Tionisla Orbital Graveyard 2.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Tionisla Orbital Graveyard 2.0

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:07 am
Why can't Phineas or Benedict be right for once?
It was more of an administration oversight. The planning committee, which put forward the original development proposal, did include a request for the station to "ensure it was suitably marked in accordance with local regulations, but also to provide a simple navigational heading for mourners, sightseers, researchers and any other requisite craft that might need to travel to the site."

Unfortunately, the construction company tasked with building and deploying the station simply read this instruction as "make the station big enough to be seen from Oresrati". They also were trying to cut corners on the not-insignificant sum involved in building and launching a station of that size, and the beacon was one of the first things to go. (Along with toilet paper. Visitors are asked to remember to bring your own.)

Since that time, the administrators at both the graveyard orbital, as well as the main station, have received regular complaints that the graveyard station is not quite as big as the construction company boasted it would be, and without said beacon it can be hard to find without local knowledge and/or a long-range telescope. Politicians from Tionisla have occasionally tried to force the situation to be rectified, but there has always been push-back from GalCop to allow a space navigational issue to be turned into a political stoush. Instead, they have repeated stated that they are looking to the situation and will install a beacon if deemed necessary.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Personally, I suspect the Graveyard orbital already has a beacon installed. It's just that the station master is too lazy to turn it on. I'll have a little word in his ear, and see if I can "persuade" him. :D
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:21 am
Personally, I suspect the Graveyard orbital already has a beacon installed. It's just that the station master is too lazy to turn it on
The more I think about it, the more that I realise it's probably something totally different.

Is it not a conglomeration of

1) the sacramental taboos of the Church of the Witchspace Lobster who decry unnatural interference with the radiatory propensities of the cosmic depths
2) the excessive humility of the devotees of the Church of Giles the Creator - even in death. Don't they have some sort of religious instruction about the superiority of the soul and the irrelevance of the body, the need to disdain death and a corresponding taboo about the glorification of the corpse?

There must be a fair number of the adherents of both sects immured (enspaced?) at Tionisla. Less fervent ones, admittedly, in the case of CGC, but even the less fervent ones will have living relatives/descendants who are more devout, and capable of pressurising the relevant Tionislan Orbital authorities and Stationmasters as regards the relevant legislation.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

After months of legal wrangling and political infighting, and a significant amount of bribes, the beacon has finally been enabled on the Graveyard station. :D

Version 2.5 is now available via the download manager.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:27 pm
After months of legal wrangling and political infighting, and a significant amount of bribes, the beacon has finally been enabled on the Graveyard station. :D

Version 2.5 is now available via the download manager.
Alas, I came across a post saying that Selezen had been against the idea of putting a beacon on the station. If I find it again, I'll put it up here.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:58 pm
Alas, I came across a post saying that Selezen had been against the idea of putting a beacon on the station.
Oh! Er... maybe I should make it an option switchable by the Library OXP?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

I also downloaded Graveyard 1.1 because I hadnt found the graveyard yet, the ruinous power 0 7 placed it near Lave where I was finally getting my first look.
A truly impressive place...

Here the original Lancet to be found in the earlier releases
phkb

Post by phkb »

cbr wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:38 pm
because I hadnt found the graveyard yet
cbr, I’m concerned the version 2 graveyard is still not showing up on your system, even with the beacon enabled. Can I get you to try a couple of things?
1. Start a new game using the easy start option, which starts you in Tionisla. From the debug console enter

Code: Select all

S.stations
and see if the graveyard station is in the list.
2. Remove all OXP’s except the TOGY ones, then redo point 1. Any change?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

1. Start a new game using the easy start option, which starts you in Tionisla. From the debug console enter
Tried this without oxps
This was handy, I found it on the way back from the sun ( how could I've missed it :? )

Tried again with oxps
The lovely nebula, sun and resize oxp made for the graveyard to be not more than a random tiny speckle of spacedust from afar,
so the eyecandy was hiding the graveyard, I presume.
S.stations
With and without oxp, read the graveyard station at aprox. Tionisla Orbital Graveyard" position: (129293, 22545.7, 439248)

phkb

Post by phkb »

I've just re-released the TOGY Memorials OXP, which now includes memorials for both Ironfist and Svengali. Download via the manager.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:31 am
I've just re-released the TOGY Memorials OXP, which now includes memorials for both Ironfist and Svengali. Download via the manager.
Thank you for doing this. Important.
Comments wanted:
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

applied spec gloss ( shader multiplier settings 1.25 1.25 )
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

cbr wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:59 pm

applied spec gloss ( shader multiplier settings 1.25 1.25 )
While it really looks great it is rotating a bit too fast for me to read.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Steve Jobs Memorial by Eric Walch

I only just came across this:
Eric Walch wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:52 pm
Commander McLane wrote:
The TOGY OXP doesn't necessarily need to be updated all the time, by the way. Personal memorials can also be added as add-on OXPs, similar to the different YAH-sets.
I already made a separate memoriam oxp when Steve Jobs died. I put the link in a forum message back than, but it was never added to the wiki. It is probably a good idea to include it in this oxp so you only need to update the memorial oxp.

When updating the TOGY oxp I already made the change in a way that it is easy to add separate oxps with memorial items. It only needs a more general name than.

For the Steve Jobs memorial I just used the default gravestones and default textures. On this I added the logo with an illumination map to only give a subtle change to the gravestone.
I suspect that it is not in the new TOGY Memorial (reading through this: https://ooliteproject.github.io/oolite- ... rials.html)

With the various different views expressed about SJ on this board, I suspect that just adding in automatically is not a good idea.
Comments wanted:
phkb

Post by phkb »

It looks like this OXP adds a "headstone" grave marker, and then adds an Apple log via an illumination map. That's certainly one way to do it. I have already included Mr Jobs as one of the discoverable grave marker interactions, using BCC, although you would have to search pretty hard to find him I suspect.