[WIP] GalCop Missions

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Re: [WIP] GalCop Missions

Post by MrFlibble »

Interstellar black box.

Attempt 1. Blew up the target with a short volley. Also shot the black box, at least I thought so. I shot the target, and waded through a heap of Thargoid fun to get to the small cloud of cargo. No black box.

Assumed I'd fluffed it. Quit. Redo from save.

Attempt 2. Blew up the target. Targeted the box. Just failed to snag it before my witchspace jump out, and didn't stop in time.
Witchspaced back in on the same run (no reload from save). The target was back in one piece, waiting to be blown up again! Handy, if somewhat odd. Shot it again. Got the box this time.

Tried again from save, to see which bits of the above were repeatable. The rest of this missive was from one run:

Box was on TMI MFD at first refresh after zapping the target. Couldn't shoot the box, at least not with a reasonable volley. Jumped through to normal space, and flipped back to interstellar.

Fresh target. Shot the refreshed target (a different ship than the last). The enemy were too close, so I hit 'H', and pulled back on the stick to re-interstellar. This time there was no target in sight. (I ought to recheck that but I'm shattered.)

Jumped to normal, then again back to interstellar, and all was reset with yet another new target.

I had the black box in my sights this time, but a mad melee made me fling it clear as I tried to scoop it, a scrap with the aliens caused me to move around a bit. I used the range finder to home in on it from maybe 150k away. It was within grasp at the edge of scanner, among other white fluff, and a batch of Thargoid victims which I could pick off quite quickly. After that scrap the box was gone from range finder altogether... So they can vanish!

Back to normal, back interstellar. Redo. Yay. Got back to the station with minutes to spare and nearly 50 more kills than my non-research run.

I'll keep the research outcome!
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

I just took a cargo recovery mission from a space bar BBS. Two issues. One grammar. One location description.
So we are looking for a pilot to head over to Xemageat, find the 11 pods in an asteroid field somewhere behind the witchpoint from the sun, and hauling it all back here.
Should certainly be haul rather than hauling. Possibly better as "them" rather than "it", the "all" may be superfluous. I don't know whether ["hauling", "carrying", "bringing"] gets used in a different way elsewhere.

Regarding location description, "back here" is fair enough while at "here", but the email and description make no hint at where "here" is, and on completion, F5F5 shows as:
Cargo recovery mission complete. Return to the station in Lazaso where you accepted the mission
Which, one might ask after loading a save, was where? :shock:
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

Doing a defend satellites, when I have the towbar laser reductor set on I notice that unusually, all the target ships are going derelict when shot, and of course also chuck out escape pods.

Is this by design?
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

Sorry to hit this thread so hard. I'm not expecting rapid responses. I realise you've given a massive amount of time and attention to this OXP, and all matters OOlite of late. My time in the Ooniverse is like a second youth to this old keyboard smasher, and I thank you, sincerely, for all you do.

I'm stuck in step 9 of Coyote's Run, and have probably racked up 1000 kills flying round the Steel Halo hoping for the next event, hence I'm thrashing this incarnation of GalCop, providing me direction and amusement while patrolling a small area.

Doing a couple of "investigate unknown nav beacon" jobs. I've not tried them for a while, but had no problems in the past, when I had a slower ship, and before your last bug round-up.

Today, the first I tried was other side of witchpoint from star, this one's the other way around. I gave up after about 64000 out, on both attempts of the previous, that's when the scanner gets a bit weird, and lightballs from behind flash into the forward view from time to time.. telescope bugs I expect.

I pass various H.M.S and G.S.S ships along the way at each attempt. I see no alert for unknown beacons.

Could I be going so fast I miss it, or should I fly further? This time I'm at at 66327 from the star, and 34773 from the last big ship, I'm doing a speed of 186200. I don't recall the fun being that far out before.

I flew a tad further for the heck of it. At 93000 out, at a speed of 248080, I see a phantom asteroid flashing in front of me for maybe a frame or two every second, at 58000 to 60000 km according to the target square. Pause and resume, it went away.

