Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

(WIP) Home System

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: (WIP) Home System

Post by Damocles Edge »

kinda like a tescoo clubcard for the criminal fraternity ?
FWIW I agree with all the points made by phkb.
I think I am just trying to justify to myself that home system oxp and the credits I have spent in fees and investments are worth it to have the police say hello to me (like the old joke about bin men and christmas) :lol:
Last edited by Damocles Edge on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
O.C.T.D (Oolite Crash Test Dummy) Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm......
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

phkb wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:06 pm

What is possibly worth considering is doing a variation on Home System that only applies to non-GalCop stations. A separate purchase (eg "Home System Fringe Privileges"), with maybe not as many benefits, maybe not quite as good (ie instead of a 5% rebate on equipment purchases, only giving 2.5%), maybe harder to reach. Thoughts?
Maybe you could have something based on mob /mafia type economy.
Whereby trading your ill-gotten gains via non-Galcop organisations results in the mob taking a cut.
When your tributes are deemed to have been acknowledged as being a paid up member you are then entitled to certain levels of discounts on goods / services (this could be tiered depending on how long and how much you have been contributing).
Maybe the mob could ask you to do jobs for them, maybe on a mob type version of the galcop mission board again with the mob taking cuts of all transactions involved in whatever the job was whether it was smuggling items for them, stealing items for them, intercepting or changing information, maybe even killing someone.
And to answer the question that you are undoubtedly thinking - I have watched Goodfellas too many times. :wink:
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

BlackWolf wrote:
that gives little perks the more you visit the fringe stations.
Damocles Edge wrote:
kinda like a tescoo clubcard for the criminal fraternity
That's what I was thinking, yes. I imagine it would apply to "neutral" and "chaotic" aligned stations. There could be a whole separate one for "pirate" aligned stations. Or maybe they should all be lumped together.
Damocles Edge wrote:
I think I am just trying to justify to myself that home system oxp and the credits I have spent in fees and investments are worth it to have the police say hello to me
One of the current benefits that will kick in eventually is a "Clear Offender Status", where, if you dock at a GalCop station with an offender legal status, it will be cleared for you, no questions asked.

However, it's an interesting point for anyone running with an offender status most of the time. Should there be an offender/fugitive home system equivalent, would it be worthwhile, and what benefits should be applied?
Damocles Edge wrote:
Whereby trading your ill-gotten gains via non-Galcop organisations results in the mob taking a cut.
That's a good point - rather than using the number of times you dock, use the amount of certain commodities you buy/sell. It probably means someone flying an Anaconda can level up faster, but that's probably ok.
phkb

Post by phkb »

I'm starting to see this "fringe" home system as a completely separate OXP, rather than an add-on to the current version. Oh, man, I was planning on limiting my cookie intake...
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

phkb wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:15 pm
However, it's an interesting point for anyone running with an offender status most of the time.
That would be a fun playthrough style - taking advantage of some of the less offensive illegalities, whilst being careful to not misbehave too much and being enough of a good citizen to avoid becoming a fugitve.

phkb wrote:
I'm starting to see this "fringe" home system as a completely separate OXP, rather than an add-on to the current version. Oh, man, I was planning on limiting my cookie intake...
Eh, diets are over-rated!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

phkb wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:15 pm
Should there be an offender/fugitive home system equivalent...
When I was regularly running as an offender/fugitive, I'd have killed for such a system. Life was tough - couldn't save at rock hermits back then.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cody wrote:
I'd have killed for such a system
Well, I think there's probably enough interest in the idea to pursue it. I'll draft up some ideas and post them shortly.
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Cody wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:53 pm
When I was regularly running as an offender/fugitive, I'd have killed for such a system. Life was tough - couldn't save at rock hermits back then.
On that note I sometimes find now that I cannot save when at rock hermits & salvage gangs - tends to be hit and miss - anyone else find this ?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Which rock hermits? Core, Griff's, other?
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

:idea: On the main subject I've been doing some thinking ...

