Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite Promo Vid WIP

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Oolite Promo Vid WIP

Post by BlackWolf »

Creativity is a gift, use it well.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Oolite Promo Vid WIP

Post by phkb »

That video is awesome! Love the music!

If I was make any suggestion, it would be to add a small disclaimer to the start or end of the video, stating something like "Some Oolite expansion packs were used in the creation of this video", just so there's no confusion over what the base game supplies, to what you're demoing. And if I was to be really, really picky, I'd even suggest have a list (maybe in the video description, or if you link the video back to this thread, somewhere here) of all the expansion packs included in the video (from memory I saw System Rings, a pile of ship OXP's, Xenon UI, Telescope, Damage Control MFD, and a customised Dangerous HUD), so that anyone who wants to recreate the experience on the screen has a way of tracking all the packs down.

But in short: Well done!
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by BlackWolf »

Thanks a lot. The end I might change up to have end credits and I like the idea of a disclaimer in the opening as well as a list of OXZ's used in the discription.
All of which I'll probably do over the next few days. Took a lot to get all those clips timed to the beat so a bit exhausted right now. lol
There was so much I wanted to show but the music clip is only just over 2 minutes so not enough time.
I have other music clips that are a bit longer so when I have a few other key features on vid I'll do up one that's a little longer and shows of more.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Some suggestions:
  • Do not show sped-up video. Especially with lots of twists and turns, it can make the viwer dizzy.
  • Use more (shorter) combat clips, normal speed. This way, you can show the game as it actually is and get a chance to show more stuff (like scenery and space locations) and ships fighting. No need to show the entire hunting attempt of an enemy, just the moments before it blows up or an impressive flyby as he comes towards you or something like that.
  • If this is for promo purposes, then better run it with the graphics maxed out to the fullest extent possible. If performance drops as a result you may need to look for a more powerful computer. I know it's not always easy to gain access to one, but promo needs to be maxed out visually AND keep a solid-60 framerate.
  • The debug console can help you set up pretty locations when recording a demo. You can change things like sun color, or customize a system to have lots of nebula or lots of stars, planets with or without atmosphere, lots of asteroids or any combination of those. Note that since everything that can be done with the console can also be done via scripting, such manipulation cannot not be considered cheating on the part of the creator of the video.
  • Use the built-in external camera (External View, then switch CapsLock to On and use arrow, '<' and '>' and PageUp / PageDn keys to move and zoom the camera) for extra coolness.
  • As discussed already (but repeated here because it is important), you must absolutely mention in the video description the OXPs used.
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by BlackWolf »

Well, guess someone else should do this then cause all I have is a MacBook pro and I live far away from civilization, so best I could do is make shorter clips and list the OXZ's used.
Oh well I tried, just don't have the tech to do what needs done.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

He! Still a good starting point, BlackWolf! :D
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by BlackWolf »

To do what I would like it will need to be around 5 to 6 minutes long and different views of different ships, the market, the job boards and combat, docking, and planet views.
So if folks would like to donate footage of different aspects or awesome shots that I can add PM me.
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by BlackWolf »

The only reason I ask for vid clips or in game footage is I know some of you have way better gaming set ups then I do with better graphics then my MacBook can do.
Yes I'm laptop'n, keyboad fly this. lol
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by BlackWolf »

Okay 234 manager installed OXZ's, and
25 manual oxp/z installed.
2 of the manual are in development and not listed.
1 oxz installed is no longer available, Esscort Missions, comes up dark blue in the manager.
So the oxz used in this vid is going to be a long list. Lol
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

You don't need to list every OXP you have installed, just the ones that will make a difference to what you see on your screen.

After seeing your video, it inspired me to have a go at doing one myself. So here's my attempt (and my very first YouTube upload - eek!) at an Oolite teaser trailer: https://youtu.be/48GvR8xgDy4

Recorded on my Lenovo laptop, standard Intel HD graphics, only 1600x900 res (maybe if I get time I'll time I'll try to create it on something bigger).

Music "Epic Teaser" from HookSounds (https://www.hooksounds.com/royalty-free ... er/377630/), licenced under CC BY ND 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by ... /legalcode

Expansion packs used in video:
System Features: Rings; Povray Planets; gsagostinho's Texture Pack: Fer-de-Lance; gsagostinho's Texture Pack: Cobra Mk III; gsagostinho's Texture Pack: Python; gsagostinho's Texture Pack: Asp Mk II; Griff Alloys and Wreckage; Griff Asp; Griff Asteroids; Griff Boa; Griff Boa_MkII; Griff Cobra MkI; Griff Cobra MkIII; Griff Ferdelance; Griff Mamba; Griff Missiles; Griff Prototype Boa; Griff Python; Griff Shipset Decals; Griff Station Bundle; Griff Thargoids; Griff Viper; Griff Viper High Poly version; Griff Viper Interceptor High Poly version; Subentity Missiles for Griff Cobra MkIII; Wildships; Globe Station; Stations for Extra Planets - Base; Stations for Extra Planets - Stations; Station Ads; Your Ad Here; ZygoUgo's Asteroids - shady; ZygoUgo's Asteroids resources; ZygoUgo's Explosions; KeeperSky; Xenon HUD; Comms Log MFD; Broadcast Comms MFD; Combat MFD; Market Inquirer; Navigation MFD; Iceteroids; Camera Drones; N-Shields; Noshader Z GrOovy Variety Packs; Font: Discognate

Edit: Republished video with a couple of tweaks/improvements.
Last edited by phkb on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

@phkb: Great work!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

another_commander wrote:
@phkb: Great work!
Second that .-)
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by BlackWolf »

Awesome. Glad to have inspired.
I will post a link to it on the Oolite FB page.
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

I especially liked the camera rolls in phkb's vid where after every roll you see a different ship.

Maybe it also needs to be shown what one can do... like

"There's no limit to what you can become: Trader. Hunter. Miner. Courier. Explorer. Transporter. Warlord. Information broker. Banker. Jack of all trades, but master of none. Only you decide the path you take... it is you who decides how the story goes. It is in your hands to shape your fate, and the fate of others... and time is on your side. Oolite. The Ooniverse is yours. (PS: Oh, and it's free, too)"

Something like that spoken with a cool dark voice... graphics upped to the max... I can imagine that to be some cool trailer.
jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jackiebean »

both are pretty cool videos. i didnt mind the sped up ship gallery, it showed variety without any specifics.

while a voiceover would be cool too, probably at the very beginning before the music gets too invasive, it isnt necessary, although i would like to see a promo like that, who would voice it? have to have a decent mic/ DAW to get everything sounding right.

something i used to have but alas, that was something that went the way of the dodo bird on my old rig after windows 7 nerfed all my programs.