Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

v1.65 beta 1 Patch available (Crash Bang Wallop version)

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

v1.65 beta 1 Patch available (Crash Bang Wallop version)

Post by aegidian »

V1.65 beta 1 is a test release for new technologies in Oolite's engine. It *should* be markedly faster than v1.64, but may be less stable. If you notice a change in performance in Oolite on your machine (for better or worse) - please send details of your machine and the changes to [email protected].

Note this upgrade comes in two flavours, one for PowerPC, one for the Universal Binary release.
Please check which version of Oolite you are using before proceeding by using Finder's Get Info on Oolite.app - if it says Kind: Application (PowerPC) use the PowerPC version, if it is Kind: Application (Universal) use the Universal Binary version.

FOR PowerPC VERSION (Standard Release Version)
:arrow: http://www.digitalnervouswreck.com/ooli ... o165b1.zip

FOR UNIVERSAL BINARY VERSION
:arrow: http://www.digitalnervouswreck.com/ooli ... 65b1UB.zip

:arrow: Download the file above and expand it.

:arrow: Drag Oolite.app (v1.62+) onto the DropUpgradeOoliteTo165b1 or DropUpgradeOoliteTo165b1UB application.

:!: A small file called OolitePatch.log will be written to your desktop. If you have any problems upgrading you should mail me this file along with any crash reports and console.log entries.

:!: Oolite should immediately launch and give an 'Update successful' message.

The menu option About Oolite should also now show the version number as 1.65

Note that this will not update Oolite's version number in the Finder 'Get Info' box until the Finder is relaunched.

Main Changes for Version 1.65 (all versions)

• Implemented <key>hasShipyard</key> for stations and carriers. Use either a number (0..1) or an array of conditions as the value.
• Mission and local variables are now expanded recursively.
• Implemented fuel restriction to 7.0LY (even when specified higher).
• Optimised planet drawing at a distance (cures depth-buffer problems) and linked atmosphere resolution to the planet resolution (one LoD stutter instead of two).
• Neater delivery report screen.
• Splinters no longer count as kills.
• Sleepy pirates no longer so sleepy.
• Custom sounds for many events can be specified (see customsounds.plist).
• Background scenes for some GUI screens implemented (including views of planets in the system data screen).
• FPS display now shows number of collision tests per tick.
• Eliminated ghost-ship bug.
• Implemented very efficient collision detection optimisation and octree based collision detection (needs lots of testing - for speed and accuracy).
• Debugging messages optimised.
• System inhabitants now get better pluralisations.
• Lighting changes on GUI ship displays.
• OOScript adopted as new means of writing OXP scripts.
• Allowed for a greater variety of docking port shapes.
• Sound code fixed (thanks Ahruman.)
• Flashers and rotating sub-entities now show up in GUI ship displays.
• NPC ships now occasionally deploy q-bombs!
• Many other glitches, typos and minor bugs fixed.
• <key>like_ship</key> in shipdata.plist now performs correctly.

Version 1.64

• New equipment: EQ_HEAT_SHIELD, External heat shielding to make sun-skimming easier; EQ_TARGET_MEMORY, allows the shipcomp to store/recall up to 16 targets.
• Equipment availability system augmented, see equipment.plist for details.
• Improved implementation of radiation damage (very slightly less deadly, applies to NPC ships too).
• Implemented scanner un-zoom (press shift-Z).
• Allow selection of coincident target systems on the chart screens (click just above or below the system).
• Implemented control for ambient light level in planetinfo.plist (<key>ambient_level</key><real>1.0</real>).
• Implemented <key>isCarrier</key><true/>|<false/> in shipdata.plist entries.
• Implemented <key>rotaing</key><true/>|<false/> in shipdata.plist entries for stations.
• Implemented better handling of over-complicated models.
• More improemnts to sound code (thanks Ahruman).
• Fixed image handling problem (fixes Lave.oxp's moon bug).
• Fixed collision/scooping problems (fixes 'ghost escape pod' bug).
• Fixed text input problems (fixes 'Commander name change' bug, thanks Winston).
• Improvements to missile code: in shipdata.plist <key>missile_role</key> to select missiles fired by the ship, thargons going uncontrolled now properly shuck their target locks.
• Optimised lighting routines and aded more respect for the 'Reduced Detail' mode.
• Switched to GUSTO (Grand Unified Source Tree for Oolite) for future development.
• Many other minor bugfixes and glitch eliminations.

Version 1.63

• Bugfix to using zoom key in other chart screens.
• Laser vs. Ship collision detection now performed using octrees (more accurate.)
• Bug where default volume setting was 'Mute' fixed.
• All ship default console graphics are now drawn rather than taken from images.
• Hyperspace destination selected is now stored in the save game.
• ECM hardened missiles are no longer completely ECM proof (only 90% so.)
• Invincible Thargoid bug fixed.
• More aggressive data caching at start-up.
• Oolite 'strict' implements a non-zero forward velocity when speed is zero (like og. Elite.)
• 'addShipsWithinRadius:' 'consoleMessage3s:' 'consoleMessage6s:' methods implemented for scripting.
• Custom cargopods may be 'pre-filled' in their shipdata.plist entries.
• Player ship's model now drawn, permitting views of its external parts!
• Minor glitches fixed.
• Fuel scoop status indicator added to main display.
• Scooping flotsam now uses 'scoop_position' to determine where scooped items disappear into the ship.
• Major memory-use problems in AI addressed.
• Collision finding majorly overhauled to (crudely) partition space before tracking collisions - a big optimisation.