I note that beyond a speed of maybe 200000, hitting J to stop then start, what's behind on the scanner appears to flash past, as a visible flash in the forward view, and along the scanner to forward, zipping back to normal when slowing down. I guess the asteroid thing was at a happy clash of speed and distance causing an oscillation in and out of a bug manifestation.

At 135000 out, I am moving at 322560. Can't be that far out. Abort!

I have saves in-flight in the solar system before heading deep, and out far where just hitting J will send behind to in-front (with my OXP cocktail). Also a save of the previous mission.

I am at your disposal to try things at my end. I have debug console etc.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

MrFlibble wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:55 pm
Sorry to hit this thread so hard. I'm not expecting rapid responses. I realise you've given a massive amount of time and attention to this OXP, and all matters OOlite of late. My time in the Ooniverse is like a second youth to this old keyboard smasher, and I thank you, sincerely, for all you do.

I'm stuck in step 9 of Coyote's Run, and have probably racked up 1000 kills flying round the Steel Halo hoping for the next event, hence I'm thrashing this incarnation of GalCop, providing me direction and amusement while patrolling a small area.

Doing a couple of "investigate unknown nav beacon" jobs. I've not tried them for a while, but had no problems in the past, when I had a slower ship, and before your last bug round-up.

Today, the first I tried was other side of witchpoint from star, this one's the other way around. I gave up after about 64000 out, on both attempts of the previous, that's when the scanner gets a bit weird, and lightballs from behind flash into the forward view from time to time.. telescope bugs I expect.

I pass various H.M.S and G.S.S ships along the way at each attempt. I see no alert for unknown beacons.

Could I be going so fast I miss it, or should I fly further? This time I'm at at 66327 from the star, and 34773 from the last big ship, I'm doing a speed of 186200. I don't recall the fun being that far out before.

I flew a tad further for the heck of it. At 93000 out, at a speed of 248080, I see a phantom asteroid flashing in front of me for maybe a frame or two every second, at 58000 to 60000 km according to the target square. Pause and resume, it went away.

I note that beyond a speed of maybe 200000, hitting J to stop then start, what's behind on the scanner appears to flash past, as a visible flash in the forward view, and along the scanner to forward, zipping back to normal when slowing down. I guess the asteroid thing was at a happy clash of speed and distance causing an oscillation in and out of a bug manifestation.

At 135000 out, I am moving at 322560. Can't be that far out. Abort!

I have saves in-flight in the solar system before heading deep, and out far where just hitting J will send behind to in-front (with my OXP cocktail). Also a save of the previous mission.

I am at your disposal to try things at my end. I have debug console etc.
The cheat OXP Long Range Scanner lists everything present in the solar system.
Warning (1) - it wrecks my game so I use it exclusively for "non-play" testing (but if you only used it just before docking on returning from a failed mission it might not wreck your game...)
Warning (2) - in my Ooniverse it's usually around 1,000 items for the busier/wealthier systems.
Warning (3) - does not give direction, merely distance
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I'm stuck in step 9 of Coyote's Run, and have probably racked up 1000 kills flying round the Steel Halo hoping for the next event
Have you tried interstellar space between Zaenza and Lazaso?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

Cody wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:48 pm
I'm stuck in step 9 of Coyote's Run, and have probably racked up 1000 kills flying round the Steel Halo hoping for the next event
Have you tried interstellar space between Zaenza and Lazaso?
Yes. I'm at "Hunt Clan Katik". though have seen nothing obviously of their kin. I keep getting told by La Bruja agents that Clan Katik have just been at every other place an hour ago and my chums sorted it out. So while [ "x$newevent" = "x" ] ; do { wander ; kill ; refuel ; } done.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

There's one mission type that baffles me a bit. I'm assuming they're GalCop related.

The ones that come by email, asking for an audience relating to a mission opportunity, at a meeting point, for a small fee.

F5F5 shows a BBS mission like "Fly to the waypoint in $place to meet another ship within ${H}hrs ${M}mins"

I go to the waypoint, give the passcode, get a "Yep. All good.", and then they just sit there like a gold brick waiting for a rather large slice of lemon.

