[WIP] GalCop Missions

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: [WIP] GalCop Missions

Post by phkb »

MrFlibble wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:17 pm
I have saves of before departure, in flight a while after scooping the lifeless escape capsule, and just after return to station if you want them.
I might need to grab these, when you get a moment. I can't reproduce the issue with the escape pod. From the code's point of view, once the mission is complete, the time stops. When you say this:
left the Ooniverse for the night and went to the pub.
What do you actually mean? Was this "return to the main/nearest station, dock, save and exit", or a "save-in-flight save and exit". Or something else?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Oh, and if possible, if you could check your latest.log file before/during/after a mission, in case there are any errors/warning showing up that might reveal where an issue can be found.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

phkb wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:07 pm
I have saves of before departure, in flight a while after scooping the lifeless escape capsule, and just after return to station if you want them.
I might need to grab these, when you get a moment. I can't reproduce the issue with the escape pod. From the code's point of view, once the mission is complete, the time stops.
Have sent you the three saves.
phkb wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:07 pm
When you say this:
left the Ooniverse for the night and went to the pub.
What do you actually mean? Was this "return to the main/nearest station, dock, save and exit", or a "save-in-flight save and exit". Or something else?
IIRC, I just quit the game as I felt the mission was stuffed. The following day was from a previous docked save, so was a re-run from scratch.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

phkb wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:01 am
Oh, and if possible, if you could check your latest.log file before/during/after a mission, in case there are any errors/warning showing up that might reveal where an issue can be found.
Wilco!
phkb

Post by phkb »

The next release of GalCop Missions is looking like a major step forward in mission reliability and consistency, as well as making sure goals are clear. The update list is over 30 items long already! Big shout out to MrFlibble for all the testing and reporting.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

phkb wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:56 am
The next release of GalCop Missions is looking like a major step forward in mission reliability and consistency, as well as making sure goals are clear. The update list is over 30 items long already! Big shout out to MrFlibble for all the testing and reporting.
Awesome, and thanks for the nod.

Not sure if it's on your list, and I may have mentioned similar but I'm rushing to go out. I just docked from a "Pirates for hire", I needed 15, and had 16, which was handy, 'cos on docking, an escape capsule was taken off my hands, leaving me with 15. Perhaps escape capsules shouldn't count as 'stolen cargo' in this context.
phkb

Post by phkb »

MrFlibble wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:12 pm
Awesome, and thanks for the nod.
No worries. What you've done has been an incredible help.

I'm thinking about pushing out an update. If you're in the middle of a test I'll hold off, but I've probably hit my limit for mission testing at the moment! (ie I need to do something else!)

Here's what will be in the next version:
  • Added a 10% penalty to cargo recovery missions (type 6) for each cargo pod the player destroys.
  • Destroying a cargo pod in a cargo recovery mission will now trigger a mission status update.
  • Fixed multiple issues with the descriptive text for Cargo Recovery missions (type 6).
  • Excluded escape pods from being considered in the Pirates for Hire mission (type 8 ) when slaves are being sought.
  • Adjusted spawning rules for ship with stolen items (type 33), to ensure they always spawn in scanner range of the player.
  • Fixed bug in special delivery mission (type 40) that was preventing key information from being updated.
  • Tweaked special delivery mission (type 40) so mission complete percentage doesn't go above 100%.
  • Added missing position to a "Computer delivery" mission (type 42) description.
  • Bug fixes in disease outbreak script (types 50-52).
  • Fixed issue with disease outbreak systems, where system traffic wasn't being reduced, and GalCop station docking wasn't being prevented, in the case where the player doesn't have a valid permit.
  • Fixed grammar in descriptive text for Hacking the witchpoint mission (type 60).
  • Fixed issues with mission details and grammar for station disrupt missions (type 63).
  • Fixed issues preventing the disrupt station missions (type 63/64) from being completable.
  • Reduced eject distance for the Acquire GalCop Software mission (type 65).
  • Fixed issues preventing the Acquire GalCop Software mission (type 65) from being completable.
  • Beacon labels are now turned off after collecting data from Solar Monitors (type 71).
  • Updated manifest and BB status entries for donation missions (types 80-87) so that after a partial donation the status shows how much is remaining to donate.
  • Removed waypoints from terminated or failed Seismic Scan missions (type 100).
  • Fixed issue with manifest entry for "Asteroids in low orbit" mission (type 102), where it did not show progress towards completion.
  • Fixed issue with completing the "Deliver Seismic Scan Data" mission (type 104), where the equipment item wasn't being removed.
  • Destroying a satellite will now update the mission objectives (types 110-124).
  • Corrected issue preventing some satellite missions from being completable if the Galactic Almanac OXP is installed.
  • Fixed bug when spawning satellite defenders that was preventing the AI from being switched.
  • Tweaked how far you have to go past the reference point before the unidentified signal is started in an Investigation mission (type 130-138).
  • Tweaked descriptions for investigation missions to include a "reference point" past which a fair distance must be traveled in order to find the signal.
  • Tweaked the location of unidentified signals in Investigation missions (type 130-138).
  • Fixed spelling in "Defend station from attack" mission (type 152) description.
  • Added some lurking pirates outside pirate bases.
  • Added some extra details to manifest entry for missions that send to you a specific location in a system.
  • Ejection damper now includes "uses left" in a console message when turned on and again when used.
  • Fixed issue that was preventing the Range Finder equipment from detecting mission-based escape pods.
  • Fixed issue where cargo collected for missions wasn't being handed over correctly and removed from the player's hold.
  • Fixed issue where scooping more cargo than the mission requirement would cause some display and calculation irregularities.
  • Fixed issue where the F5F5 manifest page wasn't getting updated correctly for missions that have multiple items to collect if items had been destroyed.
  • Fixed various other grammar issues in mission text.
  • Fixed grammar in readme.txt.
  • Code refactoring.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

