OXP Performance tips

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

cag
Deadly
Deadly

Re: OXP Performance tips

Post by cag »

The new version of Telescope is about 35% faster than 1.13 (14% faster than 1.15) and garbage production was decreased by over 70% vs 1.15 (1.13 & 1.15 have similar rates). Here are some of the techniques I used to improve performance:

Take out the garbage
We've talked recently in this thread about reducing garbage by reusing objects & arrays and performing some vector functions locally. That got me much of the 70%. I also got rid of most calls that return arrays. For example, I was using splice to remove an item from a list. Splice returns an array of what was deleted, which I didn't need.

Code: Select all

//mapping.splice( found, 1 );
    for( var i = found, len = mapping.length; i < len - 1; i++ ) {
        mapping[ i ] = mapping[ i + 1 ];
    }
    mapping.length = --maplen;
This is a wee bit slower, 1 microsec (0.001 ms), which I think is a fair trade off for less garbage.

Replace unnecessary function calls
A number of Math functions are convenient during development but can be replaced with inline expressons:

Math.abs( x ):      x >= 0 ? x : -x
    Math.max( x, y ):   x > y ? x : y
    Math.min( x, y ):   x < y ? x : y
    Math.floor( x ):    ~~ x
    Math.round( x ):    ~~( x + 0.5 )
    Math.ceil( x ):     ~~( x + 1 )
[~ is the bitwise not, so x gets converted to an integer w/ all its bits flipped,
 the 2nd ~ flips them back, leaving x without its fractional part]
We usually never want to have duplicate code (maintenance, readability, duplicate bugs) but exceptions can be made where speed is essential. Telescope has a function for calculating distance which gets called in 14 places. But the loop that repositions effects has some common vector calculations, so moving some of the distance code inline eliminated duplicated work. Just be sure to document it well in both functions.

Prioritize compound conditions
As many of you know, JS will abort execution of conditional expressions in some situations:

if( a && b && c ) ...   // If a is false, neither b or c will be evaluated, and
    if( x || y || z ) ...   // if x is true, neither y or z will be evaluated
                            // To do so would be pointless, as they wouldn't change the final value.
We can use this to enhance speed by putting the faster ones first.

var ws = worldScripts.someOxp;
    var allowed = someFunction();
    var ps = player.ship;
    if( allowed && ps.docked && ps.bounty === 0 && ps.mass < 130000 && ws.$isSpecial )
This is the most efficient ordering, all things being equal, as 'allowed' is local, 'docked' is a property of PlayerShip, 'bounty' is a property of ship, 'mass' is a property of entity and 'isSpecial' is a worldScripts property. We may re-order them if we know one is almost always true (shift right for &&, left for ||) or almost always false (shift left for &&, right for ||). The goal is get it to abort quickly when it does abort.

If the 'allowed' variable is only used to determine entrance into the if block, move it into the expression so it's only executed when absolutely necessary.

if( ps.docked && ps.bounty === 0 && ps.mass < 130000 && someFunction() && ws.$isSpecial )
[whether to place it before or after the worldScripts property is determined by profiling to see which takes longer]

Profiling shows that WorldScriptsGetProperty is about 18 times slower that EntityGetProperty. Such comparisons are relative, as WorldScriptsGetProperty varies with the number of oxp's you load, and MissionVariablesGetProperty (about 3 times slower) varies with the size of your save file.

A rare example came up recently involving the && of two .indexOf calls, where one list was always much shorter than the other. Putting the short one first saves time.

Spread the load over several frames
Some jobs require repeats faster than a Timer (is interval still a min. 0.25 sec?) but take longer than we'd like for a frame callback. I use a scheme that allows a job to be spread over several frames. For example, updating the MFD entails selection, distance & heading calculations and formatting. I've been shooting for 2 ms operations and updating an MFD list of 10 ships takes triple that. The user will never notice a delay of a couple frames (no so for visual effects, that will be noticed), so I process a few ships and suspend this until the next frame. To do this, I maintain an array of pending functions and at the end of my frame callback, if any are present, I do one. Thus the MFD text is prepared over 3 frames.

Strictly speaking, this example doesn't save any time, it just levels out the load (MFD is updated 1/sec, so whether I do it all at once or across frames, the same work is done). I also use this for creating a new scan or updating an existing one. Time is saved though when pending function calls get purged. A new scan purges everything pending, as there's no point updating the MFD, for example, when a new list is being created.