Give 'em a "Greetings", get a "Good day", and still nothing.

After the passcode is agreed, nothing shows on F5F5, it's just gone. The fee is paid immediately, but that is all.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Yep, that looks like a bug. Anytime you see variable names rather than readable text, yeah, something’s gone pear shaped.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Anything show up in the log for that mission?
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

phkb wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:55 am
Yep, that looks like a bug. Anytime you see variable names rather than readable text, yeah, something’s gone pear shaped.
I should have quoted exactly, sorry... I filled in variables where I'd expect the bits to be variable. I've had this on a few such missions and figured the places and times would be irrelevant.

I'm re-running it now to see what the logs say.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

phkb wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:57 am
Anything show up in the log for that mission?

Code: Select all

[code]07:57:04.078 [script.javaScript.unrootedTimer]: ----- WARNING: Timer <OOJSTimer 0x5b5530d4f340>{nextTime: 73.4247, interval: 1, running, function: almanacupdateDistance} is being garbage-collected while still running. You must keep a reference to all running timers, or they will stop unpredictably!
07:57:06.975 [script.javaScript.exception.undeclaredVar]: ***** JavaScript exception (Coyote-Main 2.3): ReferenceError: assignment to undeclared variable RType
08:00:21.875 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (RandomStationNames 0.92): TypeError: currenttarget.scriptInfo is undefined
08:01:33.524 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefined]: ----- JavaScript warning (BroadcastCommsMFD_Equipment 1.3.7): Unknown expansion key [missionType7156_linkedMissionTypes] in string.
08:01:33.524 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefined]:       /home/user/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.phkb.GalCopMissions.oxz/Scripts/galcopbb_missions.js, line 2559.
08:01:33.536 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefined]: ----- JavaScript warning (BroadcastCommsMFD_Equipment 1.3.7): Unknown expansion key [missionTypeNaN_mainWorldScript] in string.
08:01:33.536 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefined]:       /home/user/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.phkb.GalCopMissions.oxz/Scripts/galcopbb_missions.js, line 1811.
08:01:33.537 [script.javaScript.stackTrace]:     interstellarWarning: undefined
08:01:33.539 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefined]: ----- JavaScript warning (BroadcastCommsMFD_Equipment 1.3.7): Unknown expansion key [missionTypeNaN_conditions] in string.
08:01:33.539 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefined]:       /home/user/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.phkb.GalCopMissions.oxz/Scripts/galcopbb_missions.js, line 1812.
08:01:33.540 [script.javaScript.stackTrace]:     interstellarWarning: undefined
08:01:33.542 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (BroadcastCommsMFD_Equipment 1.3.7): TypeError: worldScripts[mainWS] is undefined
Edit: I got bored and shot them. The debug console and log went a bit nuts. Below is repeated per shot.
Debug:

Exception: TypeError: this.$contactShipAttacked is not a function
    Active script: oolite-default-ship-script 1.91
    galcopbb_meetship.js, line 333:
    	this.$contactShipAttacked(this.ship, whom);
Log:

08:08:28.605 [script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-default-ship-script 1.91): TypeError: this.$contactShipAttacked is not a function
It went derelict... perhaps I should have ripped it up on the towbar.
Last edited by MrFlibble on Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Excellent! Thanks!
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:13 pm
The cheat OXP Long Range Scanner lists everything present in the solar system.
Warning (1) - it wrecks my game so I use it exclusively for "non-play" testing (but if you only used it just before docking on returning from a failed mission it might not wreck your game...)
Warning (2) - in my Ooniverse it's usually around 1,000 items for the busier/wealthier systems.
Warning (3) - does not give direction, merely distance
Oh! Cool tool. I was going to get some hammock time, but I think I'll grab a coffee instead.

Thank you.
phkb

Post by phkb »

07:57:06.975 [script.javaScript.exception.undeclaredVar]: ***** JavaScript exception (Coyote-Main 2.3): ReferenceError: assignment to undeclared variable RType
This error is the cause of your issues with Coyote's Run. I'll post an update later tonight.