[Release] Dangerous HUD

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Dangerous HUD

Post by gsagostinho »

another_commander wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:56 pm
Getting many of those with the latest version:

Code: Select all

21:54:04.753 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (DangerousHUD 1.3): TypeError: player.shiplayer is undefined
21:54:04.753 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       ../AddOns/gsagostinho.DangerousHUD.OrangeVariant.oxp/Config/script.js, line 114.
Thanks, already fixed and uploaded a fixed version.
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

Important note: I have update all my OXPs to the in-game extension download manager, so I am removing the links from all my posts. Please use the manager and report here any issues. There you will find all four colour variants as well as the keyconfig OXP.
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

This HuD looks absolutely amazing!

I'm running Oolite 1.82 on Linux Mint 18.1. The Dangerous HuD OXZ is greyed out in the in-game expansion manager. Any way of getting hold of this HuD for stable Oolite (either 1.82 or 1.84)?

Many thanks and congratulations on a great HuD!
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

lfnfan wrote:
This HuD looks absolutely amazing!

I'm running Oolite 1.82 on Linux Mint 18.1. The Dangerous HuD OXZ is greyed out in the in-game expansion manager. Any way of getting hold of this HuD for stable Oolite (either 1.82 or 1.84)?

Many thanks and congratulations on a great HuD!
Thank you so much, lfnfan, I am glad you like it :D

About using it with an older Oolite version, this HUD uses some features available only for Oolite version 1.85 (the in-development version). If you want to try it on 1.84 or lower, do the following (but notice that some features might not work well/at all):

* first download the OXZ file from one these links (each for one of the colour variants): orange, green, blue, pink.
* rename the .oxz extension into .zip extension and extract the contents into a folder.
* rename the foldder as Gsagostinho.DangerousHUD.oxp (or anything really, as long as the folder ends with ".oxp")
* copy this folder into ~/.Oolite/Addons (since you are on Linux as well)
* edit the manifest.plist file and change the required version from 1.85 to whatever suits you.
* hold down the SHIFT key on your keyboard and start the game. Only release this key once you see the spinning Cobra in the main menu.

Please report here if you have any troubles, ok?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

This OXP is tagged in its manifest as 1.85-only. There is a way to get it to run in 1.84/1.82, but it is extremely hackish and involves editing of files that you would normally not want to mess with. Plus, the HUD in 1.84/1.82 does not work as intended, as it uses features present only in the latest dev version (which, by the way, is much, much more stable than 1.84 and - to an even greater extend - 1.82). So my suggestion would be to download current nightly for Linux and install it alongside your 1.82 version, then install that HUD there and see how you like the overall look of the new version too.

If you still want to go with the not-so-stable and unsuppoted 1.82, this is what you must do. Not sure of the exact paths for the files mentioned below on Linux, so I'll just name them without giving any full paths and other Linux users may be able to pinpoint exact locations. Using the blue variant as example.
1. Download the latest OXP list from the Expansion Pack Manager, then exit the game.
2. Find the file named Oolite-manifests.plist in the Caches folder.
3. Find the entry for the Dangerous HUD inside that file by opening it in a text editor..
4. Change the key that reads required_oolite_version = 1.85; to required_oolite_version = 1.82;
5. Launch the game, go to Expansion Packs Manager and now the Dangerous HUD OXP will be downloadable.
6. Download the OXP, select it and press "x". This will extract its contents to the standard AddOns folder, under the filename gsagostinho.DangerousHUD.BlueVariant-1.3.off.
7. Remove the OXZ format using the Remove OXP function of the Manager.
8. Rename gsagostinho.DangerousHUD.BlueVariant-1.3.off to gsagostinho.DangerousHUD.BlueVariant-1.3.oxp.
9. Inside the gsagostinho.DangerousHUD.BlueVariant-1.3.oxp folder, find the manifest.plist file and open it in an editor.
10. Repeat the action mentined at step 4 (bring the required Oolite version down to 1.82).
11. Launch game, you should now have the HUD available. But be aware that its functionality with this version is limited, although I think the game would still be playable.