Significant time is saved when you spread high frequency jobs across frames. For updating the position of visual effects, rather than update them all in one frame, I can do half in one frame, the rest in the next frame, with no noticeable difference. This effectively cuts the time for updating effect positons in half.

Vary Effects updates by distance
Visual effects are tricky, as the human eye can detect oddities even at 60 Hz. It may not be clear what's up; it just looks wrong. Telescope deals with objects both near and far. The near ones, within 2 * scannerRange, get updated every frame. But those outside that limit can be updated less frequently, like every other frame. And those beyond 4 * scannerRange get updated every 4th frame. This is only done when flying at normal speeds. With the torus drive, everything gets done each frame, as at those speeds, it does become noticeable.

Cache, Cache, Cache
Whenever you've performed an expensive op, you never want to repeat it if you can avoid it. Say you support a number of other oxp's planetary naming conventions. Once you figure out what that planet's name is, save it until you leave the system. I know this is obvious but there are often cases that you can miss (I know I can & do!). When your profiling points to a problem function, always check if there is something that doens't need doing on every call.

Just recently, I ran into this. I thought my MFD formatting was quick enough until a added a name shortening feature (to avoid really squished text when using randomshipnames). Suddenly, that function rose to the top of the list of speed hogs. But, like the planet, a ship's name doesn't change and a cache solved the problem:

var lastShipReports = {};               // cleared when entering witchspace
    function ShowShipReport( map ) {
        var name = '', cached = false;
            key = ent.entityPersonality;    // orbs don't have one, so are not cached (PlanetName has its own cache)
        if( key && lastShipReports.hasOwnProperty( key ) ) {
            name = lastShipReports[ key ];
            cached = true;
        }
        if( !cached ) lastShipReports[ key ] = name;
    }
Frame Rate customization
Telescope has a lot going on and its performance varies considerably from machine to machine. One way to combat this is to monitor its frame rate and adjust accordingly; sometimes even that's not enough, so you'll have to reduce functionality.

I wrote an oxp a while back to monitor frame rate (fps_monitor, clever title, no?) that collects lots of data but that may be overkill. If you have a frame callback, just sum the delta values it gets passed and increment a counter on each call. When the total delta summed hits 1, you counter has the # of frames in the last second. What my utility adds is average fps for set intervals, high and low values, different methods of calculating what the 'average' is.

I regularly zip through my list of sightings, checking their status to see if they need deleting. I've scaled this to be a function of the player's PC. The function has 2 modes, quickly vs full check.

if( parm === true ) {
            quickly = that.quickly = true;
            fps = that.fps = current_fps();                         // quickly is fast, so check fps ships/frame
            if( fps < 0 ) fps = that.fps = 30;                      // current_fps returns -1 until 1st min. has passed
            starting = i = maplen;
        } else if( parm === false || parm === undefined ) {
            quickly = that.quickly = false;
            fps = current_fps();
            if( fps < 0 ) fps = 30;                                 // current_fps returns -1 until 1st min. has passed
            fps = that.fps = ~~(fps / 5);                           // store as fn prop for next frames' execution
            starting = i = maplen;
        } else {                                                    // parm is an index # to resume
            quickly = that.quickly || true;
            fps = that.fps || 6;
            starting = maplen;
            i = parm;
        }
        while( ...
            if( i > 0 && i % fps === 0 ) {                          // checking list can take more time than we'd like in a frame
                set_fn_pending( check_Sightings, i );               //   so suspend the work until next frame
                return;                                             // so we do a chunk each frame, its size a fn of fps
            }
I let the PC's frame rate dictate how many ships to check each frame, dividing by 5 for a full check as it takes much longer.

When creating a new list (the telescope 'scan'), I have to sort through all ships in the system, which is uaually over 150. Done all at once will cause the frame rate to crater, so I use the PC's frame rate to split the job across frames and monitor the effect. If the impact is too high, I increase the number of frames in the spread.

Telescope has a variable, MaxTargets, limiting the size of the list of sightings. Players may specify a value but if their hardware cannot handle it, it gets reduced. The adjustment is not always down, as a temporary dip in the frame rate would cause it's adjustment to be too low. Using a long term average (5 min) as a baseline, I compare the relative effect on frame rate and increase/decrease accordingly (see function init_growing if you're intrigued).

I also use frame rate to estimate the distance travelled in one frame, to accurately position effects when travelling at high speed. This can only ever be an estimate, as the frame rate can fluctuate a lot from one frame to the next, so I error on the side of caution.

