced them all with the ones you just linked! I think I actually had a more recently updated station options, but somehow ended up with the .Cholmondely version again.

Cholmondely, your link above for Station Options is incorrect. Please edit your message to be consistent with the other posts, namely

"Better to be thought a fool, boy, than to open your trap and remove all doubt." - Grandma [over time, just "Shut your trap... fool"]
How do I...? Nevermind.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

cag wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:17 am
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:03 pm
hiran wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:00 pm
Is there some download link that I could use? The expansions manager only covers Telescope 1.15...
This is cag's most recent version:
New Station Options: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hq2cka2jwy59r ... .oxz?dl=0
arquebus wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:58 am

Cholmondely, your link above for Station Options is incorrect. Please edit your message to be consistent with the other posts, namely

Done. Sorry.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

phkb wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:47 am
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:21 am
I hate the way the configuration interface works, it is just so immersion-breaking
I created a small OXP for myself to default the Asteroid Tweaks settings, moving the settings into Library Config and then suppressing all the prompts the original OXP will display. If there's interest I can post a copy in my box.com account.
A long time ago I mused that there should be an entry in the Oolite system menu for OXPs. This would be used for out of game configurations, like Asteroid Tweaks. I did not do any kind of station interface for the Asteroid Tweaks, because it felt wrong to put these kinds of meta game settings there. Instead I chose to force the settings once after installing the oxp. An annoying decicion, now that you think of it :D.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

HIMSN: we want the HIMSN stations not to show up on Telescope 2.0 or on Telescope 1.15 until one is "on top of them" and can see them visibly.

cag: Is there some sort of code that we can include in the HIMSN.oxp which will achieve this?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Oh! And is there any chance of transmogrifying the units of measurement to include Miles, Cavezzi, Torans & OU's? (Like the Galactic Almanac). How would I do it?
Comments wanted:
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:57 pm
HIMSN: we want the HIMSN stations not to show up on Telescope 2.0 or on Telescope 1.15 until one is "on top of them" and can see them visibly.
If by "on top of them", you mean scanner range, no problem (see below). But for a telescope to see them visibly, that's quite a different story. You can see a station from quite a distance without a telescope. With one, we could say it's an amorphous souce of light the computer can't classify/resolve until closer...

The other problem is the beacon. Both beaconCode and isBeacon are read-only, so they'll show up on the ASC, no? BeaconLabel is writable, so maybe not set that until the player is in scanner range? Just spit-balling here.
cag: Is there some sort of code that we can include in the HIMSN.oxp which will achieve this?
from telescope's readme:

Code: Select all

Script_info support:
====================

OXP makers can alter the detection of any objects in shipdata.plist to avoid 
revealing mission secrets.

Stations with non-standard roles and ships with the word "stealth" within their 
dataKey or role are detected in normal scanner range only. Must specify 
"telescope" script_info key to detect it farther to stay compatible with the 
existing OXPs, for example Rescue Stations.oxp, Stealth.oxp and Vector.oxp.

Standard Station roles: "station", "coriolis", "dodo", "dodec", "dodecahedron", 
"ico", "icosa", "icosahedron" and "rockhermit".

Hiding ships need "stealth" role or set telescope = 0; in script_info.

script_info = {
 	telescope = 0;
 };

* 0: detected within normal scanner only as without telescope.
* 1: detected in visible range only (due to gravity scanner can see a ship 
     with 1kg mass from 2km only).
* Positive integer: give new mass to the ship in kg which can increase the 
                    gravity detection.
* Negative integer: will be substracted from the ship.mass in kg to reduce 
                    gravity detection.

If this key is not placed at all then get the normal detection.
Objects with disabled detection (0) are not detected when arrive into visible 
range (need scanner range), but once detected then tracked over scanner 
range while in visible range until next scan (small help and save performance).
This is supported in both Telescope 1.15 & 2.0.

"himsn_headquarters" in shipdata.plist already has a script_info, so only the telescope entry is required. You may want to add quotes if on a Mac "telescope" = 0; (?)

What systems would I find these stations in?

FYI: link on [EliteWiki] HIMSN is broken:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/File:H ... a_test.oxz

I grabbed a .zip copy from GitHub, which had timestamps from last week. Is there even an oxz being maintained? If not, the wiki should be updated to aid less technical users getting it.

It would also be nice if links to related oxz's were also listed. In trying to assemble them, I had a bunch of wiki tabs open, each with follow-on links. A real rabbit warren.

FYI: link for system_redux.zip on http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/System_Redux_(Oolite) is broken:
http://msdownload.co.uk/Oolite/system_redux.zip
but the link for its update works fine!
Last edited by cag on Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
How do I...? Nevermind.
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:06 pm
Oh! And is there any chance of transmogrifying the units of measurement to include Miles, Cavezzi, Torans & OU's? (Like the Galactic Almanac). How would I do it?
Distance units are a BFM. It's unfortunate we have 'm' and 'km', as they do not scale as the metric units most of us use. 'm' for meter seems reasonable as you near ships, scoop stuff, but the 'k' in 'km' cannot be kilo (way too small) but some other multiplier not well defined.

It got worse with the introduction if 'Gkm', a million 'km', breaking the greek progression of kilo, mega, giga, tera, peta, etc. Now I understand that different species will have developed their own units of measure, but for the love of all things holy, define them in an unambiguous manner!

Ahh, much better. So, if an oxp has different units and the player can select to use those units, I could be persuaded to comply, given the above caveats.
How do I...? Nevermind.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

cag wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:39 am
Both beaconCode and isBeacon are read-only
beaconCode is r/w from v1.77
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

The other problem is the beacon. Both beaconCode and isBeacon are read-only, so they'll show up on the ASC, no? BeaconLabel is writable, so maybe not set that until the player is in scanner range? Just spit-balling here.
phkb wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:57 am
Both beaconCode and isBeacon are read-only
beaconCode is r/w from v1.77
Great, so you can keep beaconCode null until one is "on top of them" then set it; .isBeacon will reflect the change.