Hope this helps.
Edit: Ninja'd of course :=)
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

Thanks gsagostinho and a_c.

Hacking 1.82, 84 looks more tricky than installing 1.85 (even with the step-by-step)! I will venture into the world of nightly builds.
8) :D
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

@another_commander thank you so much for the proper instructions, I just wrote that from the top of my head on how I would attempt it.
@lfnfan if you want to try 1.85, it's actually quite easy to install it on Linux Mint 18. Download the most current Linux nightly from here, extract and run the installer and that's it!
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

Nice. Even I can manage that! :lol:
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

Note that the 1.85 version can co-exist with your stable one, and you will probably have two entries in your applications menu: "Oolite" for the 1.82 or 1.84 and "Oolite-Trunk" for 1.85.
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

1.85 Trunk running nicely, and very much enjoying Dangerous HuD.
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

@lfnfan Great to hear that! :D
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

Hi all, I have just uploaded version 1.4 to the extension manager. It includes a new "hauler mode", which is a different cockpit than the default one. As the name suggest, this is more suited to hauler ships. Activate it by priming the Dangerous HUD first and cycling between default, hauler and glass-only modes. Screenie:

Changelog for version 1.4:

- merging improvements made by phkb on his Xenon HUD (version 1.5.4).
- added hauler cockpit mode.
- flipped glass on side and aft (cockpit) views so that the glass dirt doesn't match when switching views.
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

Nice HUD, now my default. A couple of observations:

- HUDselector integration is incomplete. When used to access your HUD, I was missing crosshairs & clock. I fixed that by entering

worldScripts.DangerousHUD.shipWillLaunchFromStation()
into debug console. You need more than shipExitedWitchspace() in $HUDSelectorCallBack(), as I wasn't being awarded the equipment.
Another benefit for you accessing via HUDselector is you'll see your HUD is not nearly the slowest :) I gained ~10 fps in switching.

- having your oxz in ManagedAddOns folder changes the highlight text colour in pre-game menus from red to blue! (I'm using your blue variant)

I think it looks better w/ the XenonUI I'm using, but enquiring minds want to know, how'd you do it?
"Better to be thought a fool, boy, than to open your trap and remove all doubt." - Grandma [over time, just "Shut your trap... fool"]
"The only stupid questions are the ones you fail to ask." - Dad
How do I...? Nevermind.
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

Hi cag,
cag wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:00 pm
Nice HUD, now my default.
Happy to hear that, many thanks 8)
A couple of observations:

- HUDselector integration is incomplete. When used to access your HUD, I was missing crosshairs & clock. I fixed that by entering

into debug console. You need more than shipExitedWitchspace() in $HUDSelectorCallBack(), as I wasn't being awarded the equipment.
Another benefit for you accessing via HUDselector is you'll see your HUD is not nearly the slowest :) I gained ~10 fps in switching.
I will take a look at this. I noticed that the crosshair is sometimes missing on my slower computer, but I assumed it wasn't powerful enough to run the script in time. I will investigate what you wrote, many, many thanks!!
- having your oxz in ManagedAddOns folder changes the highlight text colour in pre-game menus from red to blue! (I'm using your blue variant)

I think it looks better w/ the XenonUI I'm using, but enquiring minds want to know, how'd you do it?
Well, that's a feature, not a bug :D I intentionally override the text colour in the menus as to create a kind of theme, and the currently highlighted text is always the inverted color (black text, theme colour as highlight). Some text cannot be overwritten (in yoru screenshot, the Return to Menu is an example). If you don't like what this HUD does to the GUI, simply remove the gui-settings.plist file from the Config subfolder inside the oxz file.
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

cag wrote:

cag, would you be able to help me with this? What concrete changes do I need to do to the script.js file? The function $HUDSelectorCallBack() does contain more than shipExitedWitchspace(), it has for instance shipWillLaunchFromStation(). I am a bit lost on what you did change.