Ensure gets are not repeated
[spoiler: involves closures]

Long or complex scripts must be broken into smaller functions, if for no other reason than our sanity. Function calls themselves are not very expensive (about 1.2 microsec) and smaller code chunks are easier to deal with logically, test in isolation and be understood by others. The problem with many smaller functions goes back to property gets. Not all can be cached, only the constant ones. Function references are fine as they never change, as are some objects, especially if they're in your control. But many object references cannot be cached, so each function must perform their own lookup. Writing one humungous function to realize the saving of only doing a lookup once is not my prefered solution. Another way is using a closure.

A closure in JS is simply a function that returns a reference to an inner function. This special feature of JS is to support independent features on a web page. Imagine a field that takes user input. It has to remember that input for when the user returns to that field. A closure is not required to do this but it makes it a lot easier. Without one, the value would have to be stored somewhere external to the function, as a normal function's variables get tossed when the function exits. By returning a reference to an internal function, JS must preserve its variables for when that referenced function is called. Think of it like a 'Do Not Disturb' sign on a hotel room door; the JS maid stays out and leaves everything as it is.

Closures have gotten a bad rep for causing memory leaks, among other things. This was due to programmer error, often generating these references in loops or creating many copies of the closure.

For our purposes, we only need a single instance of the closure. This can be done either by calling it at start up or have it self-initiate, so it's created when the script loads. Once created, we can cache distant lookups in local variables, so they are available to all. And we hardly ever need to type the word 'this' again :)

this.startUpComplete = function() {         // closure is created here, as the towbar script may not exist when we exit startUp
                                            // could be done in startUp if closure does not reference other oxp's
    if( !this._towedMass ) {
        let mc = this._myClosure();         // create closure by calling it
        this._setTowed = mc.setTowed;       // cache function references in script variables
        this._clearTowed = mc.clearTowed;
        this._towedMass = mc.towedMass;
        // to get the mass of the towed ship, use this._towedMass( ship )
    }
}
this._myClosure = function() {
    var wt = worldScripts.towbar;   // caches reference to towbar script
    var towed = null;               // reference to ship in question
    var mass = 0;                   // persistent local variable
    // private function that's only available inside _myClosure
    function isTowed( ship ) {      
        if( towing === null ) 
            setTowed();
        return ship === towed;
    }
    // public functions because they are returned
    function setTowed() {           
        var newShip = wt && wt.$TowbarShip;
        if( newShip && newShip !== towed ) {
            towed = newShip;
            mass = towed.mass;          // property get only when ship changes
        }
    }
    function clearTowed() {
        towed = null;
        mass = 0; 
    }
    function towedMass( ship ) {
        if( !ship ) return 0;
        if( !isTowed( ship ) ) return 0;
        return mass;
    }
    return { setTowed : setTowed,
             clearTowed: clearTowed,
             towedMass: towedMass
           };
}
The lookup of the towbar script is done once, when closure is created. The lookup of $TowbarShip is limited to calls to setTowed and the mass property get is only done when the towed ship changes. 'towedMass' can be called repeatedly without repeating a property get.

This is a trivial example but in telescope, with 100+ functions and 70+ variables, the savings can really add up. The scheme I used involves setting all the local global variables (glocals?) to -1 when I start processing a new sighting. When a function needs a property:

if( mass < 0 ) mass = ship.mass;
    switch( mass ) {
It's longer code but fast. You can do hundreds of '< 0' tests before you come close to the expense of the property get. Another perk of this scheme is you don't need to keep track of when & where a property was gotten. Assume it wasn't, add the test and you're free to concentrate on your oxp!

FYI, fps_monitor is a self-initiating closure and I wrote Station Options as a closure too, so they are much shorter examples to check out.
(800 lines for fps_monitor vs 2300 for Station Options vs 5500 for Telescope)
"Better to be thought a fool, boy, than to open your trap and remove all doubt." - Grandma [over time, just "Shut your trap... fool"]
"The only stupid questions are the ones you fail to ask." - Dad
How do I...? Nevermind.
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

Finding in some scripts construction as

this.self = player.ship;
I have question (a bit stupid maybe)
Has this construction any advantage in time efficiency?
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

By itself, there's no real difference (~40 nanosec). It stores a 1 hop property reference in another 1 hop reference. If you're going to reference the player's ship more than once in a function, use

var ps = player.ship;

so you save one hop everytime you use it (ps.target, ps.speed, etc.)

The savings really come about when saving a many hop lookup locally, esp. in loops in frame callbacks, where fractions of ms count.