What if organised crime in oolite was as it is in reality, by that I mean that it is divided by factions - some tolerate each other (begrudgingly) other are actively working against each other in order to take over territory.
What I am saying is that maybe you have to align yourself to a faction and so will receive co-operation and help from any systems that your faction controls (perhaps even assistance from other criminals within your faction), but may receive outright hostility from the criminal element in systems where another faction is present.
A faction could be small (maybe covering just 1 or 2 systems) or it could be huge and diverse (covering dozens of systems).
Rewards could be based on how much the faction has grown since the player joined said faction.
This would give the player a choice of difficulty and reward depending upon whether the player wants be:

a small cog in a huge machine (faction) where support and the area over which it is offered is vast but the rewards offered are rather diminutive

or

be a big cog in a small machine (faction) where support and the systems where it can be offered is limited but the rewards for helping a small faction grow are considerable

You could have missions offered that pit you against rival factions to try and take their rock hermit / pirate cove or salvage gang locations down (destroy).
Once successful in taking control of the system, you could then be tasked with ferrying raw materials to the location where your new pirate cove is to be based and defending it whilst it is being built until it is able to operate and look after itself (again the perks for this would probably be considerable but it would be a very tough task).

It could also be possible to change factions so that you are by no means tied to them for life, but you would have to think about the following:

1. Would a new faction trust someone from a rival faction (they could offer prospective talks as a ruse to ambush and eliminate a member of a rival faction.
2. After leaving your old faction you are not exactly going to be on their christmas card list (unless it ticks) infact you are going to be numero uno enemy.

Apologies for rambling on with ideas (unfortunately most of my ideas take on a life of their own which have children and then grand children!

I've no idea if any of what I have suggested is viable and it probably takes the game in totally different direction to regular elite.

Also I've no idea if any of this makes any sense (would be a first for me) :lol:

If any of my ideas are muddled (or just complete nonsense) please let me know

Cheers
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Cody wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:35 pm
Which rock hermits? Core, Griff's, other?
I'm using Griffs Station Bundle.
I have noted however that my list of oxp's installed seems never ending and so have done some housekeeping removing amongst many other oxps: stations for extra planets, pirate cove and a great many retextures and dittys which I should hopefully not miss. My thinking being the more streamlined my install - the less chance of conflict.
If nothing else it will save me some drive space.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Damocles Edge wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:01 pm
I'm using Griffs Station Bundle. [ ] I have noted however that my list of oxp's installed seems never ending and so have done some housekeeping...
I've not had any problems saving at rock hermits (Griff's here too), but I've not played for a couple of months. And OXP-wise, housekeeping is good.
Prester John
Competent
Competent

Post by Prester John »

phkb wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:30 am
Welcome home, Commander!

The Home System OXP adds some flavour text to a variety of messages received by the player in systems designated as their home. You'll be greeted by the main station when you request docking clearance, passing police ships might say Hi, that sort of thing.

As well, there are some other benefits achievable the more players visit their home system. So, the more you visit your home system, the better the benefits become. See this [EliteWiki] wiki page for details.

For the moment, you can download this OXZ here: HomeSystem.oxz.
Now available in the download manager.

Thanks to UK_Eliter for his code analysis and adding his ideas into the mix to make the pack better.
Thanks to Diziet Sma for getting the team together.
With special thanks to Cody for the original idea. You rock, El Viejo!

Comments, suggestions and bug reports welcome. I'll add this to the manager next week should everything look stable.
Does not work with Oolite 1.84 ... :(
phkb

Post by phkb »

Prester John wrote:
Does not work with Oolite 1.84 ...
That is true, which it does say on the box!

However, why are you still using 1.84? 1.86 has been out for a while, and has a whole pile of bug fixes and improvements - it's worth the download. No, really, it is! Edit to add: I see you answered this question in the Dark Rainbow thread. However, I didn't think the system demands of 1.86 were that much greater than 1.84. Was it the planet textures that were the problem?

If I get a chance I'll have a look at why I limited the version to 1.86 - probably some events that were only added in that version - and see if there's a way I can make it 1.84 compatible. No promises, though!
Prester John
Competent
Competent

Post by Prester John »

Well, to be honest : yes, the high textures were a problem for my PC, until I decided to uninstall/delete them. Sometimes, it was like my PC was having a 'texture overdose'.
I had also to get rid of a bunch of *.OXZ and *.OXP that were making an other lagging problem and Oolite was back to 'normal'.
Now, the real problem I have is : with the Wormhole.
I don't know if it is because of other *.OXZ/*.OXP files I have installed, but it's a [pain in my ass] when I *H*yperspace from a system to an other.
The game freezes for about one minute and I have to wait until the Wormhole is forming on the screen. Often, I have to try (and succeed to) shut down Oolite and re-boot my PC.
My guess is : my graphic card is just 'limit', so to speak.

Having Oolite 1.86 is not an issue for me.
It's just my PC, see?
Voilà. :( :?