Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[WIP] New Dockable Models

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: [WIP] New Dockable Models

Post by Cholmondely »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:49 pm
Thanks! How is the wonderful world of music? ... And how was the dreaded plague in your neck of the woods?
Hey, thanks for asking! I'm still working with music, I'm currently doing a PhD in composition (which is partially why I've been away from a lot of my open-source pet projects). Things are doing fine over here, just having a hectic time with work. I work mostly from home these days so thankfully the pandemic has affected very little of my day-to-day. I hope all is well with you too!
[/quote]

What's the title of your thesis? And why music? ... what's the appeal over any of the other things you could have done?

I'm out in the depths of the countryside, and thus have been spared the worst of the ghastliness...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] New Dockable Models

Post by gsagostinho »

Hi, my thesis is called 'The Design of Note-based Algorithmic Systems Through the Use of Mental Models'. Basically, I work with algorithmic systems that I code myself and which produce music scores, and my dissertation investigates how we approach and conceptualise these types of systems when coding them. As for the why, that's a tricky one :D I'm very passionate about my field and I've been doing this for many, many years, and I find the area of algorithmic music very interesting. Sometimes it feels like you are discovering music rather than imposing it, if that makes sense.
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:06 pm
I'm out in the depths of the countryside, and thus have been spared the worst of the ghastliness...
That's good to know, I'm happy for you. In terms of how each of us got affected, it's been a lottery, right? I live in a massive city and over here people's experience of lockdown were deeply connected with the quality of their housing. It's definitely not easy to stay indoors 24/7 if you live in a tiny noisy apartment by the rail. Thankfully I'm doing all right at the moment, having a quiet space to do my research.

All right, you guys take care!