Compare 2 (admittedly extreme) versions of a function that answers "Is my target a member of my group?"

this.$targetInMyGroup = function() {
	for( let i = 0; i < player.ship.group.ships.length; i++ ) {
		if( player.ship.target === player.ship.group.ships[ i ] )
			return true;
	}
	return false;
}

this.$fastTargetInMyGroup = function() {
	var ps = player.ship;
	var pst = ps.target;
	var groupShips = ps.group.ships;

for( let i = 0, len = groupShips.length; i < len; i++ ) {
		if( pst === groupShips[ i ] )
			return true;
	}
	return false;
}
and their profiles of being run 60 times, to simulate a PC running the game at 60 frames per sec

[log] $targetInMyGroup:
Total time: 7.849 ms
JavaScript: 2.483 ms, native: 5.357 ms
Counted towards limit: 5.97458 ms, excluded: 1.87442 ms
Profiler overhead: 2.138 ms
                                                        NAME  T  COUNT    TOTAL     SELF  TOTAL%   SELF%  SELFMAX
                                        ShipGroupGetProperty  N    420     3.96     2.60    50.5    33.1     0.16
                           (<console input>) targetInMyGroup  J     60     7.52     2.17    95.9    27.6     0.33
                                             ShipGetProperty  N    600     1.40     1.12    17.8    14.3     0.10
                                           JSNewNSArrayValue  N    420     1.21     0.65    15.4     8.3     0.06
                                          JSArrayFromNSArray  N    420     0.55     0.55     7.1     7.1     0.19
                     (<console input>) do_60_targetInMyGroup  J      1     7.84     0.32    99.9     4.0     0.32
                                         JSShipGetShipEntity  N    600     0.27     0.27     3.5     3.5     0.01
                                     JSShipGroupGetShipGroup  N    420     0.15     0.15     2.0     2.0     0.01
[log] $fastTargetInMyGroup:
Total time: 1.805 ms
JavaScript: 0.972 ms, native: 0.826 ms
Counted towards limit: 1.47693 ms, excluded: 0.32807 ms
Profiler overhead: 0.572 ms
                                                        NAME  T  COUNT    TOTAL     SELF  TOTAL%   SELF%  SELFMAX
                       (<console input>) fastTargetInMyGroup  J     60     1.49     0.67    82.7    37.0     0.22
                                        ShipGroupGetProperty  N     60     0.52     0.36    29.0    19.9     0.01
                 (<console input>) do_60_fastTargetInMyGroup  J      1     1.80     0.31    99.6    16.9     0.31
                                             ShipGetProperty  N    120     0.30     0.25    16.7    14.1     0.04
                                           JSNewNSArrayValue  N     60     0.14     0.08     7.9     4.7     0.00
                                          JSArrayFromNSArray  N     60     0.06     0.06     3.2     3.2     0.01
                                         JSShipGetShipEntity  N    120     0.05     0.05     2.7     2.7     0.00
                                     JSShipGroupGetShipGroup  N     60     0.02     0.02     1.2     1.2     0.00

The first has lots of unnecessary property gets. Compare their Total time: 7.849/1.805 = 4.35 times faster. At 60 fps, there is 16.67 ms between each frame. Using $targetInMyGroup, the rate drops to 40.8 fps but with $fastTargetInMyGroup, it only drops to 54.1.

Before everyone jumps on my case, I did say it's an extreme example. This check really belongs in a timer, not a frame callback. And of course, everyone caches their loop's length, right? :wink:

In a 0.25 sec timer, frame rate drops to 58.12 & 59.57 respectively. But add that up over all the timers & all the frame callbacks in all the oxp's you've loaded ... :shock: cache everything worthwhile! Besides, it make your code easier to read.
"Better to be thought a fool, boy, than to open your trap and remove all doubt." - Grandma [over time, just "Shut your trap... fool"]
How do I...? Nevermind.
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

Thank you for such detailed answer, cag!
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

Day wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:24 pm
The tip I gave phkb, and I realized then that although it is implicit in what was already exposed, it is not obvious:

this.$rand = function(max) {
	return Math.floor((Math.random() * max) + 1);
}
To:

this.$rand = function $rand(max) {
	var that = $rand;
	var floor = (that.floor = that.floor || Math.floor);
	var random = (that.random = that.random || Math.random);
	return floor((random() * max) + 1);
}
This way, rather than using 2 accesses outside the function (and quite far away, in a library), after the first time, you only use 2 accesses to an immediate property of the function.
Seems it was enough to make a big difference in phkb code.

