Nice To Be Back, But Feel Like A Newbie Again, One More Dumb Question?

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

slomoe
Competent
Competent
Location: At The Edge, Looking Down Listening To The Winds Of Limbo Roar

Nice To Be Back, But Feel Like A Newbie Again, One More Dumb Question?

Post by slomoe »

I am trying the 1.84 Oolite up until now I was using 1.77 so I just drug my add-on file into the new one most everything worked. The link7g.oxp said it wasn't compatible I can live with that. My questions are, I see that there are some if not maybe all that have been switched over to oxz. do they work better than the old ones? are they the same? can you have a mixture of expansions? some oxp and some oxz? I'd like to mix and match as it were but I'm waiting for higher intelligence to give me a little advice, Thanks in advance, good to be back!!

P.S. I've heard that that you still can get or use the energy bomb, I hope that's true! :twisted:
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Nice To Be Back, But Feel Like A Newbie Again, One More Dumb Question?

Post by phkb »

Welcome back, commander!
slomoe wrote:
do they work better than the old ones?
possibly, if they're taking advantage of new features. However, if the version number of the OXZ is the same as the OXP then there is no difference.
You can mix and match OXP's with OXZ's as much as you like.
And yes, the energy bomb is still available as an add on.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Aye, welcome back, amigo!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
slomoe
Competent
Competent

Post by slomoe »

Thanks for the quick comeback I asked because everything works as far as I remembered it except the Vortex can't get it to switch bays can make it to the screen that says next or previous but it won't change it. So I guess I'll do a bit of research see if the version is different, thanks again Commanders for making me feel welcome! :D
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Welcome back slomoe!

The new .oxz format contain more metadata like description, info url and a list of required other packages if any. It is made for the expansion manager to be downloadable within the game, moreover easily updateable when you memorized the hotkey of the filter which show the available updates since you installed them.
slomoe
Competent
Competent

Post by slomoe »

Let me ask a question to all or anyone who may answer, I have 1.77 and quite a few oxps. Some giff stuff but when I traded over to 1.84 most everything worked, with a few exceptions Vortex, link 7, and it seems like one more. Anyway as I started the 1.84 version I used my old saves and they seemed to work also. I started to replace any expansions that were newer than the ones I already had, that's when the trouble started the ships didn't come through on my saves anymore and I'm curious as to which will work and which will not. If you had just changed over to the newest version from 1.77 what new stuff would you put on and why? :wink:

P.S.
Also could anybody help me with fixing the Vortex, Thargoid said he was retired from writing and maintaining oxps. I am pretty backwards on coding and such :roll: but if told what to change or rewrite I'll give it a try!! :twisted:

PP.SS. Actually a couple of more DUMB :roll: Questions: #1Anybody use stash, or cargo scanner? if so how do you use them? #2 what is the little gray circle with a green dot in it to the right of the standard hud display on the cobra mrk III? :?

Thanks In Advance!!!
javirodriguez
Competent
Competent

Post by javirodriguez »

"Cargo scanner" works fine on 1.84, it's a useful piece of equipment.
phkb

Post by phkb »

slomoe wrote:
Anybody use stash, or cargo scanner?
Cargo scanner will do its thing after you purchase the equipment item. Then, whenever you target a cargo canister, the contents of it will appear with the targeting information.
slomoe wrote:
the ships didn't come through on my saves
This could mean that the updated shipset changed its ship key entry between versions, so the ship key of your save doesn't match the ship key in the OXP. Without knowing which ship sets you had previously, which ones you have now, and more importantly, which ship you are using which isn't working when the OXP is updated, it's a little hard to diagnose.
slomoe
Competent
Competent

Post by slomoe »

Thanks everyone I did figure out the cargo scanner it is helpful and stash wouldn't work with the download manager so I manually placed it in my add on folder, but there was no documentation so I'm not even sure it's working! does anyone remember in galaxcy 1 you had to a take a picture of a hidden planet? 3 ly west of a certain planet I'm not even sure what oxp it is. but either way I can't seem to find it or should I say I don't know how to find it if you remember that mission I'll take any hint you'll give me thanks in advance!! :roll:
phkb

Post by phkb »

Make sure you've got the latest version (which currently isn't in the manager) https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 11#p253463