phkb wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:23 am
I'm thinking about pushing out an update. If you're in the middle of a test I'll hold off, but I've probably hit my limit for mission testing at the moment! (ie I need to do something else!)
Removal or inhibiting of Debug points?

I'm happy to pause, pending new cause to test :)
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

:idea: Just one more thing if you've not hit 'commit' yet.

It would be good to have fewer (or no) missions that require "Return to originating station" where there's no obvious reason, i.e. nothing to take back, like "Deliver data package".
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

Using version 1.91.0.7592-240224-26a93c1-linux-dev-x86_64

I cannot select anything other than exit from the GalCop menu, even in a new game.

Code: Select all

[script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (BulletinBoardSystem 2.6): Error: Native exception: Range location + length too great
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

MrFlibble wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:09 pm
I felt the mission was stuffed.
Just curious... are there any of these dozens of differing missions which you would regard as the bees' knees? Not to be missed?

Or is there some sort of encomium which you would be happy to see quoted on the wiki page?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:52 am
MrFlibble wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:09 pm
I felt the mission was stuffed.
Just curious... are there any of these dozens of differing missions which you would regard as the bees' knees? Not to be missed?

Or is there some sort of encomium which you would be happy to see quoted on the wiki page?

By stuffed, I meant I'd fluffed it and needed to redo. The mission itself was fine.

I've played 'vanilla' on and off since the 80s from the C64 through Amiga, then emulated, and finally Oolite. I installed a ships OXP probably 10 years ago. It's only in the last month or so that I've gone OXP crazy.

Within a few hours of installing GalCop, I'd tried missions of each "flavour". No one mission sticks out to me particularly, there's fun to be had with all of them. My only dislike I've mentioned above, most missions require return to origin, not many of the GalCop missions can fit along a route. I like to take multiple overlapping missions from GalCop, RRS, mercenary, passenger, etc.

I'm having an odd day. I'll ponder an encomium when closer to normal.
phkb

Post by phkb »

MrFlibble wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:39 am
I cannot select anything other than exit from the GalCop menu, even in a new game.
Yep, that was a fail on my part. An update to the BB System is the cause. New version should be available in the manager shortly, or you can download it directly from the wiki here: [EliteWiki] Bulletin Board System
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

There was a native exception though, that is a core error that shouldn't be happening. Starting from the fix you applied, can you get to the root cause in the code and try to stop it from failing?

Looking at the gnustep-base sources, this seems to be an exception triggered from the NSMakeRange method in the NSRange class.
phkb

Post by phkb »

another_commander wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:55 pm
There was a native exception though, that is a core error that shouldn't be happening. Starting from the fix you applied, can you get to the root cause in the code and try to stop it from failing?

Looking at the gnustep-base sources, this seems to be an exception triggered from the NSMakeRange method in the NSRange class.
It’ll be something to do with trying to put too many menu options on a mission screen that doesn’t allow for it. I’ll check it out.