I always do this, each time I access an external library or script.
Day wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:15 am
cag wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:24 pm
So you're basically storing a (far) reference as a function's property. Would it be safe to say, for clarity, that

var floor = (that.floor = that.floor || Math.floor);
is logically equivalent to

if( that.floor === undefined ) that.floor = Math.floor;
var floor = that.floor;
Exactly!
This technique works well for objects/arrays too (functions are just a type of object).
And while it *can* be used for simple variables, you'd be well advised to use the following if said variable can ever be falsey (null, 0, undefined in addition to false)

var myVar = that.myVar = that.myVar === undefined ? -1 : that.myVar;
When using the || version, if the myVar property ever becomes falsey, it will get re-initialized on the next call, not just on the 1st time it's ever called.

It's a handy way to remember values from one call to the next but if in doubt, use the second form.

When I think of the hours lost chasing bugs (yes, plural, I have a thick skull) from using the first ... I need a beer :cry:
How do I...? Nevermind.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

To make a very late reply to cag:

1) that seems involved (!)
2) shouldn't compilers take care of this sort of thing? Except, hold on, it's an interpreted language. But perhaps there is some sort of JIT (as I believe it is called) . .
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

UK_Eliter wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:51 pm
1) that seems involved (!)
Could you be more specific?
UK_Eliter wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:51 pm
2) shouldn't compilers take care of this sort of thing? Except, hold on, it's an interpreted language. But perhaps there is some sort of JIT (as I believe it is called) . .
Perhaps, maybe; I don't really know. We're not using the most up to date interpreter, that would be too much work for too little gain. (And may break older code).

I just go by the profiling numbers (it's such a great tool). Shaving a ms off a frame callback is worth it, IMHO. I usually play with a couple hundred oxp's (mostly eye candy) but if 1% 5% are using FCBs, those ms can add up fast.

I'd like to remind all the readers that much of this only applies to that small portion of code that's gobbling up resouces. Outside of FCBs (& some timers), forgeddabatit. Your time would be better elsewhere (anywhere else!)
How do I...? Nevermind.
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

I've updated the Resources-Scripts with some minor housekeeping. The link remains:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cudwuq8d56ep ... .zip?dl=0
The highest count before the log statement was removed:

ship died, __handler_reuse = 1261, __comms_reuse = 57
ship died, __handler_reuse = 1361, __comms_reuse = 10
ship died, __handler_reuse = 1798, __comms_reuse = 23
ship died, __handler_reuse = 2113, __comms_reuse = 39
These all happened at the same time!! A total of 6662 objects recycled. The game had been running about 50 minutes but I'd only been in that system for about 15 minutes. There must have been a great battle somewhere far from the station while I was waiting to dock. Pity there was no breaking news report on what just went down...
How do I...? Nevermind.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Commander McLane wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:09 am
Eric Walch wrote:
Asteroid storm keeps using unnecessary time after mission completion.
As does Lave.oxp, as does Diso.oxp, as does tgy.oxp, as does Tianve.oxp, as does monument.oxp, as does ringpod.oxp, as does eagle.oxp, as does longway.oxp, as does spyhunter.oxp, as does blackbaron.oxp, as does Taranis.oxp, as does Ionics.oxp, as does the native constrictor-script (at least in its legacy-form), to mention just those that are related to Galaxies 1 and 2 exclusively...

So I am just asking: Why bother so much about the quite short and lean asteroidstorm.oxp-script, when it really is next to nothing compared with the rest of the bunch?

Or do you want to create clones of all OXPs that add some ships together with a mission, so that the player has to switch the original with its clone after finishing the mission, in order to keep the extra ships (or changes to the Ooniverse) without the script running anymore? I just can't imagine a lot of people actually doing this.
Using Up Unnecessary Time

Can somebody please explain to me what this discussion is about?

I can understand mission OXPs needlessly checking for the fulfillment of requirements for the mission (has the player arrived at Tianve?) for example. But Lave.oxp, Diso.oxp, Togy & monument are not missions.

And what is the last paragraph saying?

And how does one get around this issue?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:18 am
Using Up Unnecessary Time
I met a man whose name was Time
And he said, "I must be going!"
But just how long ago that was
I have no way of knowing
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:18 am
Can somebody please explain to me what this discussion is about?
I missed this one, sorry.

Some OXPs (and mission ones are more prone to this), leave themselves in a "semi" active state, in which various world scripts are active even when the main purpose of the OXP is not. So, for instance, a mission might be triggered that requires the player to go to Lave. So, in the shipExitedWitchspace world event there is something like this:

this.shipExitedWitchspace = function () {
    if (missionVariables.MyMissionState == "ACTIVE" and galaxyNumber == 0 and system.ID == 7) {
        ... do something about the mission here...
    }
}
What then happens is that every time the player exits witchspace, that code will run. Every time. Even in other galaxies. Now, the IF statement will stop the rest of the code from running, but that's an unnecessary overhead that Oolite has to carry. If the mission is finished, the OXP should remove all world script events that are no longer required. And if the mission can only be performed in galaxy 1, then the world script event should be hidden so that Oolite doesn't have to keep running it.

Something like this:

this.startUp = function() {
    if (galaxyNumber != 0) {
        // keep a reference to the function so we can bring it back later
        this.shipExitedWitchspace_hold = this.shipExitedWitchspace;
        // get rid of the world event
        delete this.shipExitedWitchspace;
        // but now we need to monitor when the galaxy number changes
        this.playerEnteredNewGalaxy = this.playerEnteredNewGalaxy_hold;
    }
}
this.playerEnteredNewGalaxy_hold = function(galaxyNumber) {
    if (galaxyNumber == 0) {
        this.shipExitedWitchspace = this.shipExitedWitchspace_hold;
    }
}
This is a fairly trivial example, and honestly, given how trivial it is, there probably would be no point in adding this much complexity for so little benefit. But, as OXP's grow, they usually start building up a good suite of world event functions, all of which get called by Oolite whenever the event is triggered. The more events you have, the more overhead there is. Anyway, that's the gist of it. Only have the barest minimum of world events active that the OXP needs to function.

As for the second point, here's the scenario. Say you finish "Cataclysm", and you buy the reward ship at the end. As long as you're flying that ship, you can't remove Cataclysm from your OXP list, because that ship is tied to the pack. If you take out the pack, you can't load your game. What Commander McLane believes Eric Walsh was suggesting was creating a copy of each mission OXP that include player ships, and bundling them together in an OXP that *doesn't have* all the extra mission scripts. That way, you could keep your reward ship, but you would be safe to remove the original mission pack.

I think we now have better solutions available to us. Instead of cloning all the player ships in a mission pack into another OXP, any player flyable ships should be pulled out of the mission pack and put into a separate OXP which the mission pack requires. When you finish the mission, the mission pack can be removed and the ship pack can remain.

It's a bit trickier when it comes to system changes (ie. any stations, planets or moons added to systems as part of a mission). If the changes are worth keeping, then the method whereby unnecessary world event functions are deleted, leaving only the skeleton and scaffolding behind, is probably the best method. They could potentially be put into their own OXP, but it gets harder to track when they should be displayed if they're reliant on information from the mission pack.
phkb

Post by phkb »

cag wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:42 am

There's an edge case for this one. Do not use this method on an integer. I mean, theoretically, if you are planning to use Math.ceil in the first place, you wouldn't be working with an integer, but still.

Anyway:

var x = 1;
log(this.name, Math.ceil(x)); // will output "1"
log(this.name, ~~(x + 1)); // will output "2"
So, just be careful with those integers!
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:29 am
cag wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:42 am

There's an edge case for this one. Do not use this method on an integer. I mean, theoretically, if you are planning to use Math.ceil in the first place, you wouldn't be working with an integer, but still.

Anyway:

var x = 1;
log(this.name, Math.ceil(x)); // will output "1"
log(this.name, ~~(x + 1)); // will output "2"
So, just be careful with those integers!
This line looks really puzzling to me. What if you added another log line to print the content of x?

Afaik the -- operator evaluates after the result has been passed to the calling code.

x = 2;
print x--;
print x;

should therefore print first 2, decrease the variable and then print 1. But what do two tilde characters do, and how do they store the result in (x+1)?

JavaScript is a myth to me.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
phkb

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:52 am
-- operator
It's not the -- operator, it's the ~~ operator (double tilde).

cag explains it here:
~ is the bitwise not, so x gets converted to an integer w/ all its bits flipped, the 2nd ~ flips them back, leaving x without its fractional part
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:54 am
hiran wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:52 am
-- operator
It's not the -- operator, it's the ~~ operator (double tilde).

cag explains it here:
~ is the bitwise not, so x gets converted to an integer w/ all its bits flipped, the 2nd ~ flips them back, leaving x without its fractional part
D'oh!

Thanks for pointing out. Indeed misleading for me.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite