Crew requirements for ships

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Crew requirements for ships

Post by Wolfwood »

There are some ships in Elite that require more than 1 crew, and even Cobra Mk3 has a spot for a co-pilot (considering the sleep requirements of most species, co-pilots are pretty necessary).

Thus, it would be great, in my opinion, to have bigger ships require more crew. This would naturally result in the player having to pay wages to the extra crew members, but the crew requirement might also affect the performance of the craft (too few crew members would somehow cripple the ship's performance).

Later on, these crew members might perhaps be used to man turret weapons, repair onboard systems etc., but that's for the future...
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Like the crew manning the turrents idea. I remember buying turret ships in FFE, but the turrets were useless as the player had to control them. Computer controlled crew maning the player's turrets would be great. But the NCPs would have to get turrett gunners too.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

The turrets being controlled by crew members is a brilliant idea
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Some antiquated pythons still use slavelabour to shift the cargo...
Riding the Rocket!
Phrostbyte
Competent
Competent

Post by Phrostbyte »

Like mine....
"The world Arexe is fabled for its exciting sit coms and its inhabitants' ancient loathing of sit coms."