Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Repopulation of the Ooniverse?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Repopulation of the Ooniverse?

Post by Diziet Sma »

Day wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:41 am
I quite like the explanation from the novel. It solves the game mystery.
I don't recall The Dark Wheel providing an explanation.. are you referring to the one Drew made in Status Quo? If so, I quite agree.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

The whys and wherefores can be secondary of course (and there's no need for them to be explicit in game).
I'm seing it as an excuse to make the galaxies/sectors more varied; there may however be much better ways to do this.
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Diziet Sma wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:01 am
I quite like the explanation from the novel. It solves the game mystery.
I don't recall The Dark Wheel providing an explanation.. are you referring to the one Drew made in Status Quo? If so, I quite agree.
Yes :D
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Redspear wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:24 am
The whys and wherefores can be secondary of course (and there's no need for them to be explicit in game).
I'm seing it as an excuse to make the galaxies/sectors more varied; there may however be much better ways to do this.
I'm following you ^^
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

Now, if you propose that each galaxy has a dominant specie, for immigration reasons (immigrants from the same origin cluster together), I'm gladly following you :)
Quite the discussion I seem to have sparked here... let's see where this goes :)

Anyways, but yes, this is something I can imagine - but maybe with "updated" or maybe completely replaced species. So since we have eight main galaxies (I know of an OXP that adds another eight), and eight main species scattered throughout the galaxies/regions, this is something I believe to base a reimagination of the species in the Ooniverse.

This of course would have to be given some thought. I too think it's best if one species is the dominant one, where as others get a share but not as much. Maybe this is for diplomatic reasons, tactical reasons, or simply because of a trade agreement of some sorts - the possibilities are endless. For bonus distinction, each species would get their own main station design and then maybe some variations based on the tech level in that system. The higher the tech level, the more sophisticated a station is.

Maybe we can start with this:

Tall Whites
Each race has their name for them, due to their skin and hair color. Humanoid in shape, but very tall. Believed to be ancient, excel in trade and diplomacy. Dominant in Region 1.

Reticuli Triumvirate
Known as the "Grays" for their prominent skin color. Excel in covert operations, very ancient, huge scientific knowledge. Dominant in Region 2.

Human colonists
Obviously the "mainline" human race. Jack of all trades but also masters of none, even engage in rogue and pirate activities. Sometimes excel in diplomacy and science. Dominant in Region 3.

Midori Regime
Mostly a war-faring race and almost always engaged in combat, they are reminiscent of an insect-like shape. Few have ever seen them in person. Excel in military incursions, defense, attack and weapon manufacturing. Dominant in Region 4.

Order of the Venthu
Primarily a religious race, somewhat humanoid in shape. They own the biggest financial institution in the ooniverse, The Bank of the Black Monks. Excel in trade and financial brokering. Dominant in Region 5.

Brane Federation
Similar to humans in shape, the Brane are mostly an exploring society. Claim to have visited every single system in the Ooniverse. Excel in exploring and data mining, but also experts on the matter of defense. Dominant in Region 6.

People's Republic of Chi'taia
Dark-skinned, with three legs, and arguably similarly as huge as the Tall Whites, the Chi'taia are a ruthless race that engages in all kind of activity which promises to extend the race's possession of things as a whole - the more the better. No political form, but can be defined as anarchy. Excel in aggression tactics and military strategy, but are willing to trade with anyone offering good deals. Dominant in Region 7.

State of Prathell
Ruled by an alliance of their most powerful corporations, the Prathell are somewhat lizard in shape, but also humanoid. They are excelling in any kind of industry and have learned to make good deals. But also no novice when it comes to defense. Dominant in Region 8.

-------------

Thargoid
An insect-like race not known to have any origin. Their political direction remains unknown, as well as their area of expertise. Though the past shown this to be war-faring race with no other aim then to expand their space, or make sure that the space they enter, will remain theirs after an incursion. Not dominant in any region, but appear in any region, at any system, with no visible pattern. Seem to excel in weapons technology. Dominant in interstellar space.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Just because being a roughly 2m tall biped suits us, doesn't mean that evolution wouldn't take a massively different course in other environments and everything more or less human sized and shaped is a bit dull. This idea that aliens have to be human-ish is only because the cheapest TV 'aliens' are actors in body-costumes! You've been watching too much TV Sci-fi, I think. :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

I'm open to suggestions.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Smivs wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:41 pm
Just because being a roughly 2m tall biped suits us, doesn't mean that evolution wouldn't take a massively different course in other environments and everything more or less human sized and shaped is a bit dull. This idea that aliens have to be human-ish is only because the cheapest TV 'aliens' are actors in body-costumes! You've been watching too much TV Sci-fi, I think. :wink:
True, but if we're all flying around in the same ships then it might suggest a degree of similarity.
hoqllnq
Commodore
Commodore

Post by hoqllnq »

Smivs wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:41 pm
Just because being a roughly 2m tall biped suits us, [...] and everything more or less human sized and shaped is a bit dull.
For thousands more years the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across—which happened to be the Earth—where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog.

- Douglas Adams
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I just like the variety we have, and see no problem with it. Given the right conditions almost anything could probably evolve to sentience.
To my mind that 'green frog' is probably so different from Earth creatures in all respects that I'd have trouble relating to it at all, except luckily it vaguely resembles something I know (a frog) so I'm OK. Just like the horned yellow birds are biologically as far removed from a chicken as a cactus is, but it looks a bit like a bird so I can relate to it.
These only seem a bit silly if you assume they are 'related' somehow to familiar Earth creatures, which they are almost certainly not.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Smivs wrote:
These only seem a bit silly if you assume they are 'related' somehow to familiar Earth creatures, which they are almost certainly not.
I would agree as far as "assume", i.e. They only seem a bit silly if you start to make assumptions.

EDIT: Somehow this part wasn't displaying at all:
Smivs wrote:
I just like the variety we have, and see no problem with it. Given the right conditions almost anything could probably evolve to sentience.
Agreed.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Ideas about all, or even most, members of a particular species being "like this", or "like that", are probably - since we're dealing with an entire species, and not just a single culture- far less accurate than statements such as "all Scots are misers". It's a hangover, mostly, from bad scifi TV shows, which tend to reduce all non-human cultures to The Planet of the Hats.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

And yet it is familiarity, I think, that truly lets us see past stereotypes and recognise the diversity within each group/culture/race/species/genus. The 'romance' of the alien lends itself to mystery (rather than familiarity) which in turn lends itself to 'convenient' (but also lazy) stereotyping.

So whether it's ice/swamp/volcanic planets in star wars or the straight-jacket cultires of star trek there exists a striking 'identifier' for the uninitiated. That there exists variation, diversity and even contrary characteristics beyond the obvious needn't be denied, rather it is like something one has never seen before and is shocked by - until you can see past it, it is all you can see.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

hoqllnq wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:31 pm
hoqllnq wrote:
For thousands more years the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across—which happened to be the Earth—where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog.

- Douglas Adams
I second that! 8)
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

Getafix wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:20 am
hoqllnq wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:31 pm
hoqllnq wrote:

- Douglas Adams
I second that! 8)
Maybe time for Redspear to adjust the Rescaling Experiment :mrgreen: