Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

(WIP) Home System

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Prester John
Competent
Competent

Re: (WIP) Home System

Post by Prester John »

phkb wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:58 am
Prester John wrote:
Does not work with Oolite 1.84 ...
That is true, which it does say on the box!

However, why are you still using 1.84? 1.86 has been out for a while, and has a whole pile of bug fixes and improvements - it's worth the download. No, really, it is! Edit to add: I see you answered this question in the Dark Rainbow thread. However, I didn't think the system demands of 1.86 were that much greater than 1.84. Was it the planet textures that were the problem?

If I get a chance I'll have a look at why I limited the version to 1.86 - probably some events that were only added in that version - and see if there's a way I can make it 1.84 compatible. No promises, though!
Mmmmhhhhokay! :|
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Prester John wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:29 am
Now, the real problem I have is : with the Wormhole.
I don't know if it is because of other *.OXZ/*.OXP files I have installed, but it's a [pain in my ass] when I *H*yperspace from a system to an other.
The game freezes for about one minute and I have to wait until the Wormhole is forming on the screen. Often, I have to try (and succeed to) shut down Oolite and re-boot my PC.
My guess is : my graphic card is just 'limit', so to speak.
My guess is that, yes, it's an OXP/OXZ causing the problem, but it's probably unrelated to your graphics card. While the wormhole is being displayed, Oolite is busy calling all the installed OXP's and seeing if they have any system setup tasks that need to be performed. The more OXP's installed, the longer the delay you experience, but it will be CPU being used here, not GPU.

BTW, if you find the default Perlin 3D textures in 1.86 too much for your lowly PC, you can turn them off globally by adding "perlin_3d = no;" to the "universal" section of a planetinfo.plist file. You can create you own, if you like, with just this entry in it, just put the file in the "Config" folder of an OXP subfolder in your AddOns folder.

The structure should look like this:

- AddOns
-- MyPrefs.oxp
--- Config
---- planetinfo.plist

Here's a sample of what a custom planetinfo.plist file should look like to achieve this:

Code: Select all

{
	"universal" = 
	{
		perlin_3d = no;
	};
}
Let me know if you need more help getting your own custom planetinfo.plist file active.
Prester John
Competent
Competent

Post by Prester John »

phkb wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:25 am
Prester John wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:29 am
Now, the real problem I have is : with the Wormhole.
I don't know if it is because of other *.OXZ/*.OXP files I have installed, but it's a [pain in my ass] when I *H*yperspace from a system to an other.
The game freezes for about one minute and I have to wait until the Wormhole is forming on the screen. Often, I have to try (and succeed to) shut down Oolite and re-boot my PC.
My guess is : my graphic card is just 'limit', so to speak.
My guess is that, yes, it's an OXP/OXZ causing the problem, but it's probably unrelated to your graphics card. While the wormhole is being displayed, Oolite is busy calling all the installed OXP's and seeing if they have any system setup tasks that need to be performed. The more OXP's installed, the longer the delay you experience, but it will be CPU being used here, not GPU.

BTW, if you find the default Perlin 3D textures in 1.86 too much for your lowly PC, you can turn them off globally by adding "perlin_3d = no;" to the "universal" section of a planetinfo.plist file. You can create you own, if you like, with just this entry in it, just put the file in the "Config" folder of an OXP subfolder in your AddOns folder.

The structure should look like this:

- AddOns
-- MyPrefs.oxp
--- Config
---- planetinfo.plist

Here's a sample of what a custom planetinfo.plist file should look like to achieve this:

Code: Select all

{
	"universal" = 
	{
		perlin_3d = no;
	};
}
Let me know if you need more help getting your own custom planetinfo.plist file active.
OOOOHHH, goodie!
I think you made my day.
Doing it right now!!!
Prester John
Competent
Competent

Post by Prester John »

Finally!
I have fought (all the afternoon) with Oo1.86 to make it work as smoothly as Oo1.84. :roll:
I have found out that I did not need the .plist thingie. It was just a matter of 'too much textures' and related *.oxz.
So I un-installed the conflictic ones and made sure that I got a 'clean configuration/installation'.
Oo1.86, on my computer now, is kinda-like a 'custom Oo1.86'. Not really 'full', not really 'basic'... Let's just say 'average'.
Some little lags, still, but nothing to worry about. The 'wormhole problem', well, let's get started to wait a bit between systems, right?
And, NOW, I have HomeSystem installed.
:P :lol: (I need a break, now : my nerves...)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cool!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

got message from Duma: VQA748-XE1 3 11833 : A pleasure to see you, Captain.

Exception: uncaught exception: Invalid settings: message already exists.
Active script: HomeSystem 0.10
(the first line might be unrelated, but the exception says message so I included the line just before it in the log)
phkb

Post by phkb »

Thanks, will be fixed in the next release.
phkb

Post by phkb »

V0.11 has been released with the fix.
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

I updated, however still got this exception:
got message from GalCop Viper: RWZ090-XE1 2 7425 : Good to see you in-system again, Commander Milo.
Exception: uncaught exception: Invalid settings: message already exists.
Active script: HomeSystem 0.11
phkb

Post by phkb »

Aw, dang.

*pulls on overalls and picks up monkey wrench*

This will only take a second.

*loud banging heard coming from underneath chassis*
phkb

Post by phkb »

Fixed in v0.12
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

I “invested” several times in my home system via the F3 10k credit item, but there was no obvious result (the credits were taken but no feedback was given on how that affected my status in the system). The reputation interface in F4 still lists me as a casual acquaintance. It might be useful to display the total lifetime investment amount there, to at least show that the purchases were tracked and the credits didn’t just go into a black hole. I haven’t looked into the code here so as not to spoil my experience discovering what effects this OXP will have, so this feedback is from a perspective of complete ignorance about what investing in the system actually does.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Milo wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:54 am
... so this feedback is from a perspective of complete ignorance about what investing in the system actually does.
Your dosh goes straight into the coffers of whichever crime family is running that particular system.
Otherwise, things tend to go missing, spaceships get broken - if you get my drift.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cody wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:19 am
Your dosh goes straight into the coffers of whichever crime family is running that particular system.
Otherwise, things tend to go missing, spaceships get broken - if you get my drift.
Or it might form another method of improving your standing/progress with a system, and therefore getting more perks unlocked.
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

So the uncertainty about its effect is a feature, not a bug. Got it.