But wait, 'beacon' only appears in the shipdata.plist file, no where else in the oxp. So the HIMSN stations are on the ASC and broadcasting their radio beacons. And telescope can detect radio, so what am I missing here? Are these stations cloaked or hidden in dusty nebulae or have a really slim profile? :) I need a location so I can see what's what.

What exactly are you trying to do here? Could an intermittent/on demand beacon be a solution? If you don't want a pilot stumbling upon it too early, you could leave the beacon off and when the time is right (eg. accepts mission), give him a special receiver or frequency that's outside of commercial bands. I like the receiver, so if it's damaged in battle, you get to jerk his chain some more.
How do I...? Nevermind.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Miniature Lecture on the Navies in Oolite.

HIMSN was thought of back in 2012 as a more lore-based alternative to the older Galactic Navy.oxp. HIMSN is supposed to be virtually invisible, off fighting the Thargoids in intergalactic space (as per the original Elite Manual) etc. etc.

The Galactic Navy, if you have never peeked, is massive. And very clever. 16 clearly labelled naval bases in each of the 8 galaxies. Zillions of naval patrols. News on the fight against the Thargoids. Loyalty bonds. Special welcome to the navy bases. Join a reserve unit. Earn medals. Etc. Etc. For little me, it usefully places a navy patrol at the witchpoint in Isinor for my Tionisla-Isinor milkruns. They clobber the Isinorian pirates, I just stand and applaud from a distance.... (GN was written by Matt634 in 2007 - then updated to Javascript by Nemoricus (2009) - and then Spara added new shadered ship .oxp's in 2014)

Gimi (an officer in the Royal Norwegian Navy) directed a team of half a dozen - including Cody & Disembodied - and then got eaten alive by E:D after a year or so. Pleb took over and manfully resisted E:D for 6 months. On his demise (involving liquefaction, liquidisation and liquers), the project collapsed. It's been in limbo ever since - until Tsoj & cbr started working on it a couple of weeks ago.

A handful of hidden bases dotted around a handful of galaxies. Bases for the fight against the Thargoids - presumably loaded with stealth stuff to hide their presence. No beacons. If you have to go there, you will be told where to go...

Iff we can get the alpha version out on the Expansions Manager (almost there!), there are then beta and gamma variants waiting to be added (if we stick to Gimi's masterplan - but he knew what he was up to, just as Matt634 & Nemoricus did with GN).

And Commdr James solved your km issues here.
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

More fun and games...

Sorry....

Code: Select all

22:58:50.967 [script.load.world.listAll] +[ResourceManager loadScripts] (ResourceManager.m:2132): Loaded 362 world scripts:
    telescope 2.0
    telescope_fps_monitor 1.2
    telescopeeq 2.0
22:58:52.150 [telescope] GlobalLog (OOJSGlobal.m:266): 
function startUp() 	 caught: 	TypeError: ws._adjustMLFlags is not a function
    parameters: { isPlaying: false, loop: false, position: Vector3D: (0, 0, 0), positional: false, repeatCount: 1, sound: { name: "ScanSound.ogg" }, volume: 1 }
    file: /Library/Application Support/Oolite/Managed AddOns/Norby.cag.Telescope.2.06.oxz/Scripts/telescope.js...
        line: 1476,	_SetMasslockRings( 1 )
    file: /Library/Application Support/Oolite/Managed AddOns/Norby.cag.Telescope.2.06.oxz/Scripts/telescope.js...
        line:  260,	_load_missionVariables()
        line:  201,	startUp()
22:58:57.759 [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction] ReportJSError (OOJavaScriptEngine.m:204): ***** JavaScript exception (telescope 2.0): TypeError: ws._initOxpVars is not a function
23:08:46.576 [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction] ReportJSError (OOJavaScriptEngine.m:204): ***** JavaScript exception (telescope 2.0): TypeError: ws._set_curr_Sighting is not a function

14th December version (I renamed it Telescope.2.06 just as I renamed all the earlier versions...)
Comments wanted:
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:17 pm
More fun and games...
14th December version (I renamed it Telescope.2.06 just as I renamed all the earlier versions...)
That was a result of mixing versions. I've instituted strict version numbering so Oolite should inform you when one is out of date. Telescope is now version 2.0.7!

new option: SniperRingActive
- select under which conditions the sniper ring is displayed (alertCondition/weaponsOnline)

updated all effectdata.plist files to current core/oxp data

fixed bug where arquebus couldn't lock on ship (episode 10? & 18) & got repeated targeting messages
=> the ship in question had a Military Jammer
Telescope 1.15 had same issue and just ignored the ship; I've just refused to lock (for now?).

The Military Jammer corrupts the scanner but the ship still emits light (i.e. is not cloaked) so the Telescope can still see it. While 1.15 completely ignored it, I'm still listing it in the MFD, we just cannot acquire a lock. So there's little change to game balance. Is this better/preferable or should we revert to what 1.15 did?

All 3 oxp's will need to be downloaded to get in version synch:
Telescope: https://www.dropbox.com/s/swfwx5klha3dn ... e.oxz?dl=0
Extender: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oq331u061tucn ... r.oxz?dl=0
Station Options: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dzz9ayq1e0jhv ... s.oxz?dl=0

I've just got a few minor tweaks left on my list before I call this version done. Do you think it's ready for the expansion manager?
How do I...? Nevermind.