Custom Sounds.OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Flying_Circus
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Flying_Circus »

Another (fairly obvious, I suppose) question posed by this excellent mod, is this: can we add ship-sound files on a ship-by-ship basis, since that would be rather cool... Buy a new ship, and find find a whole new set of sounds greets you when you start flying it. Your new Ship's Computer addresses you in a County Wexford accent, for instance, and appends "so it is" to the end of each system message.

Code: Select all

Will bey jayzus, skipper! Da Fockin laser's on the fritz agin, so it is!
Or, of course, lowland Scotts:

Skipper, tha hull's taen a paikin', an the Whiskey barrel's teuk a hit. Dinnae scirt yer breeks, tho. Gien some duct tape and Twa oors we'll soort it

Dinnae mind tha': therrr's anti matter gas, awagates, and the waarp coore's aboot te bloow
And so I gave myself to God. There was a pregnant pause before He said "OK"
Draco_Caeles
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Draco_Caeles »

If we're on that sort of kick, why not...

The Energiser's bypassed like a Christmas tree so don't give me too many bumps...

I'm a spaceship, not a roller-coaster!

(On a witch-space failure) The more they over-think the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain...

(When Thargoids attack) Theeere's Thargoids on the starboard bow, starboard bow...

... *looks around, grins sheepishly and shuffles off*

Sorry. Far, far too much coffee today :lol:
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

Ive put up v1.1 of the customsounds, which has changed quite a few of the files. Ive tried to reduce the impact that each file has on each other, and changed the obvious mistakes, hope this is an improvement? I will endevour ot put a much larger oxp out in the next few days, but just wanted to put this basic version out first.
oncebytten
Above Average
Above Average

Post by oncebytten »

ver. 1.1 is definately more polished!

Very nice- I anticipate the next version!
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

There are two Zips in the new release. Do I need them both?

Also, you can just update your previous post at Oosat2 - no need to have more than post for a single .oxp .

BTW: I haven't tried the new version yet, but could we have a warning like "Enemy ships detected" accompanied with a less annoying warning sound than the surrent one?
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

A general note on OXP creation: under Mac OS X, OXPs are treated as though they were a single file (a “package”). End-users on other platforms should really have no reason to look inside OXPs either. For these reasons, don’t put a Read Me inside an OXP, because it won’t be read. (Several people have done this.)
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

Ive been trying to make further inroads into enhancing the customsounds. Ive gone to the source code and edited PlayerEntity.m,
adding

[universe playCustomSound:@"[anysound]"];
in the relevant areas to add further csutomsounds. Ive made the appropriate changes to customsounds.plist as well. Ive then created the game from source, but when i play, it does not recognise any of the new commands. Is there something thagt I'm doing wrong in relation to this?
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

CustomSounds **V1.2**

Post by milinks »

I have added an updated version of the customsounds.oxp to Oosat2. This update includes a number of changes and additions. I have added some basic background noises whilst docked. These are triggered with the buy and sell keys. At present the source does not allow for Gui screen changes to trigger audio files, but these are an example of basic docked noises, heopefully to give people an idea as to what they would like to hear when the background GUI extensions that Giles has thoughts about come about. I haver also put a number of backgroud music files whilst in flight, so there is some ambience whilst flyiing in deep space.

Other additions include ECM warning, escape pod scooped and others. One issue that i havent managed to resolve is the planet and station aegis. Giles has placed customsounds for both of these, and sound files have been included in the customsouds oxp from v1, but they do not seem to work. It would be appreciated if those using Windows, Mac and Linux check to see if these two sound files work on their respective machines. I just have a sneaky feeling that this may be a Windows fault, similar to what we had when the aegis wouldnt display etc. Anyway please download and enjoy, and if it gives people ideas as to what they would like to hear etc then its worth it! :)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

A little Mac-hiccup: Refusing to load breakpattern.ogg because its uncompressed size is over 4194304 bytes.

Nothing but praise, except the 'missile locked' message, I still feel that is too aggresive, better 'scanner locked' or I.D. system locked...

Oh, and when the 'mini-scanner' brackets the station, (which is in fact getting to the planet Aegis,)the voice says : 'planetary system in range' but that sounds a bit... Confusing, maybe 'Station coordinates acknowledged' or something like that? I guess
One issue that i havent managed to resolve is the planet and station aegis. Giles has placed customsounds for both of these, and sound files have been included in the customsouds oxp from v1, but they do not seem to work. It would be appreciated if those using Windows, Mac and Linux check to see if these two sound files work on their respective machines
is related to that? If later the 'S' appears (station Aegis,) it could then say 'in range for autodocking, I dunno...

Love the 'AaaaAAAaaaaaah' fuel-inject effect :)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Ah, another blemish: the scoop thing.

Sometimes the scoops take awhile to actually reel in a container, in the original soundset you could hear the 'gulping' sound repeat, but now it is over the top, the voice repeating it has successfully scooped (which it hasn't technically speaking, it is *still* scooping)and a sound effect... it sounds like a malfunction (ah.. Maybe supposed to be so? Heh.)
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

small changes

Post by milinks »

Apologies Ryke, i forgot to alter the customsounds.plist amended by Giles in V1.2. Ive just uploaded alt_sounds to Oosat2, this is a small file which makes changes which you've mentioned, ive made the breakpattern smaller, changed the aegis' and the missile lock and scoop.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Thanks! :D
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Love it!! :D

As a wish-list, would it be possible to have the messages from other ships read out?

Also sound events for systems being destroyed?

What about some warning noises as the sheilds fall such as "Warning Shield critical" when low, "Warning Shields have Failed", when they drop, "Warning hull integrity breached" as the 2nd Engery Bank fails and "Warning Structual integrity field failing. Eject Eject Eject" when on energy low.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

LittleBear wrote:
What about some warning noises as the sheilds fall such as "Warning Shield critical" when low, "Warning Shields have Failed", when they drop, "Warning hull integrity breached" as the 2nd Engery Bank fails and "Warning Structual integrity field failing. Eject Eject Eject" when on energy low.
I like this idea. It's not only adds to the 'reality', but it is useful too.
stinga
Harmless
Harmless

Game pauses when missile sound loads

Post by stinga »

I've noticed with the custom sounds that when I fire a missile the game pauses for a split second, like the CPU is suddenly being taxed when the sound is called up..

Anyone else had this problem and/or know of a work around.

Running on Win XP (AMD 2100+ CPU) with more than enough video and standard ram.