Note this patch can only upgrade Mac OS X Oolite v1.62 or later to the current version.
Last edited by aegidian on Thu May 11, 2006 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: v1.65 beta 1 Patch available (Crash Bang Wallop version)

Post by JensAyton »

aegidian wrote:
• Custom sounds for many events can be specified (see customsounds.plist).
Er, is this actually implemented? It seems not to be in the SVN head.
aegidian wrote:
• Background scenes for some GUI screens implemented (including views of planets in the system data screen).
Neither is this. Hrm. I’m definitely looking at the trunk here, up-to-date (526). Very strange.
aegidian wrote:
• FPS display now shows number of collision tests per tick.
I’m seeing this, though.
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

is it only me that upon every time hitting 7/f7, gets

Code: Select all

2006-05-06 02:11:21.261 Oolite[2701] *** NSTimer discarding exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException' (reason '*** -[NSCFString count]: selector not recognized') that raised during firing of timer with target 133e100 and selector 'doStuff:'
? :shock:
The man next to you is your lunch
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Re: v1.65 beta 1 Patch available (Crash Bang Wallop version)

Post by aegidian »

Custom sounds are definitely implemented.

I boobed on the planet-showing code though.

You need to add the following to descriptions.plist..

Code: Select all

<key>gui-scene-show-planet</key> 
<array>
	<string>target-planet	120 80 640</string>
</array>
I'll make that change forthwith..

Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

boobed, eh? ;)

those arrays sure worked.
it's great.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

G3, 10.3

No noticeable speed improvements, dogfighting seems a litter slower, even. :(

Also, I had the impression sound, esp lasersounds did some weird stuff, like small glitches or something...

But it's great to be able to dogfight with active opponents again! :D

pseudo-bug: when you try to scoop an escape-pod, and it fails, (i.e. you bump into it or the 'lock' disengages due to excessive speed-difference) the escape-pod cuts its engines, but doesn't restart them later on, it stays unpowered, floating helpless...
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

I've played it for about two hours without a single lockup! Great!

There was a crash though. I went into an anarchy system and halfway to the planet encountered a little brawl where about thirty pirates attacked a poor trader. If only that loon trader had been decent enough to get out of the way it would have been easy to e-bomb them, but now I had to take them out one by one with ECM hardened missiles on my tail.
Later, when I was nearing the coriolis, a lone Asp mkII special attacked me. Fine, fine I thought; I'll take care of anyone who desires my services. I did my usual manouver: speed paste the enemy on injectors, quick turn and fire in their behinds. Only this time the guy managed to turn too, so we were close, fast moving and on collision course! I veered out the way, but that moron veered the same way! Nooo! Crash!

That's it! From now on I'll have an escape capsule installed.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

You mean crash like the collision made the game crash... Or you crashed into eachother?
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

Not much use of an escape capsule if the whole game crashes is it? :^)

We crashed into each other. The game has worked flawlessly so far.
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

Ok, now I've discovered something strange.

If I go to the planet info screen (7) in fullscreen mode, the game freezes in the mode it was before I pressed 7. If I'm at the star map, it continues do display the map, if I'm out in space, it displays a frozen image of space.
To return to normal I have to press shift+f. The game doesn't exit fullscreen mode, but it unlocks.
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

Lucidor wrote:
..I go to the planet info screen (7) in fullscreen mode, the game freezes in the mode it was before I pressed 7. If I'm at the star map, it continues do display the map, if I'm out in space, it displays a frozen image of space.
To return to normal I have to press shift+f. The game doesn't exit fullscreen mode, but it unlocks.
that happened to me too before I altered the descriptions.plist according to how it's described above..

I am curious about other features that are described, as I am mostly testing my carrier.
I did try out the <key>hasShipyard</key>, but neither followed by <real>5</real> or <integer>5</integer> did it open up the shipyard.. I've misunderstood something..
I was surprised to see the passenger/carrier market open though (at least I feel pretty sure this was impossible before)
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Murgh wrote:
Lucidor wrote:
..I go to the planet info screen (7) in fullscreen mode, the game freezes in the mode it was before I pressed 7. If I'm at the star map, it continues do display the map, if I'm out in space, it displays a frozen image of space.
that happened to me too before I altered the descriptions.plist according to how it's described above..

I am curious about other features that are described, as I am mostly testing my carrier.
I did try out the <key>hasShipyard</key>, but neither followed by <real>5</real> or <integer>5</integer> did it open up the shipyard.. I've misunderstood something..
I was surprised to see the passenger/carrier market open though (at least I feel pretty sure this was impossible before)
** goes to check **

D'oh!!!!!!

I put the code in the wrong place. (Fixed in r528)

The code's detecting the shipyard - but it's where I check for the carrier market - not the shipyard. So, I know it's working now, just doing the wrong thing.

Perhaps I should go work for Microsoft.

lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

work for microsoft? no way.. you can't abandon us!
edible poet? onna stick?
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

aegidian wrote:
Perhaps I should go work for Microsoft.
please don't :(
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

Ah, now I get it. You have to replace the previous gui-scene-show-planet entry, not add the new one just under the first dict tag as I did first.