Custom Sounds.OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

confused.brit
Above Average
Above Average

Post by confused.brit »

This OXP appears broken in the current version, 1.72.2

I had it working on 1.65-6build1, but after upgrade, im back to the defaults.

Also effects the e5amigasounds.oxp, so it looks like the sounds handling is changed somehow.

Also, in 1.65-6build1, the default sounds were still being played underneath.

guess im off to hack the default sounds Very Happy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
ok, this is really really weird...

I just changed a bunch of the oggs to the ones from my tweak of the customsounds oxp, including replacing BlueDanube.ogg and OoliteTheme.ogg with different files with the exact same name, and im still getting BlueDanube when activating Docking Computer (Since this is the most obvious thing i've tried to change, and easiest to test)

The original Bluedanube is in my home folder archive, so I dont know where Oolite is getting the Bluedanube from now... o.0
Last edited by confused.brit on Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

confused.brit wrote:
The original Bluedanube is in my home folder archive, so I dont know where Oolite is getting the Bluedanube from now... o.0
IIRC someone mentioned that these sounds are played by the system, after a request from the game.

If so, maybe try to pack those original files and delete the unpacked version from your home directory. I could imagine that your system has your home directory in it's search path before the oolite folder, thus switching to the files you just tried to disable. If not, I'm afraid you have got to wait for some Linux player to help solve this mystery.

Screet
confused.brit
Above Average
Above Average

Post by confused.brit »

tar.gz ing those files now.

I also tried looking to see if i could find a second install of Oolite somewhere, but its not anywhere obvious... not in my Home folder, no second Oolite folder in in usr/libs/GNUstep/system .....

colour me a very very confused.brit.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

confused.brit wrote:
tar.gz ing those files now.
colour me a very very confused.brit.
Not only you...I just successfully did override the override of the HUD via oxps by placing another HUD oxp in and renaming it so that it's read after OSE (which also has a HUD override) is being read. That did work...and I doubt that you've also copied HUD files from oolite to your home directory and that it's then taken from there.

Screet
confused.brit
Above Average
Above Average

Post by confused.brit »

AHA! Yes, there is a second install.

Seems the new version ditched the GNUstep folder!
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

confused.brit wrote:

Finally a happy end ;)

Windows Vista can do similar things with it's virtual store...be happy that you are not using that system! It allows editing oolite files, but doesn't touch the originals, it creates copies in virtual store which override the oolite files...and once oolite is updated, the old files in virtual store do stay, but also override the next installation. Wonder how any OS builder can come up with such an idea...

Screet
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

Screet wrote:
confused.brit wrote:
Finally a happy end ;)
This kind of thing is why anything which I install here is installed from .debs: bits of old installs don't get left behind when files are moved around between versions.

I've seen reports of build failures which turn out to have been caused by left-behind library header files. You have this sort of breakage, you get to keep both pieces (though I'll happily tell you what those pieces actually are, if they're ones which I can identify, so that you can clean up).
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.